TKR I’m needing encouragement. Sure glad I found this place.

thanks all. I wish there was a way to reply to you individually. I’m in my bed using my phone and I have small hands. I will have to work on this.
HSP fits me to a T. I’ve always thought of it as a blessing. I can often tell what people are really thinking. Sensing others moods. I know which way to jump. The sensitivity parts can be hard- Crowds /noises are hard for me also. I can be very stubborn with respect to pain even though I feel it more. I have to look more into this.

Saw my PT today and she is an angel. We talked about my pain levels and she reminded me I was worried about this pre-op and met with her several visits to do what I could to prepare ahead of time. She evaluated me and was very complimentary. My leg is almost straight. 1 degree. She giggled and said that made her very happy. Bend was 80 and she said “don’t worry, it will get better. YOU ARE DOING GREAT. I started crying. I wanted to send her to the waiting room to tell my husband. I soaked it all up. And now it’s stored away for a rainy day.
Thanks so much to all of you for taking time to respond. My husband isn’t a bad guy. Just a very different idea of how you “support”.
I ❤️ all of you.

InkedMarie, I can get snarky but it takes a lot and I snap. I don’t handle it well.

Jcx. what you describe sounds ideal. It really is a lot of work for the caregiver. And they are entitled to get cranky occasionally.

Bees, I hope your recovery journey smooths out but I’m not anxious for you to leave. ;-) yeah never mind. I’m sure you’d love to see us in your rear view mirror

Last edited:
Lounge Doctor? Sounds like this is another wedge? I’ll have to go look
Here is a link for you:

My skin hurts. I don’t see anything other than bruises. Can I use cetaphil or cerave? I think the pants I had on were too rough

Skin sensitivity is very common. If you use a lotion, be sure not to use it directly on your incision. I found wearing shorts was the best answer along with a light massaging of the skin.

That’s why I wear knee length dresses rather than shorts or yoga pants. Much easier to get dressed. I took advice from a friend and bought stretchy knee length tee shirt style dresses. They won’t wrinkle, you can nap in them and it was money well spent.
I use unscented body lotion to combat the dry, flaky post op skin.

If any of you are inclined to be sceptical about the above, I urge you to read up on HSP.
I was relieved to read this as I now know why I am oversensitive to a lot of things particularly noies and now I can put a tag on it and know that there are others out there with the same problem - thank you!

Hang in there @Suzola !! Recovering from TKRs have been an emotional roller coaster ride for me! Lots of ups, lots of downs, lots of in betweens!

One of my favorite times of the day has been going to the gym (I've managed two outings in post-LTKR) to be around others in more than just availing of the machines. The Mrs has been pretty good support but I consciously avoid mentioning to her my struggles ... so she doesn't really know what it's like. At the gym there are a number of regulars who've had their own TKRs and we can "speak the same language", so to speak.

All the best on your recovery! This too shall pass!!

If you use a lotion, be sure not to use it directly on your incision. I found wearing shorts was the best answer along with a light massaging of the skin.
@FourCats ok good. Its around my ankles mostly. My whole leg is getting sensitive. So I see the Dr on Tuesday?

I'm having a great day today. I spent time getting organized yesterday. So I have a checklist of all the decisions I have to make and/or keep track of every day. I've been walking around in a fog. I normally kinda forget things, but now it's like 5 minutes later. LOL.
  • I'm weaning myself off the percocet. I think that greatly contributes to brain fog.
  • I've untethered myself from the ice machine.
    • I was spending too much time immobile/in bed etc.
    • My husband doesn't always have time to fill it.
    • I will still use it, especially at night.
  • I'm gonna see if I can set up a meeting with friends on zoom this week. Yay, socialize with someone besides husband.
I will come back later to celebrate when I actually do my heel slides. :heehee::heehee::loll:
That’s why I wear knee length dresses rather than shorts or yoga pants.
@kiwicurls Ha Ha, I don't think they make t-shirt dresses in my size. I'm not that big, just self-consious.
@FourCats Shorts might work. I have some longer ones. Kinda cold yet but soon.

BIG AHA. It is so much easier to post when I'm not on my phone.!!!

Suzola,
I have this that I use first thing in the morning. I get up before my husband & I’m not waking him to bring the ice machine out.

1650747440343.png

“Chattanooga Colpac - Blue Vinyl - Oversize Large Ice Pack - 11“ x 21“ by Donjoy​

Last edited by a moderator:
@Suzola, I am not small! I guess we’re all different but I wouldn’t be seen dead in shorts with my tree trunk legs. Plus, I am a girly girl who always prefers to wear dresses. Each to her own, I say.

@InkedMarie That looks great. I did something similar this morning for the same reason. I have a colpac for my knee. I unhooked from the machine an got a lot done (maybe too much) with icing breaks.

@kiwicurls Thats funny. I have tree trunk legs with thunder thighs. I bought a couple of dresses for when it gets warmer. We’ll see.

Big news! I did my heel slides. I have a little pain now. I’m icing.

Hi @Suzola ,@InkedMarie , I'm going to be like you and make use of the colpac. I just placed an order for the large one (only $17 at Amazon!) and hope to have it by tomorrow. I'm packing away my Breg Polar Cube as I haven't used it the last 7 days (out of my first 10 days post-op.)

All the best on your recoveries!!

@glidefloss i use both. In the morning my husband hasn’t filled up the cube with ice liked InkedMarie. If I want to snuggle up and sleep for a couple hours I use the cube. It’s comforting? But doesn’t it seem like there is always more to buy?

But doesn’t it seem like there is always more to buy?
It does and it caters to my predilection for "toys". I have a gel wrap that I use aftermi get back from the gym. It's big enough to wrap around the knee and the Velcro straps hold it very nicely in place, even allowing me to move around.

All the best!!

Ok time to fess up. I used a colpac this morning. I was wearing pants. After a minute or so it started to hurt. I put another thin cloth underneath and it still hurt. I put a blanket underneath and it still hurt. So I hope I f go ave not done any damage. I’ve been afraid to ice at all. My knee hurts but it hurt when I got up this morning. Maybe too many heel slides. The ice pack didn’t help. I’ll see my PT tomorrow.

I’ve attached a photo. You can see where it’s a little red right by the bandage. And my leg is one big bruise.

If anyone has any advice feel free. I didn’t think the ice was on long enough to burn but right after surgery who knows.

Attachments

• I’m needing encouragement. Sure glad I found this place.
    C33FB4F3-E37A-4A98-BCE4-A7B80723404C.jpeg
    110.2 KB · Views: 67
You are going to have pain here, there and everywhere for a while, and there won’t always be a specific reason. I doubt with so many cloths it was the colpac, but it definitely doesn’t hurt to be careful with it.

Go easy on the heel slides, you just need a gentle bend for mobility, and only a few at a time. Never cause yourself pain doing them.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere
Recent bookmarks