THR itsahippy recovery thread

Hi @itsahippy
It's recommended you use an assistive device until you're no longer limping.
If you're not limping and you're comfortable without the crutches. You don't need them.
You're on your way! :happydance:
A great weekend to you!

Hi itsahippy,
Looks like you and I had the surgery about the same time, Feb 6th for me. Anterior for the left side. Since we are also of similar age, it might be interesting to follow your progress, since it may be similar to mine.

@itsahippy When you start leaving your crutches behind it's a sign you no longer need them. You might try transitioning to a cane and then nothing. But as Layla advised, if you start limping at all go back to using your devices. Sounds like you are doing very well!

Thanks @Jaycey yep I’m pretty sure I don’t need crutches now; I still can’t walk for that long & do have aches & pains after but don’t feel crutches would help with that

If I do too much pottering about & not enough resting in n a day I do feel totally exhausted but that sounds normal

:wave:Sounding good there, @itsahippy
Glad to hear you are doing well!
Keep things slow and easy...and things will just keep improving!
Great job.:loveshwr:

Happy One Month Anniversary!
You're doing well! It is normal to tire easily. Your body has been through a lot and all of your energy is being for healing first, not leaving a lot for all of the other activities of daily living. Do your best to balance activity with rest as you continue healing. Make sleep a priority when you're able, our body does it's best healing while we're asleep.
Have a great rest of the week!
@itsahippy

It sounds like you are doing well for one month out! :flwrysmile:

Still having pain and discomfort at times is par for the course, but it sounds like you are handling it well, by not pushing too hard. It really takes awhile to build up your stamina and if you are able/willing to listen carefully to your body, you will see steady improvement. The hardest part once you start feeling better, is knowing when to take one more step, and when to stop.:SUNsmile:

Hi,

Thanks for asking. Today, the 9th, is 1 month, 3 days, but who is counting. :rofsign:
I go to the gym 4 days a week. Ride the recumbent bike at level 2, no resistance, for about 30 minutes.
Work on a sitting upper body machine for another 1/2 hour. No weight on the hip.

Once I'm done, head to the lounge for about another 30-45 min icing. Got to love the gym's endless ice machine.!!!
That's my day.

Everything is slowly getting put back into place. I am a little ahead of the curve, but still going slow. Go slow.

Your results my not be similar, but that's OK. Its not a race but a recovery.

Good for you, itsahippy! Sounds like you are doing great for one month out!
4 weeks post op tomorrow...

I’m probably better than I expected to be though not pain free. Walking is pretty good

Also, great mantra, @vern748

Everything is slowly getting put back into place. I am a little ahead of the curve, but still going slow. Go slow.
Your results my not be similar, but that's OK. Its not a race but a recovery.

Playing catch-up! Thanks @Debru4 Think you’ve hit the nail on the head there, it’s tricky to decide on that one more step - I usually find out when I’ve already done it Lol

Hi @vern748 you’re Acing it by the sounds of it! & you’re right our results aren’t quite the same...

Only 6 Ultra-Marathons & a 250 lengths of the pool this morning I need to pull my finger out ;-)

Japes aside... I’m amazed you’re able to exercise muscles to that degree when things must be a long way off healed & knitting back together, I’d have thought it would shred them! but if your surgeon has ok’d it then nice one

So... back on planet Earth it’s my 6 week checkup in a few days & I guess my situation is:-

Was going well - obviously long way to go but seemingly better & better

Last week or so however... felt a bit like I was going backwards a bit

Mechanics of walking is fine & I don’t feel as fragile but plenty of pain around the knee & Kneecap is extremely painful if I try to kneel on it. I had knee pain before but they said it was referred pain from hip - hoped it would have gone too but nurse I spoke to said post op knee pain is common

Also had a dose of shin splints again (pain in both shins) out of no-where... had that before op too in last month before op

General aches & pains which is normal for now I guess & also tire easily if i do too much

Part of the problem is little decent respite as chairs still uncomfortable & not sleeping well as bed isn’t either so not recharging batteries well

Hopefully it will sort itself out!

General aches & pains which is normal for now I guess & also tire easily if i do too much
Very Normal and that post op energy drain is For Real!:yawn:
Part of the problem is little decent respite as chairs still uncomfortable & not sleeping well as bed isn’t either so not recharging batteries well
Yea...that took a bit too get sorted for me.
Felt like I had super sensory overload...I could feel the hem on my sheets:sigh:

Things will get easier and better!:) :-) (:

@itsahippy - you sound as if you are doing very very well walking unaided at 4 weeks. I stopped using aids at 6 weeks but still used trekking poles for a while for longer walks.

Always a bit dangerous to make comparisons but I would say walking any distance unaided is harder than low level resistance on a cycling machine which is not working the muscles very hard but is getting them moving. I did however like the cycling machine early on post op because I was amazed at how smooth the new hip felt.

@itsahippy Your recovery sounds very normal. Especially the part about knee pain and tiring easily. Going backward a bit is all too common also as you start to feel comfortable and do a little more and pay the price. As I healed and progressed it was funny how slowly many of the pre-op aches and pains in all parts of my body returned.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
KatLink
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom