Revision THR In the waiting<

Hi there, @Break2
Sending you a big warm hug....just because.
I love your posts. Feel bad for all you're experiencing and am impressed by your resilience and determination.
Wishing you a great day!

Hubby says he’s jealous and wishes he could be home and not have the alarm clock every morning. I’d rather have the alarm clock than the pain clock that wakes me up!

My hubby and I had a similar conversation. I offered to go to work every day while he had surgery and recovery. He declined my offer!

I hope your upcoming appointment goes well and you can get some relief from pain.

Is the goal of pain management to eliminate pain or just make it more tolerable?
Betwixt and between, actually. It's almost impossible to eradicate pain completely.
I am interested in gait training. Can I teach myself or should I ask for PT prescription?
You cannot teach yourself. You need to find a suitably qualified PT.
I don’t understand why they lowered my prescription when I was still having significant pain.
Neither do I!
I have 8 ice packs and use 2 at a time. I switch them out about 4 times per day. It feels like they are losing their ability to stay really cold. Maybe I need to buy new ones or just switch them out more often.
I'm unaware that ice packs loose the ability to stay cold! That's just bizarre! I think it's more likely that your perception of 'cold' has changed.
I’ve been told I have adult ADD
That must make this stuff very difficult for you.

milk duds
What is this? :what:

@Break2 I just happened to see your amazingly beautiful tattoo in the hippy scars thread! I suppose that got wreaked in your latest surgery. I hope maybe your artist will be able to redo (or add to?) the work once you're done getting the hardware removed. How long after your prior surgeries did you get it?

I think you should ask hubby if you can hammer a couple of 3” nails in his thigh every 6 hours when he feels jealous of you being home. Even a good whack on the hip with the hammer would help him understand...

I’ve been very lucky, my partner and kids have been fantastic. After I broke the rod from my first surgery, they are telling me to slow down and take it easy.

@Josephine , milk duds are incredibly delicious little balls of caramel dipped in milk chocolate. Very chewy taffy like consistency. Best when eaten at the movie theater! Maybe not available in the UK?

True, my perception of cold has most likely changed. Ice still provides the most relief for my pain.

I can ask my OS for a gait training prescription. It should not be a problem.

@jaydub63 i had that tattoo done about 10 years after my first surgeries. I had just had the tattoo extended down my leg to cover the Fibular scar also only 4 days prior to my fall in January. It was still healing when I had the last surgery. I was very fortunate that the surgeons made their incisions along the branches and put them back together nicely. My surgeon said I may have to add a couple more branches, lol. He’s a good sport. However, the initial ER doctor at the first hospital told me that tattoos attract injuries. I wanted to injure her when she said that!

@Lucky man good for you that your family is supportive. I’ll have to try your suggestions next time mine starts complaining!

I think I'd be leery of infection from any tattoos post surgery.

Hope your day is sweet...
The pain alarm clock is one I knew well.
I'm not sure I got more than two hours per night for years pre-op and many months post-op.
Sleep deprivation can make us a bit SENSITIVE:hissy:
Glad you are sharing your journey and wishing you a Good Day:SUNsmile:

Hi @Break2
Just checking in to see if you are doing okay.:wave:

@Break2
I'm playing catchup on reading threads and just read through yours.
Wanted to know if you were able to get adequate pain relief from the
appointment last week.
I relate to the ice packs being our best friends. I use the Artic brand gel packs
(for picnic coolers) from Giant grocery but you can get the BIG ones on amazon.
The big ones stay frozen overnight.
Anyway just checking in and wishing you a pleasant weekend that's pain controlled!

Hi @Break2. I have just seen your journey and can sympathise. I too had a fall causing my stem to slip, fracture my femur, three fractures to my trochanter and a large one of 44mm to the head of my acetablum. I also had knee issues which turned out to be avascular necrosis of the patella and muscle atrophy.

My surgeon refused to operate on knee and hip at the same time so we chose knee first which would give me time to strengthen my muscles via supplements and exercise.. Knee is doing well except I am having to work on straightening. I see the surgeon on 27 June and will find out about Hip Revision which cannot come soon enough for me as I have a 5cm LLD and with the added bend from lack of knee straightening I find it almost impossible to walk more than 30 steps on tipeytoe with my left leg and a walker. I can however do full rotations on the cycle.

What LLD do you have? I bought some lifts for my shoes but as I cannot walk anywhere yet they patiently sit waiting for me.

I too have dental problems caused by gum drops ... love milk duds! Got something similar online from Holland last year.

I am sorry you re in pain and inactive. I miss my outdoor activities but cannot do most of my indoor hobbies due to not being able to stand except crochet.

I wish you well and a solution in the not too distant future.

:wave: hoping you would stop by and let us know how you are doing?
I know it has been a struggle but I'm hoping you have been seeing improvement in mobility and pain levels.
Wishing you a great weekend!:SUNsmile:

@Josephine, I can't figure out how to post under my original thread on the mobile apps. Would you please merge this post to my original thread for me?
Then it might show up where I can find it and post updates on my mobile apps.

Hi all! I've been off the grid for awhile. Quite frankly, I have been overwhelmed trying to run my business, meet family and home obligations, and deal with the pain from my January fracture. I had my hardware removal surgery on August 24 and they found that the stem they inserted in January was loose. I had to have another THR. This is why my pain was so bad between the surgeries. The doctors thought I was just looking for pain meds. By the time I left the hospital on August 25, the doctors let me pick whatever pain meds I wanted. Naturally, since they fixed the cause of my pain, I don't need strong pain meds now. Figures, right?

I have so much more I want to share, but don't want to bore anyone. I'm sorry I took a hiatus on posting. It has been a tough 8 months. Hardest thing I have ever done. Hope everyone is doing well. Thank you for being here!

@Break2 ,
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.

Sorry to hear you have gone through so much, glad you are finally on the mend and your hip is feeling better.

I just have read your story and am amazed how you have been coping! Honestly . . . it sounds like there is a little black cloud that has been following you around! Hopefully now that cloud is GONE!

You need to give us all "Tough" lessons so we can learn to cope like you have! Sounds like you are now on your way to a solid recovery. Best of luck!!

Reactions: REM
@Break2 Wow, I just read your thread. You have been through so very much...hard to find the words! So pleased to read that your pain levels are so much lower now and that you don't need strong pain meds. Also, you had to have another THR due to the loose stem! However, it sounds like you are finally on an upward healing path.
I had a sad smile over the doctors wanting to give you any kind of pain meds you want now! Really, the fact that you weren't listened to prior to that, with ALL that hardware in your leg alone, let alone the undiagnosed loose stem, is so wrong on many levels. It seems that the ones that really need the pain relief most, are suffering due to the opioid crisis. I know it is a complex issue, but something needs to be done for those in genuine need. You mentioned wanting to print out your x-rays and post through out your home as a visual reminder to your family. Perhaps a laminated copy worn as a necklace to the doctor's office would have also provided a visual reminder when renewing/reiewing your meds!
You are an inspiration on how to cope with adversity. Wishing you the very best for solid, positive healing and a return to comfort and an enjoyable life.

I have so much more I want to share, but don't want to bore anyone.
My dear lady, you're not boring any one! Please, share with us all you want to!

• Agree
Reactions: REM

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dcytpoti
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom