Recent content by zauberflöte

  1. zauberflöte

    THR Solar7's Upcoming Surgery

    Hi @Solar7 ! That's astounding to me, that the AVN is stopping and/or reversing, and I hope that trend continues! As to your ortho office... sounds like a mess but I hope things will progress more normally asap! I'll mention the OS remark to you that you'll be driving at two weeks but not...
  2. zauberflöte

    THR Live alone and home same day

    @Scaredykat I'm glad there is someone close by!! After my first hip, age 61, my blood pressure tanked and I spent a few weeks freezing cold and very weak and dragged out. I greatly enjoyed DH fixing supper every night-- freezer food, easy for him. He also did all cat care for 5 days. By then I...
  3. zauberflöte

    THR Dad, 88, up for hip replacement - is it a good idea?

    Hi @oolon -- my mom's (partial) hip replacement happened when she was a few months shy of 92, and she recovered pretty darn well! She was in memory care, had late-stage dementia-probably-Alzheimers, was exceedingly frail, and sheared the neck of the femur turning around in her walker to pick up...
  4. zauberflöte

    THR Live alone and home same day

    Hi @Scaredykat and welcome! I know there have been people here who have done that successfully. I think they were very well prepared beforehand, as they couldn't send household helpers out for ice at 3:00am! I myself would hate to be faced with that. I have an anxious outlook on my operated-on...
  5. zauberflöte

    THR Recovery---Ups and Downs to be Expected?

    Hi @Ruth123 and belated happy birthdays! I just turned 71 and can honestly tell you that I'm jealous of your recovery!:heehee: Your trip to Spain, coming where it did in your recovery timeline, would have sidelined me for months! Regarding your new pain, I am no doctor, but if I were having...
  6. zauberflöte

    THR Worsening pain

    Hi @Lynno does the pain feel like you are sitting on it? There is this thing called Piriformis Syndrome, which is a huge pain in the behind from one little muscle. There's an article in the Bonesmart library about it. My rear-thigh pain is almost all from a malfunctioning sacroiliac joint, but...
  7. zauberflöte

    THR Slow recovery

    @zoemonelle1977 , @Merrimay is an impossible act to follow, but I remembered today something I often do for my back when it's feeling like it wants relaxing, specifically the lower back. I do this lying in bed or sitting in a chair, and even while driving! It's just a small, slow, very gentle...
  8. zauberflöte

    THR Slow recovery

    Awwww @zoemonelle1977 I know exactly how all that tension feels, and I also understand the reluctance to take diazepam. How does a warm bath (or shower if you can't bathe yet) affect you (setting aside the hip for a moment)? Would it relax you? How about a heating pad on its lowest heat for your...
  9. zauberflöte

    THR Worried about posterior approach

    Hi @ChickensMom ! I had anterior, so maybe my experiences aren't really germane, but I can tell you about the "keep your foot pointed straight forward" and how it's affected me. My right hip was10 years ago. When I was discharged, one of the things I was to avoid for a while was using the right...
  10. zauberflöte

    THR First Time Surgery Questions

    @RedbirdFL for whatever reason, this was not an issue at all for me. My regular undies are high-enough cut, and I guess the elastic on whatever I was wearing then was soft enough not to scratch. I do remember buying some boy-short kind, and cannot remember anything useful about what I did with...
  11. zauberflöte

    THR Right hip replacement Feb 28th

    No no no no!!! Good heavens you are not even two weeks! I'm glad you stood up to your PT. And so glad to hear your first hip feels so good. The new one will get there, as you know. :happydance:
  12. zauberflöte

    THR A New Ride Begins - The Puckhead's recovery

    "Head. Puck Head" has a sort of a ...... very strange ring to it.... @thepuckhead ..... I will bet you there is a seminar/intensive class thingy for writing mysteries just as there is Clarion and Clarion West for SF! There must be a formula or algorithm for mysteries. I know!! Ask chatGPT to...
  13. zauberflöte

    THR Things you wish you'd known...

    Very good question @Bambi28 ! I can think of two things, both of which I was unprepared for on my first hip. "The lady who came to sell me hard on the hospital brand of home PT and home nurse" (for wound care). She had options, but since I didn't know she was coming I was totally unprepared...
  14. zauberflöte

    THR First Time Surgery Questions

    @RedbirdFL as @Eman85 says, you will probably be numbed up pretty darn good, but it varies as to how long that lasts, and there's also the swelling to consider. Perhaps whoever's taking you home could go out during your op and buy a couple of economy-size bags of frozen peas or corn. Or, a bag...
  15. zauberflöte

    THR Anesthesia

    @Lulu1016 definitely talk with the anaesthesiologist. My OS much preferred GA so his patients would be "like rag dolls" , and I had no problem allowing that. I definitely understand your hesitation!
Back
Top Bottom