Recent content by Will in DC

  1. W

    THR Will in DC's THR recovery

    Had the 4 week follow-up yesterday, all good. No movement restrictions, X-rays look good, strength excellent and mobility is good and improving. When I saw the X-ray from right after the surgery, the stem looked like it was not fully seated in the femur. There is a little sort of flange at...
  2. W

    THR Will in DC's THR recovery

    15 days after - walking without the cane, incision looks good, more pain in other muscles adapting than from the surgery itself. Getting dressed is easier, and I'm mostly sleeping on my side. Could easily drive, but haven't needed to, as I took two full weeks off work and will telework for a...
  3. W

    THR Will in DC's THR recovery

    Thanks Raylo. You asked how I came to need a THR at 51...well, I knew by 37 that I would need one by 50. I was very athletic, a fairly high level rock climber for almost 30 years, and have some.slight scoliosis that.loads the right hip sub-optimally. I was always climbing, lifting, hiking, or...
  4. W

    THR Will in DC's THR recovery

    8 days post. Swelling is noticeably down, but fatigue is persistent. Ive been taking a nap or two everyday for the last few days, and sleeping longer in the morning,.often getting up to tske meds, applying an ice pack and getting right back in bed for another couple hours. .I can walk fine...
  5. W

    THR Will in DC's THR recovery

    6 days post. Transitioned to the cane today, and started tapering the tramadol from 4x a day down to 3x. I'll do 2 days at 3x, 2 days 2x, and 2 days 1x at bedtime.Finished the Keflex and have not needed the colcace. Raylo, I'm not sure what the dressing is, seems like it would be waterproof to...
  6. W

    THR Will in DC's THR recovery

    Double posted.
  7. W

    THR Will in DC's THR recovery

    Five days post. My care partner, who was spending days with me, returned to their home city last night, now on my own. Strength is there, but stiffness has kept me using the walker because I feel like I'm not 100% steady when first starting to walk after prolonged sitting or sleeping. Had the...
  8. W

    THR Will in DC's THR recovery

    75hrs post, feeling slightly more pain when walking, but a max of 3, and no real pain when not moving. No need for any more oxycodone, just tramadol, Tylenol, celebrex, as scheduled. In-home PT started yesterday, very basic stuff that I was already doing, glute and quad isometric contractions...
  9. W

    THR Will in DC's THR recovery

    Hi Hippie, agree that a walker basket would be great. I bought a kit of accessories off Amazon that included one grabber (though I can tell it's not heavy duty enough for all my needs, and if I ever drop it a second one would be handy to retrieve it). That kit has the long shoe horn with hooks...
  10. W

    THR Will in DC's THR recovery

    Thanks everyone. Raylo, I appreciate the warning, and have anticipated that days 2-4 will likely be the worst... psychologically prepared and that's half the battle. I chose Dr. Harb based on his stellar reputation, and I wanted somene with enough experience, but still young enough that...
  11. W

    THR Will in DC's THR recovery

    Hello, sitting here 9hrs post op, and since I found these threads useful when preparing for surgery, thought I'd share my experience. Male, 51, right anterior THR. Titanium stem, ceramic ball, HDPE cup. Dr. Matthew Harb of the Center for Advanced Orthopedics in Washington DC, with surgery at...
Back
Top Bottom