Recent content by wahoou

  1. W

    THR Update 9 months post op...

    Hi all, Just wanted to give a quick update now that I am 9 months post op. I had surgery in early February 2023. As background, I was surprised I needed a hip replacement as my pain radiated in my hip flexor and not my hip. That said, I had trouble putting on my socks and tying my shoe on my...
  2. W

    THR Update 9 months post op...

    @myglasshalffull: I think an MRI is far more useful re: determining source of sciatica than an X-Ray. I had an X-Ray to make sure that the hip was still in the correct position and after doing some physical tests, the surgeon predicted I had a disk issue and then ordered an MRI of my lower...
  3. W

    THR Leg spasms post THR

    Hi Maluna, I spoke to my neurologist at length re: options for sciatica pain. I had read about Gabapentin and she/the neurologist said that in her experience, Lyrica had fewer side effects and in general, a better outcome vs Gabapentin. Have you had an MRI of your lower back/lumbar area...
  4. W

    THR Update 9 months post op...

    Hi all, Thought I would give an update as I am 3 months post op. I developed sciatica soon after my operation and an MRI revealed a bulging disk in the L4/L5 vertebrae. It's funny how one goes into surgery hoping to correct one issue and comes out with another! Met with a neurologist and...
  5. W

    THR Update 9 months post op...

    Thanks @Layla! I had an EMG with the neurologist a week ago and while it wasn't exactly a "pleasant" test...lol! - it revealed that the nerve issue only pertains to the outer core of the nerve (which relates to pain/sensation) and does not involve any muscles which is good news! Just had a...
  6. W

    THR Update 9 months post op...

    You know, I have to give my surgeon a LOT of credit! I wrote to him a week or so ago, and said I thought I had neuropathy or sciatica. Fast forward and at my appointment, he ran a series of flexion tests which went well. And then he said, "I want you to walk on your heels and toes; can you do...
  7. W

    THR Update 9 months post op...

    Thanks @CricketHip! I just had a consultation with a neurologist this morning and she ran an EMG and performed other tests. The good news is that the the nerve issue is contained to the outer core of the nerve (which she explained - relates to sensation/numbness and pain). The inner core of...
  8. W

    THR Update 9 months post op...

    @benne68, Thanks for your response and ideas regarding sciatica. I have read that disk issues, in some cases, can resolve on their own accord with PT and exercise. But I gather every situation/person is different. I think there is a window re: bulging disks and a lot depends upon treatment...
  9. W

    THR Update 9 months post op...

    Hi all, I have an update! I spent the afternoon at the hospital; I had a 7 week check up with the surgeon and he took a new x-ray. He tested my range of motion; looked at my gate and ran other physical tests. The good news is that my hip looks great; the bad news is that he suspects a bulging...
  10. W

    THR Update 9 months post op...

    I cancelled my remaining appointments with the physio and will review with the surgeon next week (will have an x-ray taken before the consultation)! Thanks for all of your thoughts/advice; I really appreciate it! PS... I rarely did the bridges (I am not the best patient/student...lol!). I...
  11. W

    THR What's THR recovery like?

    Okay...So I was a pretty fit person coming into this anterior hip replacement surgery and I thought it would be a breeze. Except...it has not been! I was told by the OS that I have very dense bones and surgery was "not easy" for him. Fast forward, 6 weeks post op, and if I walk longer than 2...
  12. W

    THR Update 9 months post op...

    @Layla Thank you for the great advice! @Eman85 The only exercises I have been given are the bridge (to strengthen glutes) and some core exercises. I told the physio that I had some shin and ITB pain and so she worked (deep tissue massage) on the ITB and my glute but I think it was too vigorous...
  13. W

    THR Update 9 months post op...

    @Eman85 I was using hyperbole to be fair. But let's just say, the session with the physio was painful to say the least! The one good outcome is that it drew me to search online for hip recovery sites and I found this one! What a resource/trove of info and wish I had found it sooner... I will...
  14. W

    THR Update 9 months post op...

    @Mojo333 I had an anterior replacement of my right hip on Feb 6, 2023. Thanks for your support and links; I already perused the articles and they are very helpful! @Caison113 Thanks for your comments and thoughts about PT! I am going to try and take things much more slowly and give my hip a...
  15. W

    THR Update 9 months post op...

    Hi all, I stumbled on this forum this weekend while researching hip recovery sites. As background, I am a 58 year old former competitive tennis player (played competitively at college and after) and now a Pickleball convert! I thought I had tweaked a hip flexor during a Pickleball match last...
Back
Top Bottom