Recent content by vhoudy

  1. vhoudy

    TKR 7 months out and still painful

    I'm in the same boat! Had my surgery just a few days before you. I still have pain at the top of my knee and the back of my knee. The pain at the top of my knee only hurts when I'm lifting my leg (doing a leg lift or going up stairs, and the back of my knee hurts when I bend it past 90...
  2. vhoudy

    TKR Poking My Head Above the Water - New Knee 11/5/13

    Just returned from a three week vacation that involved A LOT of walking. I am happy to report that I did just fine! I was so worried my knee wouldn't be up to all of that walking and that I would hold my husband back from being able to do all we wanted to do, but we were able to do it all so I...
  3. vhoudy

    TKR Poking My Head Above the Water - New Knee 11/5/13

    @Spiritbee51, so glad to hear you are getting closer to a pain free knee. It is very helpful to hear from others at the same stage of recovery. Yes, things are getting better, and it's good to reflect back a few months to get some perspective on the current level of pain. I took an Aleve...
  4. vhoudy

    TKR Poking My Head Above the Water - New Knee 11/5/13

    Hi @GimpyGal, so glad to hear your trip to the East Coast was a good one. I know you were worried about how your knee would hold up. That is very encouraging to me. We leave on Friday for our trip to Chicago and to visit family in Southern Michigan. Since we are doing a lot of sightseeing...
  5. vhoudy

    TKR Poking My Head Above the Water - New Knee 11/5/13

    OK... It's now almost 7 months since my TKR and it still hurts. It is getting better, but at what I call glacial speed. It hurts the most when I bend my knee past 90 degrees. In PT I had up to 130 degree bend so I don't think that is a problem. I think I will start taking OTC pain relievers...
  6. vhoudy

    TKR HTO/TKR

    Hi @claire61, I just sent you a PM with the email address of my friend (his name is Doug) who had the ankle replacement. I told him about you and he is happy to answer questions and offer support for your surgery. He had his surgery in February and was in the hospital over night and went...
  7. vhoudy

    TKR HTO/TKR

    Hi Claire 61, my friend had his ankle replaced in February, and he is 60 years old. He first had to decide if he wanted to do a fusion or a replacement and did a huge amount of research and talked to a couple of ankle specialists, and finally decided the replacement was best for him. When he...
  8. vhoudy

    TKR HTO/TKR

    Hi All, Just thought I'd add some information here. A close friend of mine just had an ankle replacement due to server arthritis. He had the surgery done at Cedar Sinai Hospital in Los Angeles, CA. He had the surgery one day and went home the second day, with a 3 hour drive. He never...
  9. vhoudy

    TKR Poking My Head Above the Water - New Knee 11/5/13

    @Judlepip and @Spiritbee51 thanks for your definition of "stiff knee". I have had all kinds of other pain and interesting sensations after my knee replacement, but fortunately I don't think I have had that. Glad to hear you are feeling better Spiritbee51. Maybe we will all get past this...
  10. vhoudy

    TKR Poking My Head Above the Water - New Knee 11/5/13

    Hi All Four/Five Monthers - @chereb, @Judlepip, @Spiritbee51, @hoppy18, @Redlipstix, @GimpyGal Yes it seems we are a club now. chereb, I am very impressed that you are walking so far! Good for you! I walk a little over a mile twice a week, and go to the gym three days a week and that's about...
  11. vhoudy

    TKR Poking My Head Above the Water - New Knee 11/5/13

    Hi Redlipstix, You are so right about it being a long recovery with ups and downs added in. I'm sorry to hear about your fall. That is something I have been very afraid of happening. I hope nothing was damaged, and I agree if it doesn't get better soon a trip to the doctor sounds like a good...
  12. vhoudy

    TKR Poking My Head Above the Water - New Knee 11/5/13

    I am so sorry to hear there are some of us who are still struggling at about the 5 month mark. Especially chereb, who has her hands full with her children, and the knee pain. I think we should keep in touch so we can report how we're doing and support each other. I'm sure it will get...
  13. vhoudy

    TKR Poking My Head Above the Water - New Knee 11/5/13

    Our internet service went down so using my cell phone. I went back to going to the gym three days a week. Riding recumbent bike, doing leg raises, upper body weights, and pilates. Doesn't seem to make.a difference in my knee pain, but does help strenghten my musceles and make it easier to...
  14. vhoudy

    TKR Poking My Head Above the Water - New Knee 11/5/13

    We have a lot in common! The numbness on the outside of my knee has gone, but I am left with the "tight band" feeling along the lower front of my knee. It doesn't hurt or anything, but it's a weird sensation that I could live with if I have to. I haven't tried kneeling yet. I think I'm a...
  15. vhoudy

    TKR Poking My Head Above the Water - New Knee 11/5/13

    It does help to know I'm not alone. Thanks, GimpyGal. Everyone says it takes at least a year to recover, but I really thought at 5 months I would have less pain. Like you, I have resumed my normal (pre-surgery) activities, but every time I bend my knee to get out of the car it hurts. Every...
Back
Top Bottom