Recent content by TrailGuy

  1. TrailGuy

    THR Two-Plus years out, shouldn't I be past this?

    1. Anterior, surgery date was April 7, 2016 2. 1-2 except when it gets sore, then 5-8 3. No pain meds. I was on Tramadol after the surgery, but used it sparingly. 4. Not icing; it’s pretty ephemeral, comes and goes. 5. Not elevating 6. I am fairly active. My work is trail design and...
  2. TrailGuy

    THR Two-Plus years out, shouldn't I be past this?

    Sorry to take so long to answer. I am supposed to be following this thread, but got no notice of any replies. I've been pretty active, following doctors and PT protocols/advice. I've hiked a lot, do it as part of my work, and carry a pack that weighs around 20 pounds. So fire away with questions.
  3. TrailGuy

    THR Two-Plus years out, shouldn't I be past this?

    Had my left hip replacement in April 2016. The surgeon told me I'd be good to go in 6 months, but I later learned his definition of "good to go" is that it was unlikely to dislocate. My PT told me two years to full recovery. There's still some soreness in the upper quadriceps, but it's usually...
  4. TrailGuy

    THR Weight bearing issue 14 months out

    Update: After three acupuncture treatments there is a marked improvement. One of my benchmarks is walking up a flight of stairs. Before I began treatment I had to use the handrail because full weight was too painful. Now I walk up without using the handrail. He has begun working on breaking down...
  5. TrailGuy

    THR Weight bearing issue 14 months out

    Hmm, I checked to follow this and my previous post but got no notifications. Anyway, I had a previously scheduled appointment with my acupuncturist for this morning, and he was pretty sure it was greater trochanteric bursitis, which he said would not be uncommon after THR. We will do weekly...
  6. TrailGuy

    THR Weight bearing issue 14 months out

    Is it within normal parameters to develop pain when putting weight on my leg (e.g. going up stairs) more than a year after the replacement? I had my hip replacement in April 2016 and recovery went well until the last couple of months. Now I can't put full weight on it when going upstairs...
  7. TrailGuy

    THR Weight bearing issue 14 months out

    Thought I'd check in to get an idea of what to expect now that I am a year out. I am able to work, which requires hiking in sometimes rugged country to design trails. (Yes, it IS a great job!) I've tried to be careful, doing with the PTs say to do and not doing what they say not to do. They had...
  8. TrailGuy

    THR Taking a big risk by posting

    Hi Kathy. We all process these things in our own way, and there is no "right" way. I had my hip replacement a little over a year ago. I had high expectations, exacerbated by the doctor's very different definition of recovery (the point at which it has healed enough to be unlikely to dislocate...
  9. TrailGuy

    THR Three Months Out

    While I was able to walk without a walker the day I got out of the hospital, my PT emphasized the need to stay on it for 6 weeks to promote healing. I was able to walk well enough to cut that to 5 weeks (no pain, minimal limp) and used the cane for a few weeks. From what people on this forum and...
  10. TrailGuy

    THR Three Months Out

    Was wondering if anybody has been experiencing low back issues post-op. I've always had some low back pain, usually manageable with stretching and avoiding strains. They have been a lot worse since the surgery, and I am wondering if the abductor/adductor exercises are contributing. Have an...
  11. TrailGuy

    THR Horse care questions ?

    Hi Dakota. My recommendation would be to resist the temptation to do too much too soon, and let your body, PTs and doctor help you decide when you can do what. I had to lower my expectations when I realized that walking more than a half mile, lifting-carrying-pushing objects more than 10 or so...
  12. TrailGuy

    Depression/post-op blues - open for all

    I am finding myself dealing with depression -- a rare experience for me -- because of the forced sedentary lifestyle. Walking more than short distances is not yet an option (my THR was April 7), and I have been active in the outdoors pretty much all my life. Rest so my body can repair itself is...
  13. TrailGuy

    THR Three Months Out

    Since my THR (anterior, April 7) my progress has been mostly good; I was off the walker in three weeks (driving in two) and have taken pain meds twice since my release from the hospital. I have been careful to heed the do's and don'ts from the PTs, and did strengthening exercises for six weeks...
Back
Top Bottom