Recent content by Stephplum

  1. S

    Ankle Ankle Injury Recovery encouragement

    Just checking in on the one year anniversary of my accident. A year ago today... I slipped in the backyard and broke my ankle. Success today! I was managed the annual gardening/planting without any problems. As most of you said, time can cure all. The hardware is less bothersome. I...
  2. S

    Ankle Recovery from Bimalleolar Fracture

    Hi @Sprill, That is great news that you can now put some weight on your foot. Glad to hear you aren’t in much pain. So much dry skin! It is amazing how long that lasts. Every shower it seemed like my skin just flaked off. It does end. My big toe took a really long time to be able to...
  3. S

    Ankle Ankle Injury Recovery encouragement

    @CricketHip , yes I am still icing after hiking. It does help. thanks for the encouragement. @benne68 thanks for the encouragement. Thinking back it is almost hard to remember when I couldn’t walk at all. I know it will continue to improve and one day, I’ll just be walking and not have...
  4. S

    Ankle Ankle Injury Recovery encouragement

    Mid trip check in. Airplane ride was uneventful. I did wear the compression socks and they must have helped. Full day of flights and two hour drive to get to the final destination. No swelling or pain. second day. We went to Bandelier NM. This consisted of about 1.5 mile hike/walk. Difficulty...
  5. S

    Ankle Recovery from Bimalleolar Fracture

    Hi @Sprill. Like you I had an ankle fracture with surgery to repair. My story is here. Thread 'Ankle Injury Recovery encouragement' https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/ankle-injury-recovery-encouragement.70675/ I don’t want to scare you but 3 months would be very optimistic for being...
  6. S

    Ankle Ankle Injury Recovery encouragement

    Today is the day! The ankle has been a little bit swollen this week, I think due to all the weather changes. 70 one day and 30 the next with snow. Im excited to travel but nervous. I have my compression socks, knee brace, mole foam and ziplocks for ice packs at the end of the day! I feel...
  7. S

    Ankle Ankle Injury Recovery encouragement

    Another month (plus a week or so), 9.5 months from surgery. @FCBayern , the mole foam helped but not enough to wear the hiking boots. I did use it with just my hiking shoes, since when I moved over uneven ground, the tops of my shoes rubbed the bottom screw and plate. That provided some extra...
  8. S

    Ankle Ankle Injury Recovery encouragement

    Another periodic update and a little pity party. I am now 8 months post surgery. ADLs and average everyday walking on paved surfaces, it is all fine. I have very little to no pain or swelling. It actually has me feeling like I am almost back to normal. I'm keeping up with my home...
  9. S

    Ankle Ankle Injury Recovery encouragement

    Mostly updating to keep my full log of my recovery here. Another month gone by, now 6 months post surgery. I won't say I don't feel the hardware in my ankle but it doesn't bother me very much. I do know it is there and feel it every day. Steps have been conquered and can do them normally...
  10. S

    Ankle Ankle Injury Recovery encouragement

    Major (to me) milestone this week. I stepped down a step with my right leg (good one) and then left (recovering) one. My PT last week focused on stepping. Some gentle bending/stretching and then the therapist encouraged me to go down a step. I had been practicing on my own but wasn’t very...
  11. S

    Ankle Ankle Injury Recovery encouragement

    It is weird but I guess I can now measure my recovery in months, not weeks. I am 5.5 months out from my ORIF surgery on my left ankle. While not back to normal, I can see marked improvements in the last month. Positive update Grocery trips - my first grocery trip was a partial trip through...
  12. S

    Ankle Ankle Injury Recovery encouragement

    Update: Well I fell into overdoing it. Since July, I've been back at work. I am able to work from home so I've been fully remote. Before the injury, I was going into the office 3 days a week. I tried going in one day. Unfortunately, it was a bad day with long meetings and then dinner with...
  13. S

    Ankle Ankle Injury Recovery encouragement

    Update. Last week I had my FINAL Dr appointment. I didn't realize that it was the last one until I met with the Dr but unless I have problems, he doesn't need to see me again. My questions: Sharp stabbing pain. Sometimes I get this when my foot is at rest. Doesn't really happen when I am...
  14. S

    Ankle Ankle Injury Recovery encouragement

    Update this week. I am a few days behind since PT was on Wednesday and not the normal Tuesday. All in all, progress is slowly improving. I don't feel like anything big happened this week, just more little incremental improvements. My next Dr appointment is on Tuesday (9/20). Anything that...
  15. S

    Ankle Ankle Injury Recovery encouragement

    Update: I'll start with good news or improvements: much more strength in my left leg. I was able to handle the one-leg toe press that I tried two weeks ago and my leg shook and wasn't good at moving anything. balance exercises went well. I can bend my big toe!! I have been agonizing over...
Back
Top Bottom