Recent content by SFBaySailor

  1. S

    TKR Sailor's Recovery Thread

    @lavender Hi, Holly, I'm so glad to hear that your 2nd TKR went much better!! That is great news, and I'm very happy for you :egypdance: I probably won't be posting much, either, so I will in turn wish you all the best! Take care.
  2. S

    TKR Sailor's Recovery Thread

    @lavender Hi Holly, Thanks for the message. I'm glad to hear that you are getting your left TKR done, and I really hope that you see good results, especially with the ROM. I'm getting along OK with my knee. As I said in the post to Maria, there is no real pain, just a sense of irritation and...
  3. S

    TKR Sailor's Recovery Thread

    @daughter stalker , Hi, Maria, Thanks for the reply! Yes, there are quite a few similarities in the way our knees have been behaving. At this point, though, I'm going to go with flow, and put off any revision as long as I can. Who knows, maybe I can go until the spacer wears out on its own, and...
  4. S

    TKR Sailor's Recovery Thread

    @patient 99 Hi, Carol, My support brace is wider at the top than it is at the bottom. At the top, it measures 14 inches, and my leg is 15". At the bottom it measures 12 inches, and my leg is 13 inches. So it provides compression, which helps reduce swelling. The support is provided by 2...
  5. S

    TKR Sailor's Recovery Thread

    I agree that it was bad luck. But, it could have been worse. I could have had an infection, or I could have ended up with very poor ROM. I really think the original OS knew about my laxity going into the surgery. How could he have not? He examined my knee for 10 years prior, and he knew about my...
  6. S

    TKR Sailor's Recovery Thread

    @patient 99 Carol, I just recalled reading your thread a few weeks ago. Didn't you get a 2nd opinion, and didn't they determine that it was scar tissue? Roger
  7. S

    TKR Sailor's Recovery Thread

    @Lauramacky Hi, Laura, Hard to say if your swelling & clunking is just residual, or if there is a problem. Most likely it's residual. A 2nd opinion would be required. I hope it doesn't bother you too much.. Roger
  8. S

    TKR Sailor's Recovery Thread

    @patient 99 Carol, Yes, exactly. The knee is very functional, I have great ROM (0/130), and good strength. The problem is that the ligaments are too loose because they weren't balanced in the TKR. So, with any amount of activity, the looseness causes irritation and tendonitis. This builds up...
  9. S

    TKR Sailor's Recovery Thread

    I am going to get fitted for the rigid knee brace, and see how that plays out. It's not like I'm debilitated or anything like that. I can function fine. Sailing, yardwork, walking, travel, all OK for now. I just have some minor swelling and irritation, and of course, the clunking. But it's good...
  10. S

    TKR Sailor's Recovery Thread

    @Lauramacky @patient 99 Thanks, ladies. Yes, that's good advice. Although my anger certainly was not directed towards my wife, she was a little put off by having to be around me when I get that way. I can't remember the last time I've been that angry. It's just not me. I will certainly do...
  11. S

    TKR Sailor's Recovery Thread

    @Lauramacky Laura, Glad to hear you finished your home PT, and you're doing better. I understand about the meds. Redoing the PT is not one of the things I'm looking forward to on this revision. I think I'm leaning towards getting the rigid knee brace, and putting off the revision as long as I...
  12. S

    TKR Sailor's Recovery Thread

    My feeling is that the first OS was probably aware of the looseness in my ligaments, but he used a posterior stabilized knee in the belief (or hope) that it would be enough to alleviate the looseness. The revision specialist also suggested this may have been the case, and that is when he...
  13. S

    TKR Sailor's Recovery Thread

    @Jamie Thanks. I still need to finish up my dental implant work, which I have appointments in Oct & Nov, and I need to travel for that. So I'm thinking about having the revision done next year, although I'm not sure what time of the year. Hopefully, the knee brace will buy me some time. I can...
  14. S

    TKR Sailor's Recovery Thread

    Laura, You said nothing wrong! Sorry, I forgot to reply about your friend with the ALS. It's true that other people are worse off than I am. BTW, I still need to take the ALS ice bucket challenge...lol. How is your knee doing? Roger
  15. S

    TKR Sailor's Recovery Thread

    Carol, The revisionist is obviously very good. He is on the list of doctors here on Bonesmart. He was also recommended by my PT, who sees a lot of his cases and said that they almost always have good outcomes. He does more revisions than he does first time TKRs. All he did was take some X-Rays...
Back
Top Bottom