Recent content by sfbaylover

  1. sfbaylover

    THR Approaches input: Direct Anterior vs. Direct Superior with Dual Mobility cup (aka Superpath)

    Congratulations on the new hip. Celebration time. It’s going to feel awesome to no longer have that bad hip.
  2. sfbaylover

    THR SCFE and Total Hip Replacement

    Mojo, Thank you for the response. Yes, I didn’t proceed with surgery back when I had planned on having it done, but I’m definitely having my hips replaced this year. I procrastinated and sort of hemmed and hawed and found excuses to put off having the surgery, but It’s overly apparent to me...
  3. sfbaylover

    THR Approaches input: Direct Anterior vs. Direct Superior with Dual Mobility cup (aka Superpath)

    I’m ready to schedule my hip replacement surgery, but I’m conflicted as to which surgeon to use. I, too, have consulted with Dr. Yun ( this was back in 2019) but also have seen (and last saw) Dr. Jay J Patel at Hoag Orthopedic Institute in Irvine, CA, and both surgeons are highly regarded and...
  4. sfbaylover

    THR Live alone and home same day

    I need to have my right hip replaced but I’m worried about how I will manage the first week or so following surgery because my living situation is not very stable at the moment (It’s a long story). I’m 48 and in excellent health and shape otherwise, though, so I’m hoping that I will not only...
  5. sfbaylover

    THR THR Legg Calve Perthes

    I had SCFE at age 13 and had to have both hips pinned as a result. Unfortunately, my hips were never normal and I had to spend the subsequent decades running on abnormal hips. Specifically, both my hips were always stiff and I never had full range of motion on either side. Looking back, it sort...
  6. sfbaylover

    THR Covid-19 cancellation

    I worry that my THR surgery will be rescheduled as well. My surgery date is June 16, and as of now, my surgery is still scheduled. But considering how things are going related to the Covid-19 issue, I wouldn't be surprised if my surgery gets rescheduled. It doesn't help things that my surgery is...
  7. sfbaylover

    Where are are the guys on here?!

    @JayP What a bummer to have grown up with bad hips, huh? Personally, the psychological impacts were just as devastating as were the physical impacts. Luckily, however, I was able to be very active through adolescence and young adulthood, but my hips just never felt "right" and unfortunately...
  8. sfbaylover

    Where are are the guys on here?!

    @Ausvaldo Male checking in here. I'm 45 and planning on having right THR done in the near future. I actually have an appointment to see Dr. Thomas Vail in San Francisco in December. He has a great reputation and is very experienced, so I'm likely going to have the surgery done by him. I live...
  9. sfbaylover

    LTHR - HSS Surgeon

    @SelfHelp Thank you again for recommending both Dr. Dorr and Dr. Yun to me. I appreciate the effort it took for you to post the links associated with each surgeon. I knew of Larry Dorr but not of Dr. Yun, but I had never extensively researched Dr. Dorr prior to reading your links. And then I...
  10. sfbaylover

    LTHR - HSS Surgeon

    @SelfHelp I actually met with Dr. Andrew Yun just yesterday out in Santa Monica. I brought the x-rays that I had taken at Dr. Lawrence Dorr's office a few weeks ago and brought them to my consultation with Dr. Yun. He agreed that my hips are bad (the right one much more so) and said that he's...
  11. sfbaylover

    Shin pain

    @linette333 Yes, I have the same problem. I actually have two bad hips -- the right hip is severe; the left hips is moderate -- and I have never had much actual hip joint pain at all, in either hip. My pain has always been in my shins and knees and lower back -- but rarely ever any hip joint...
  12. sfbaylover

    LTHR - HSS Surgeon

    Thank you again for the recommendations. I have booked an appointment with Dr. Lawrence Dorr for this upcoming Monday at 1:30pm. I am excited to meet with him. His practice/hospital is only about 20 miles from me, so he's very close by. He is a very experienced and renowned surgeon, so I have...
  13. sfbaylover

    LTHR - HSS Surgeon

    @SelfHelp Thank you very much for the recommendations. Yes, I do live in the LA area (I'm in Cerritos, to be exact). I have not heard of Dr. Andrew Yun. I will read up on him and check him out further. Thank you for that info. I have actually heard of (and researched somewhat) Dr. Lawrence...
  14. sfbaylover

    LTHR - HSS Surgeon

    I'm from California but had planned to have my hip replacement surgery done at HSS with Dr. Thomas P. Sculco, who is one of the more experienced hip surgeons at HSS. He used to be the chief of orthopedics (he's now chief emeritus) and has been doing hip and knee replacements since basically the...
  15. sfbaylover

    Dual mobility acetabular cup vs traditional implant #2

    This is a major concern for me -- the head/bearing size. I want to resume a high level of physical activity while not worrying so much about possible stability or dislocation issues, and from everything that I have read, a larger head seems to promote hip stability. I have two surgeons that I...
Back
Top Bottom