Thank you, Jamie! I will look into it. She has noticed that she has been more forgetful, but we will see if I can get her to admit it is something she needs treatment or therapies for. ;)
My mom finished her 6 weeks of Daptomycin with the PICC line and was put on oral Doxycycline. We see the ID doc and OS next week. Her recovery seems to be going well (knock on wood), but she has some lingering cognitive deficits which I suspect may be due to the general anesthesia (five times in...
@bockoman I am so sorry to hear about your wife's (and your) ordeal. That is a lot for one knee to go through. Was your wife on oral antibiotics when the first infection after the two-stage revision flared up?
My mom's original OS wanted to do a washout for staph epidermidis after her two-stage...
@LolaBee Thank you so much for the helpful information!!
@Jamie Hi Jamie, yes my mom has an infectious disease doctor involved. We see him again in a couple of weeks. Thanks!
@LolaBee Thank you!!
I am not familiar with "CPK lab numbers." What does that refer to?
I'm glad to see from your story that you are doing so well more than 1 year later. May I ask what probiotic you have been taking?
@TimeBuster Thank you so much! The implant is a Zimmer (if I find any further details, I will let you know). Good idea to make use of the ice packs. Happy New Year!
My mom's surgery went better than expected. Because the components were "grossly loose," it was easy to remove them, avoiding any "trauma" during the extraction process. My mom is now on a PICC line for Daptomycin. I believe all cultures have been negative thus far. I am still trying to get my...
TimeBuster, thank you so much! I'm glad to see you had a successful outcome after enduring a staph infection.
I spoke to the OS after dropping my mom off at the hospital. Given my mom's age and her prior complications, he said his goals are simply to extract and replace any loose components and...
Thank you, TimeBuster. Bonnie's story is so inspiring.
My mother is having a single-stage revision (5th surgery since her first TKR) tomorrow morning. If we had more time, I would insist that she be tested. We were "lucky" to have her surgery scheduled quickly, given COVID and the holidays...
Great question. No, I don't believe she has been tested for a metal allergy. I asked the OS about it, but he said he did not think it was necessary. As far as I know, my mother has never had a skin reaction from the implant, but I am not knowledgeable about metal allergy symptoms in TKR patients.
Thanks, Celle and Pumpkin.
My mom did have a hematology/oncology doctor working with her after her explant. But we don't have one currently working with her as we switched to a new OS for her latest surgery.
We actually never discussed the thrombocytosis with the new OS in person. But it is...
So sorry to hear about your infection. My mom has been through the same thing. But she had a complete explant, having already had a prior liner exchange due to a hematoma. She had a PICC line for Vancomycin and Daptomycin for 6 weeks, then was off of antibiotics for two weeks. Then she had...
Has anyone heard of a connection between thrombocytosis (excess platelets in the blood) and complications during joint replacement surgery? I am trying to help my mom who is about to have her fifth surgery on her right knee for a staph epidermidis infection and replacement of at least the...
Question for those of you who are on long-term suppressive antibiotics for infection after having had either a washout, single-stage revision, or two-stage revision: Did your OS discuss the possibility of potential loosening of the implant within a few years? My mother's OS is saying that if...
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.