Recent content by sandiegomom

  1. sandiegomom

    TKR Question about wedge/knee elevation

    That is so kind of you — thank you! I’m feeling prepped and ready to take this on!!!
  2. sandiegomom

    TKR Question about wedge/knee elevation

    Thank you. So which wedge is best in your opinion?
  3. sandiegomom

    TKR Question about wedge/knee elevation

    Hi! Surgery is just about two weeks away for left TKR. Just completed a helpful Zoom from my Doctors office where they explained how important it is to be able to straighten your knee and elevate your knee in the early days: “a straight knee can bend, a bent knee can’t necessarily...
  4. sandiegomom

    What is so challenging about Knee vs Hip

    I appreciate your reply, thank you! I was originally going to take 2 weeks but came to my senses after my pre op yesterday. I am 100% remote so I think/hope at 6 weeks it will be doable. Fingers crossed! I hate the disruption this surgery causes in my family’s lives.
  5. sandiegomom

    What is so challenging about Knee vs Hip

    Hi! I'm back...after two hips, we are now on to our knees. I'm an active 51 year old (tennis, 3 kids, work full time), with really bad cartilage/osteo. I admit the hip replacements were easier than they sound, in hindsight. What is so tricky about the knees recovery wise? Is it sleep...
  6. sandiegomom

    2025 December Supernovas - Are You Having Knee Surgery in December?

    Hi, I cannot believe I'm back but I am. Getting my left knee done in December.
  7. sandiegomom

    THR Trailrunner's recovery

    Reading this made me happy. Thank you for sharing. And it’s a similar story for so many of us who get our life’s back after a hip replacement. Enjoy your life!
  8. sandiegomom

    THR Very Scared

    Hey op, i had to “choose” a hip replacement at 38, when my youngest (of 3) was only 18 mos old. I had my own business that I’d have to walk away from for months (I thought) while I recovered, and my insurance was terrible so it would cost me about $4k out of pocket, not inclusive of pt. Plus...
  9. sandiegomom

    THR still have pain

    What was your health like before surgery? I think the more challenged you were prior to surgery greatly informs your recovery time on the backend.
  10. sandiegomom

    THR Trailrunner's recovery

    Hi, just read through -- I think you need to ice more. And also know this is not a perfectly linear process; you'll def have a good day followed by a bad day, you'll also plateau for what seems like forever (weeks in I could only do elliptical for 20 mins on the nose, for weeks! I thought I was...
  11. sandiegomom

    Revision TKR 3+ months LK Revision

    this can be from painkillers -- coming off of them. i experienced the same and was told magnesium may help but it did not. it did, however resolve. good luck, it's miserable.
  12. sandiegomom

    THR THR 1 week out. Leg feels longer than non-surgical leg

    I felt that way, too. It will go down; part of the surgeon's job is to make you anatomically the exact length on both legs. You have to retrain your gait post op, especially if you were compensating or limping prior to surgery. All those supporting tendons and muscles -- back, other hip, etc...
  13. sandiegomom

    Hip Arthroscopy Labral Reconstruction

    I think you may need a hip replacement, which is OK!!! It's a lifesaver. I had to go to 5 surgeons before I found one who would do it on me (early 40s), when they went in 90% of my cartilage was gone; just a little skirt remained at the bottom of the (bright red!) ball. I'm such a fan of the...
  14. sandiegomom

    TKR 4 weeks Monday (2/14)

    twitching can also be a by product of coming off of narcotics. good luck to you!
  15. sandiegomom

    THR Few questions about hip replacement

    You are nice and young, your bone is going to hug all those wonderful parts -- and everything will settle in to place as your body wants it. It's miraculous! You'll be great.
Back
Top Bottom