Recent content by RimRoc

  1. RimRoc

    Bilateral TKR Getting in & out of a kayak - suggestions?

    Hi everyone, I think my old thread finally was put to rest. I had BTKR in late November 2013, so I am now 15 months post-op. Back to work full time, hiking, generally feeling just fine and the knees are really pain free. I do acknowledge I have NOT regained my former strength and stamina...
  2. RimRoc

    Bilateral TKR On the Other Side!

    Hi @Kprune Sorry to hear your knees are still so painful. My surgical date was about the same as yours: 29 Nov 2013, so I'm at the 9 month mark too. I guess I'd say you've had a very difficult time!!! I've been pretty fortunate: I can report some ongoing sense of 'tightness' which I...
  3. RimRoc

    Bilateral TKR Getting in & out of a kayak - suggestions?

    Hello everyone, In case anyone's looking at my thread...I've been silent as I am back at work full time and haven't much time/energy for posting anymore. I started back to work at a somewhat reduced pace at just shy of 3 months post-op. It was exhausting but do-able. Got better week by week...
  4. RimRoc

    MUA [BILATERAL TKRS] The Fun Begins

    Regarding your compounding cream for scar tissue: somewhere in the stuff you received from the pharmacy should be complete content info. With full drug names and concentrations. Any US dispensing pharmacy HAS to provide that info to the patient. The good news/bad news is that most drugs have...
  5. RimRoc

    Bilateral TKR Getting in & out of a kayak - suggestions?

    Sciatica anyone??? I seem to have developed some hip/sciatica type pain. Probably from favoring one leg while walking; but I have had this in the past. Now, in the past, my favorite fix was to really stretch the hamstring and the piriformis muscles. I have no problem performing hamstring...
  6. RimRoc

    MUA [BILATERAL TKRS] The Fun Begins

    @2hips2knees - Hi there!. Sorry I can't help on the valgus knees question. It seems to me that valgus or varus knees wouldn't matter much while sitting or lying. All that really matters is alignment during weight bearing. And you DO want to mobilize that scar tissue! Ask your PT guy to show...
  7. RimRoc

    MUA [BILATERAL TKRS] The Fun Begins

    Just "by the way", I've always thought of scar tissue as the tough, collagen fibre material that the body forms to unite tissues damaged by trauma (i.e. the surgeon's scapel). It forms where there was a break in normal tissue continuity. In contrast, adhesions form in areas beyond the initial...
  8. RimRoc

    Bilateral TKR Getting in & out of a kayak - suggestions?

    So this week I was able to use the more conventional kayak with a cockpit, and launch from the dock. Thank you's to the forum members who suggested using the ladder. It worked great: I tied the kayak about 18 inches from the dock with the seat just along side the ladder. Then I descended...
  9. RimRoc

    TKR Knee pain after 5 months is unbearable

    I can report that I have definitely experienced a differential in pain and flexibility between knees. Just like you, the knee that was worse before surgery is now the better knee. Go figure. I read many other report similar experiences on this site, so you are definitely not alone. As for...
  10. RimRoc

    Bilateral TKR Getting in & out of a kayak - suggestions?

    OK, I have been consciously increasing my activity levels these past couple of days. I have a spread sheet so I can record all the stuff I do, which makes me feel better. I can't measure flexion directly or precisely but I can say I wake up feeling like it is easier to bend and walk. I get a...
  11. RimRoc

    MUA [BILATERAL TKRS] The Fun Begins

    Hi @2hips2knees 2k, I was so glad to hear you long day worked out OK. And good news from the surgeon too! I'm really happy for you.
  12. RimRoc

    Bilateral TKR Getting in & out of a kayak - suggestions?

    Ha Ha. I think I wrote a bit to soon. It wasn't just the two hours in the kayak; it was the 2x45 min of car rides and the (interminable) 2 hour lunch with the kayaker crowd thereafter that also did me in. So in truth, there was definitely a toll in the way of really tough stiff knees, sore...
  13. RimRoc

    Bilateral TKR Getting in & out of a kayak - suggestions?

    Ha Ha, success! Went on a kayaking trip today (I am 7 1/2 weeks post op BTKR) and things went great. Now, it was about as easy as it can get -- we used 'sit upon' type kayaks so there was no cockpit to climb into or out of; we launched from the beach, so there was no need to stay stable next...
  14. RimRoc

    TKR Knee pain after 5 months is unbearable

    For temporary insomnia, I can heartily recommend a conversation with your primary care provider to see if a prescription sleep aid would be appropriate for you. There a quite a few good choices for short term use that help with both onset insomnia (cannot fall asleep) and maintenance insomnia...
  15. RimRoc

    MUA [BILATERAL TKRS] The Fun Begins

    You can buy a standard bedpan at a drugstore. While it might compromise your modesty a bit, you can ask your husband to slip a bedpan under you while you sit on any chair. Of course, it would be best if you can put down a towel or other protective covering before you attempt to use the bedpan...
Back
Top Bottom