Recent content by Ramp

  1. Ramp

    Hip resurfacing versus THR.

    Thanks for the info. Maybe the reason they are declining is the aging population is over 60 now and candidates for THR instead. I think a new ceramic on ceramic could last 30 years or more. I’m not sure about having metal on metal in my leg for the rest of my life though. Makes me wonder...
  2. Ramp

    Hip resurfacing versus THR.

    My doctor said to me that I may want to look into a hip resurfacing instead of a replacement as I am 43 and fairly fit and active. Does anyone know if they last as long as a good THR these days? I like the prospect of being able to be more active on it, a lower chance of dislocation and if...
  3. Ramp

    PRP and Stem Cells. Anyone tried ?

    Has anyone tried PRP and/or stem cells to delay THR? I have torn labrums as well which do cause some pain and I'd love to try to buy myself some more time since I'm only 42 and the hip joints are almost shot. A few doctors and people online say they have had great luck with them and some...
  4. Ramp

    Hip problems without groin pain?

    Well my specialist wants to delay the THR and is sending me to a rheumatologist and for a back MRI as well as half a dozen blood tests. I am still planning on the THR anyway in case it's a dead end. But now he thinks that I may have other issues because I have no groin pain and the pain is...
  5. Ramp

    Had consult at Hospital for Special Surgery (Dr. Sculco) -- A few questions?

    I am also 42 and have done extensive research on what implants I would want. My doctor said he uses CoC and CoP It's a tough choice and comes down to ceramic in ceramic vers ceramic ball with high cross linked poly with vitamin e. I keep leaning towards the ceramic but when I read about some...
  6. Ramp

    Decisions before hip surgery- Help!

    This is a pretty interesting article to read about metal on plastic vers ceramic on ceramic. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4324779/ To me it sounds like ceramic on ceramic is longer lasting if you can get past the risks of a possible fracture or squeak. Perhaps it's an implant...
  7. Ramp

    Hip problems without groin pain?

    I feel most of my glute muscle pain is from the muscles trying to compensate for the bad joint. Your X-ray does look low on the right side for sure but if you can get an MRI those are really good too or better. Your left side might have issues. Some hips seem to look like they have some life...
  8. Ramp

    torn gluteus medius and total hip replacement

    I also have torn gluteus medius on both sides. That happened first I believe and then from the X-ray and MRI they discovered both my hips were shot. I'm not sure if the bad hips causes the tears or not. Most of my pain is lateral and in the glutes so I have been trying to rehabilitate the glute...
  9. Ramp

    Decisions before hip surgery- Help!

    I have heard the number 5 percent being used for squeaking. They can also crack but I think it is rare but dangerous. I'm not sure if they are supposed to last that much longer than the new cross linked polyethylene ones or not.
  10. Ramp

    Hip problems without groin pain?

    I think I've also torn both my gluteus minimus muscles. A doctor told me he saw that on my MRI and I wonder if that is because my joints are in bad shape. It makes sense why I have so much glute pain. Anyone else have this issue with your bad hips ? I wonder if they need to be fixed before...
  11. Ramp

    Decisions before hip surgery- Help!

    My doctor said the two best he uses are the ceramic ball with PE vitamin E and ceramic on ceramic. The latter should last longer. Possibly forever but he said there is a small chance of cracking which is very bad. He offered to let me pick either. I think I am leaning towards the first one...
  12. Ramp

    Hip problems without groin pain?

    Hah. I think we all know that form is going to tell me to get a hip replacement yesterday !! Thanks ! Sent from my iPad using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
  13. Ramp

    Hip problems without groin pain?

    Yes newb you are right. It's a few of the doctors I've spoken too. They have outright said things like I should try other things first, and I am too young, and try to put it off until 50, etc. The hip replacement doctor I saw that had a year wait even referred me to another replacement...
  14. Ramp

    Hip problems without groin pain?

    I agree with it all. It's just that I am not bone on bone yet so I think some doctors are feeling maybe I can stretch it to age 50 and get it done. Every doctor seems to have a different opinion unfortunately, and that has been confusing for me. I guess its possible I have a few different...
  15. Ramp

    Hip problems without groin pain?

    Heh. Sorry. I've just been through so much the last 3 months trying to figure out what is wrong and how to fix it. My life is a full time doctor scheduling business. I guess I am looking for any way out of a THR. I have been trying rolling and periformis stretches here and there but they do...
Back
Top Bottom