Recent content by rainmaker

  1. rainmaker

    THR Shiney Happy Hip

    Hi @Mojo333 @Layla @Constanze and everyone else who remembers me, How are you all managing during the Covid-19 crisis? Luckily I'm thriving, nearly 2 years after my THR. I have lost quite a lot of weight in order to give the hip the best chance of outliving me - and to go faster on the bike...
  2. rainmaker

    THR Shiney Happy Hip

    @dogchick - sorry for the late reply. I'm sure you will get it all back - don't give up, especially if you are still seeing some improvement, no matter how slow. I had not really healed completely internally until my anniversary was up (apparently it can take 11-14 months) and so I realised it's...
  3. rainmaker

    THR Shiney Happy Hip

    @Constanze - 1000km in 3 weeks is VERY GOOD INDEED! Also great that your employer supported the Stadtradeln - anything that gets people out of cars and onto two wheels. We need more of that in the UK. Well done! Hope you sampled some of the Nahe wines on your tour? The weather has been nice...
  4. rainmaker

    THR Shiney Happy Hip

    @Layla - definitely NOT falling off, been there and done that in the past. Now the thought of falling on the replacement hip is...:no-fin: followed by :tantrum: and then :gaah:
  5. rainmaker

    THR Shiney Happy Hip

    And these days I can't do the standy-uppy thing ...
  6. rainmaker

    THR Shiney Happy Hip

    Not such a great likeness - I don't wear green shorts
  7. rainmaker

    THR Shiney Happy Hip

    @Constanze - cycling update for you: I did 80km in 3 hours on Saturday, and felt strong. I'm starting get properly fit again, after 3-4 years of struggling. How are you?
  8. rainmaker

    THR Shiney Happy Hip

    Hi All, Well, today is my 1st anniversary. One year on, and what a peculiar year :) I thought I was having a great recovery until week 6. Then my left hip started to deteriorate. Around month 7, I was having trouble walking again and by month 9 I'd cut out recreational walking altogether and...
  9. rainmaker

    THR Shiney Happy Hip

    Hi @Layla and everyone, Update: I saw the surgeon about 3 weeks ago and he recommended an x-ray guided injection in the left hip. He said this could provide significant relief - no promises - and would help to confirm the diagnosis. Apparently if the pain and discomfort recede immediately when...
  10. rainmaker

    THR Shiney Happy Hip

    @Layla - Wise words. You're right - I might not even be around to complain that my implants 'only' lasted 20 years. So live in the present. Amen to that.
  11. rainmaker

    THR Shiney Happy Hip

    Thanks for the advice everyone, and for the optimism ! I have read a few things about replacement deterioration which aren't quite as optimistic, but here's to hoping they have to pick mine out of the ashes :snork: And congratulations @Constanze for such a quick half marathon time!! Amazing...
  12. rainmaker

    THR Shiney Happy Hip

    Thanks @Mojo333 - I was always destined to be a repeat offender ! There's no way I'd put it off as I'm back to lots of pain & stiffness after walking a mile or two. The only thing that concerns me is the future and the prospect of wearing out the new hips and havingrevision surgery. I am...
  13. rainmaker

    THR Shiney Happy Hip

    Quick update: things continued to go downhill with my left hip. Eventually had an MRI scan and it's been confirmed that I have 'moderate degeneration' of the left hip. I am seeing the surgeon who did my May 2108 right hip THR in 3 weeks time. Looks like I'll have to go through it all again this...
  14. rainmaker

    THR Shiney Happy Hip

    Hi @Constanze So I went for an x-ray 10 days ago. The surgeon told me - and showed me on the x-ray - that there was barely any change in the left hip since last December. Which is bizarre, as I was getting a lot of discomfort. And since he told me that it has improved a lot, which is also...
  15. rainmaker

    THR Shiney Happy Hip

    @Constanze I'm pleased the sun is still shining for you. And now you will be appreciating it even more with your new sharp sight. Were you worried about the operation? I would have been... You won't become 'daft' by not reading for a few weeks. But you might get a bit bored. I will keep you...
Back
Top Bottom