Recent content by Plexiburg

  1. Plexiburg

    Rtkr glue or staples ????

    Absolutely do the glue, but I guess it comes down to how much experience the surgeon has with this method. I had staples with my BTKR and later glue with my two stage revision while fighting off a staff infection. Staples are miserable compared to glue and the scar is about 1/4" compared to...
  2. Plexiburg

    TKR TKR Both knees: Is it so painful

    "I won't twitter on here." Don't be so sure! Soon you will have a dewy eyed creature for your avatar and pages of gushing posts about everything from vacations to bad hair days, oh and don't forget to end each sentence with an insanely exuberant emoticon. :wink: I don't believe these guys...
  3. Plexiburg

    Revision TKR 3rd knee repair event due

    I've got another week to go with the antibiotic treatment etc... so I ask my doctor how many more tkr's my knee could take and he said we could do ten more if it was necessary, but he said by the third or fourth one I would be ready to jump out the window given the extreme nature of treating...
  4. Plexiburg

    PKR How much do you tell to someone considering surgery?

    Well, my nightmare is going on a year and a half now. I would not do a BTKR and would choose a surgeon very carefully next time. Once the knee is in, you are forever under threat of infection and god help you if you don't have insurance down the road if that happens. I take everything these...
  5. Plexiburg

    Revision TKR Knee replacement, now revision

    Yep, I complained to my doc that something was just not right with my left knee for over a year and looking back I feel I got the brush off. As luck would have it we sold our house and relocated to a different state and found a different doctor who could see that there was indeed something not...
  6. Plexiburg

    Revision TKR Fourteen months, one knee still raw.

    Into the third week of antibiotic treatment. Last week they doubled the dose of vancomycin however for the last four nights I've been running a high fever (102.4), so they have dropped the dose by half to see if the large dose was causing a reaction. The most common reaction to vancomycin is the...
  7. Plexiburg

    TKR 4 weeks out and concerned about staph infection

    I'm right in the middle of this mess, I have a thread buried somewhere here. At least they caught yours early which says something. Every day you hear about this sort of thing, hmmm :scratch: I won't gloss over this, an infection is devastating. Read up on "biofilm", to understand why your...
  8. Plexiburg

    TKR Puffin is soaring into the sky

    I had the same problem with my walker until I realized that all you have to do is swivel the wheels so they are on the inside of the walker instead of the outside. This will give you at least two more inches of clearance.
  9. Plexiburg

    TKR Left revision and replacement/pain in shin

    I've only had my cement spacer in for twelve days so it is nice to know what to expect when I finally get a new knee put back in. :loll: Does this ever end. :gaah: I'm sorry about your pain and can relate in a way that there seems to always be a "new" pain waylaying us at every turn. If you...
  10. Plexiburg

    Revision TKR Fourteen months, one knee still raw.

    Just a little update regarding my battle with infection. Twelve days out from my explant and am finally able to get at least three two hour stretches of sleep a day. The key is to lay flat on my back and have the bad leg rest with my foot pointing to 10 o'clock. This seems to prevent the cement...
  11. Plexiburg

    31 years old, bilateral TKR in August...how to do the bathroom?

    "I love your picture- I am a painter and enjoy creepy portraits!" Ha ha, you just made my day! Thank you! p.s. the image is from one of the original early 1970's promotional posters for the play 'One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest.'
  12. Plexiburg

    31 years old, bilateral TKR in August...how to do the bathroom?

    Hip replacement is nothing like a tkr much less a btkr, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that, brace yourself. It took me a week before I could muster my first stool and that was a harrowing agonizing battle with constipation. I could only get from my bed to the toilet with a wheel chair...
  13. Plexiburg

    TKR Recovery not the cake walk I thought

    I think we are both angry right now, nothing wrong with that given the over all intensity of this procedure. It's healthy for this site to have a little attitude once and a while instead an endless stream of zealously happy and overly affirmative emoticons. Am I the only one who finds the 'dog...
  14. Plexiburg

    Appreciate names of TKR surgeons at Hospital for Special Surgery

    I will not name names , but you can find organizations that rate doctors and hospitals pretty accurately. The hospital you mentioned is beautiful, run incredibly well, it's clean and has a very nice "family atrium" with a cafe, where family can wait during your surgery. Rooms overlook the East...
  15. Plexiburg

    TKR Recovery not the cake walk I thought

    Yes, that was insensitive of me, after all I remember the joys of my first three weeks of recovery from a BTKR like it was yesterday: week #1) six units of blood and five days in a drug haze, week #2) weaning off morphine, my first stool and nights without sleep, week #3) the crushing pain from...
Back
Top Bottom