Recent content by pedsnurse8

  1. pedsnurse8

    Bilateral TKR Getting in & out of a kayak - suggestions?

    RimRoc, I was originally told I would have to wait at least 7 years before I could get BTKR because of my age (fortunately I found an OS who was willing to do it after waiting 5 years). Anyway, I did not want to become totally inactive and my husband helped me by finding an open kayak. It is...
  2. pedsnurse8

    MUA [BILATERAL TKRS] The Fun Begins

    2hips2knees, I wish you the best! I have ligament problems that led to frequent dislocations and early onset of arthritis. I had BTKR in September. The recovery will take up to a year (much slower progression than THR I believe) but keeping in touch with this forum will help you get through...
  3. pedsnurse8

    Bilateral TKR MUA at 8 weeks

    Well, I had the MUA on the right knee only on Nov. 21st. My ROM for both knees is now at 110. :dancy: I am having more issues with swelling in the right knee but it is still less than what I had after arthroscopy. I have to admit the MUA has resolved the issue of no progress in ROM for the...
  4. pedsnurse8

    Bilateral TKR MUA at 8 weeks

    Josephine, I have been prescribed hydrocodone 7.5mg/325 acetaminophen 2 tabs every 4-6 hours. I take 2 at night, 1 in the afternoon. I take mobic in the am and that seems to be enough until afternoon/evening as long as it is not a PT day. My OS did give me 80 tabs the first two times but has...
  5. pedsnurse8

    Bilateral TKR MUA at 8 weeks

    Josephine, I am generally only having some mild discomfort/ stiffness, about a 1-2. During PT my pain level can range from a 4-7 even though I medicate with 1-2 hydrocodone (7.5mg/325 acetaminophen) 1 hour prior to PT. My Friday PT session however resulted in my pain level climbing to about...
  6. pedsnurse8

    Bilateral TKR MUA at 8 weeks

    Thanks for the responses. My OS would prefer to do an early MUA on me because as a younger patient my expectations of post BTKR activities require a better ROM than that of more elderly patients who are primarily seeking pain relief than a return to an active lifestyle (he worded it better than...
  7. pedsnurse8

    Bilateral TKR MUA at 8 weeks

    Hi, I had BTKR Sept 30th and am only at 87-95 degrees flexion on left knee aqnd 80-83 degrees on right. My OS wants to do MUA because I am young for having BTKR and would benefit from greatest return of ROM as possible. I know I am having problems with scar tissue/adhesions on right knee and...
  8. pedsnurse8

    TKR 4 weeks post right TKR dificulty bending

    Hi, I am 5 weeks out from BTKR and am only at 87 and 80 for ROM. My outpatient PT pushed at first, but when I explained how stiff my right leg was at the outside of the knee and thigh, the PT switched to doing heat, massage, and stretching during my appointments and telling me what exercises to...
  9. pedsnurse8

    Bilateral TKR MUA at 8 weeks

    No, they will not use a home nurse, however they have changed the blood testing to twice a week instead of every 2 days :)
  10. pedsnurse8

    Bilateral TKR MUA at 8 weeks

    Thank you so much for the suggestions. I do think I will try the heel slides with the aid of a yoga strap. I also like the idea of starting lower on the cpm and then increasing the flex. My husband had suggested that, but the cpm we have for home use is such a pain to reset compared to the one I...
  11. pedsnurse8

    Bilateral TKR MUA at 8 weeks

    Hi everyone, BTKR on Sept 30th, took about 30 hours to come up with pain control that worked without making me ill. I went with inpatient rehab until 10/9 which was good except schedules were computer generated and did not coordinate with pain medication. :gaah: Rehab was nice in that they...
  12. pedsnurse8

    Need to vent.. Not a good day today.

    Tweet25, I also have a very hard time taking pain pills as I am allergic to codeine. I have been on tramadol for over 2 years. When I first tried to take it, it made me ill. :sick: I found if I took 25 mg of benadryl (diphenhydramine) 20-30 minutes before the tramadol I did not develop nausea...
  13. pedsnurse8

    Bilateral TKR Baths and Feet

    I have a vinyl covered foam pillow I use for a headrest in my jacuzzi tub, that I got from Bed, Bath & Beyond. It is about 1.5 inches thick. Something like this (foam not inflatable) might be cushion enough to kneel on to work, but I would try the suggestions to desensitive the knees to kneeling...
  14. pedsnurse8

    Need advice! My surgeon won't do bilateral!

    I am sorry to hear that you could not find anyone at Proliance to do a BTKR. :hairpulling: What about an almost BTKR where knees are done only a couple of days to a week apart? I know that still means anaesthesia twice not once but it should help with separating the L & I costs for the first...
  15. pedsnurse8

    Need advice! My surgeon won't do bilateral!

    I had been told to wait for at least 7 years before getting TKR (that was 5 years ago). :headbang: I finally found a surgeon who will do it (Sept. 30th) and he does bilaterals. I do not know if he would be willing to deal with the billing issues with L & I though. :what: He is located in...
Back
Top Bottom