Recent content by NigelTufnel

  1. NigelTufnel

    THR Early Christmas Present - New Right Hip

    7 weeks post-op update: I've been very busy lately with work and family life so it has been a while since my last update. I saw the OS on the 5 week anniversary of surgery. Here are the takeaways from that visit: He was not surprised that I ended up tearing a hip flexor muscle given the...
  2. NigelTufnel

    THR Early Christmas Present - New Right Hip

    Day 30 status Injury update: Last week's muscle tear was diagnosed by my PT as the rectus femoris where it attaches to the hip. Lots of rest, NSAIDs and a week has given me more mobility (I can raise my knee about 4 inches now without much pain) and hope that this injury won't totally derail...
  3. NigelTufnel

    THR gardengal made to recovery

    Sounds like you are progressing nicely, @gardengal. Isn't it great to have family support around to cover the usual routine? Soon after I returned home from the hospital and was taking it easy, my wife was a rock star getting our 3 girls out of bed, fed, dressed and off to school. Amazing...
  4. NigelTufnel

    THR The Widger has a new hip

    Congrats on being done and feel better soon! The first day or so can be a bit bumpy, in my experience. Hang in there!
  5. NigelTufnel

    THR Early Christmas Present - New Right Hip

    Thanks @Mamababs and @gardengal. I am able to shuffle around this morning but really can't engage the hip flexor muscles - too painful. I was really fearing the worst last night; at least I am ambulatory this morning. My doll of a wife brought me some ice cream and candy last night in bed to up...
  6. NigelTufnel

    THR Textbook recovery almost 3 weeks post op THR

    Mamababs - congrats on the great recovery so far! I beat you into the OR by a day so we are on a similar timeline. I am also experimenting with sleeping on my side and each night it's getting a bit more comfortable. I still feel a bit of pulling in the posterior capsule when I'm on my side, so...
  7. NigelTufnel

    THR Early Christmas Present - New Right Hip

    Gardengal, I think the PT schedule really depends on your doc. I didn't know what to expect going into the surgery. I ended up having 3 weeks of in-home PT, 3x per week. Now I am at outpatient PT, 2x per week. I was doing great until tonight when I pulled my hip flexor lifting my leg into my...
  8. NigelTufnel

    THR Early Christmas Present - New Right Hip

    Day 22 update. As of a few days ago, I am totally off the percocet. I wasn't experiencing much pain so dosages were getting spaced further and further apart until finally I stopped altogether. I am taking Tylenol for any minor soreness (usually before bed). Activity levels have been...
  9. NigelTufnel

    THR Early Christmas Present - New Right Hip

    Day 16 today. Feeling pretty good overall although I had some sharp stabbing pains in the capsule two days ago because of the aggressive passive flexion ROM that the PT was doing. I had her take it easy yesterday and voila, no more stabbing pain. Dealing with some minor nerve pain in my foot...
  10. NigelTufnel

    THR Early Christmas Present - New Right Hip

    @gardengal - Hope I didn't scare you off with all the gory details! I think you have every reason to and should be optimistic about the surgery. The outcomes are usually outstanding. But I think it's also wise to keep in mind that there is some carpentry that takes place and that you won't be...
  11. NigelTufnel

    THR AzDrew on the Other Side

    Congrats on being on the other side. Sounds like you're doing great so far. I'm in your boat with the leg being lengthened and the muscles having to stretch. That's where my pain comes from these days, 12 days post-op. Best of luck to you.
  12. NigelTufnel

    THR Early Christmas Present - New Right Hip

    @determined21 - Glad you enjoyed the account! I got a little in the weeds there but I was hoping that by doing so, future patients could envision themselves in my position and so when surgery day does come, it all looks and sounds somewhat familiar. @Hip Hip Hooray! - Great to hear that ROM...
  13. NigelTufnel

    THR Early Christmas Present - New Right Hip

    Thanks very much Josephine!
  14. NigelTufnel

    THR Early Christmas Present - New Right Hip

    Hello all, I am now 9 days post-total right hip Makoplasty and have teared myself away from a few good books, some engaging TV, three active kiddos and occasional naps to write-up my experience to date. First off, I have to say thanks to all BoneSmarties for sharing their stories: the wisdom...
  15. NigelTufnel

    THR My New Hip

    Great news, @pkjlane. Glad things went well for you. Looking forward to hearing about your progress. All the best with the recovery.
Back
Top Bottom