Recent content by NH_Lou

  1. NH_Lou

    Lost sleep due to pain

    Hang in there Weezi! Before my surgery, I took lots of medication to treat the pain symptoms. It has been just over a year and, once recovered, I very rarely take anything more than Tylenol...and that is for a headache!
  2. NH_Lou

    General Anesthesia or Spinal??

    Hi. I am a bit late to responding here, but I have had both GA and spinal. Now, I must admit, my spinal surgeries were in the late-1980s (when I broke my hip). My recent November surgery was GA. I think this comes down to your (and your surgeon's preference). Speaking from my experience...
  3. NH_Lou

    THR July Ninth!

    Hi there. I had the anterior approach in November 2011. I was back to work at the beginning of January (on a modified schedule) and back "full tilt" by February. I would agree with Josephine that the 6-10 weeks is more realistic. Don't rush returning to work. Take your time and heal and...
  4. NH_Lou

    Very Confused and Terrified

    Hi Summerwoman, Welcome to BoneSmart! You will love visiting here for useful information, advice, and support. It sounds like your hip is degenerating and will need to be replaced at some point. It also sounds like you are still leading a moderately active life though and able to manage your...
  5. NH_Lou

    Just found out I will need THR. Shocked, numb.

    Hi Calmom, I broke my left hip when I was 18 and recently had a THR in November, 2011. It is a shock to the system to learn you need this surgery, but now that I am on the other side of it, I can honestly say it is the best thing I could have done for myself, and my family. I tried many of...
  6. NH_Lou

    Surgery out of state

    Hi Roza. I was told I could choose between spinal and GA but my surgeon told me he would prefer if I did GA for the exact same reasons your surgeon is suggesting it. This may sound silly...but I rather enjoyed GA.
  7. NH_Lou

    AVN in both hips at age 38

    David hi, I had the DAA in November and have been very happy with it. However, I set out to find the surgeon I liked best and, truth be told, I never looked into the various approaches used for this surgery - a revelation I never made public on this board before. The reason was I broke my hip...
  8. NH_Lou

    25 yr old Male Dancer with Hip Issues

    Ben hi and welcome to BoneSmart. Boy, we have some similarities with our hips. I broke my left hip when I was 18 and it never healed properly and had degenerated femoral head due to poor blood supply (aka AVS). I made it through my 20's and 30's managing to avoid surgery. However, your...
  9. NH_Lou

    THR Good and not so good...

    Ants. Welcome to BoneSmart and welcome to the other side! I've been reading your posts and I think it would be wise to take your advice...sit less and elevate more. I recall spending an hour on the computer about a week after my surgery. The sitting and fluid from swelling caused my leg to...
  10. NH_Lou

    Anterior or Posterior - Decision Decision

    Hi Kathy. I went home with no restrictions. I could sleep on my stomach (although I was too uncomfortable the first two weeks or so to do that) or cross my legs. The big advantage is PT can start sooner, and more aggressively. My PT told me that she was able to give me exercises at 4 weeks...
  11. NH_Lou

    Lying down and pain

    Kaaper, I truly feel - or felt - your pain. As Haldox suggests, perhaps taking some pain medication an hour or so before you go to bed would help. My only comfortable position to sleep in was on my stomach with my arthritic left hip leg bent so my foot was on the side of my right knee. Pretty...
  12. NH_Lou

    Bone Marrow Aspirate Concentrate (BMAC) as a treatment for AVN

    Hi Max. Thanks for your reply. If you hear back from the reporter, I would be interested to know how he is doing. I'm not trying to pry, but does insurance cover this procedure now?
  13. NH_Lou

    Bone Marrow Aspirate Concentrate (BMAC) as a treatment for AVN

    Hi Max. I considered trying something like this through Regenexx, which seems to offer a very similar service. I searched online and read mixed reviews. In addition, I actually know someone who had the procedure done, but he says very little about it. However, he has asked me a couple of...
  14. NH_Lou

    Minimally Invasive Procedure

    Rusty hi, I had anterior approach LTHR and was released from the hospital the next day. I was completely off pain meds within 3 weeks. Overall experience has been very positive to date. You may want to read this information about MIS: broken link removed...
  15. NH_Lou

    Anterior or Posterior - Decision Decision

    Hi Kathy. I had anterior approach and recovered very quickly. I have been very happy with the procedure. That said, having read what you are going through now, I do not think I would wait if you have someone who can do posterior sooner rather than later. As Jamie and Josephine have said, in...
Back
Top Bottom