Recent content by Merrill

  1. M

    Fractured Neck of Femur/Pinning Hip pinning, increasing pain starting month 5

    Thank you for the feedback and sympathy. Greatly appreciated. Bursitis. Ouch. Many years ago, I had a steroid injection in left shoulder for frozen shoulder. It was a miracle cure. This time, on the right (due to having wrist/arm immobilized after the accident) - not so much.
  2. M

    Fractured Neck of Femur/Pinning Hip pinning, increasing pain starting month 5

    Thank you so much Jamie - great advice! I didn't know that and it wasn't conveyed. (I love this forum.)
  3. M

    Fractured Neck of Femur/Pinning Hip pinning, increasing pain starting month 5

    Oh my lord - this is super helpful info. Thank you Gray. I'm flummoxed by UCSF.
  4. M

    Fractured Neck of Femur/Pinning Hip pinning, increasing pain starting month 5

    Thanks Mendo! Unbelievably, I received a message from Stanford Health this morning. "We apologize for the delay in processing your referral..." I checked the date and the referral was submitted six weeks ago. I called the phone number listed on the message - same phone number as before - 19...
  5. M

    Fractured Neck of Femur/Pinning Hip pinning, increasing pain starting month 5

    Circling back to update everyone on the ongoing saga - thanks so much. I called Stanford initially and they refused to give me an appointment without a referral, even though I have Medicare and a fantastic secondary policy (via a big Silicon Valley tech company) which is actually better than a...
  6. M

    Fractured Neck of Femur/Pinning Hip pinning, increasing pain starting month 5

    Hi Jamie - circling back - I was finally able to get an appt with Dr. Hansen's PA but Dr. Hansen (understandably) was not available for months. His PA is suggesting another steroid injection but I'm not sure that's a good idea. But was also told "well this is the hip replacement center" and...
  7. M

    Traumatic Appointment - Medical Gaslighting?

    Hi Moonie - if you feel like gaslighting is happening, it very likely is. Google "medical gaslighting women" Gaslighting in medicine is a big problem. Men are also gaslit (especially if they're elderly) but somewhat less so. It's harmful and leads to bad outcomes. My husband is treated with far...
  8. M

    Fractured Neck of Femur/Pinning Hip pinning, increasing pain starting month 5

    Thanks so much for your response. I have excellent secondary (to Medicare) health ins and am very fortunate that I don't need pre authorization for MRIs. Won't bore you with too much detail but it's been a struggle. Original surgeon, not a hip specialist so out of the picture since surgery...
  9. M

    Fractured Neck of Femur/Pinning Hip pinning, increasing pain starting month 5

    It's been almost thirty days since I posted the initial question about MRI's. But no answer. Should I start a new thread?
  10. M

    Fractured Neck of Femur/Pinning Hip pinning, increasing pain starting month 5

    Circling back to the MRI question. The MRI of my hip was not very revealing. The radiologist report repeatedly mentioned "limited evaluation due to degree of metallic susceptibility artifact." (see previous comment here.) Would a 3D MRI have been more useful? Or a CT scan? Did they fail to...
  11. M

    Fractured Neck of Femur/Pinning Hip pinning, increasing pain starting month 5

    Thank you so so much. I will check them out.
  12. M

    Fractured Neck of Femur/Pinning Hip pinning, increasing pain starting month 5

    Also a quick question about MRIs. The one I had was not very revealing, apparently due to the pins in my hip. Would a 3D MRI have been more useful? Or a CAT scan?
  13. M

    Fractured Neck of Femur/Pinning Hip pinning, increasing pain starting month 5

    Hi All - Alas, even though I was referred, Dr. Zhang has refused to see me. Something about he doesn't see patients over the age of 50. Sigh. In the meantime, does anyone have a recommendation for great hip doctor in the San Francisco Bay Area? Thanks so much!
  14. M

    THR One yr post THR with ongoing pain - MRI report included

    I share your frustration. I'm experiencing the same issues (although post hip pinning) you've described. The pain started about four months post op. Very debilitating. Is there any way to get the second opinion timeline moved up? Seems like four to five months is a quite long time to wait.
  15. M

    Fractured Neck of Femur/Pinning Hip pinning, increasing pain starting month 5

    Hi All - Progress report. The steroid/lidocaine injection did not resolve the pain - minimal usefulness. My mobility is still very limited due to pain. MRI, see below for results. This was done at UCSF. I've now been referred to Dr. Zhang at UCSF. I hear he's an excellent doc...
Back
Top Bottom