Recent content by MarkTKR

  1. M

    TKR TKR on 12 June

    Hi Flash, Good luck on your TKR. Below are my thoughts... Most here will echo them: 1) Don't expect to get back to normal in a few weeks. Most say after TKR it takes about a year before you wake up and don't immediately remember you had TKR. That doesn't mean you won't be functional, but it...
  2. M

    MUA TKR on 1/25/23; facing MUA

    Not a physician, nor a PT, just a guy with a LTKR followed in 2 weeks by a ruptured patella tendon requiring a second surgery and a very long recovery period. I would strongly advocate against a MUA (I had to look that one up). When I was finally out of the cast after the patella tendon...
  3. M

    TKR Still swelling

    Hi all, Ok, it's now one year since my last knee op to repair the Patella tendon. I still have massive swelling below the knee on a daily basis. It is 100% regular. I get up and there is no swelling. By bed time my lower left leg is like a puffed up balloon. I ride my stationary bike, I do...
  4. M

    TKR Help not getting any sleep

    Don't hesitate to as your MD for drugs to help you sleep. I had a TKR a year ago December then in January ruptured the same knee patella tendon which required another surgery and a full leg cast for 8 weeks. Sleep was something I only dreamed of as I don't tolerate pain meds well at all...
  5. M

    TKR Questions 8 months from surgery

    In that chart, item #2 includes ligaments and tendons. As the owner of a ruptured and repaired patella tendon I have to say that 10-12 weeks is the BARE MINIMUM. At 10-12 weeks after my patella tendon repair, I had very little ROM, had lots of strange muscle feelings, I needed canes to walk...
  6. M

    TKR 1 year TKR update

    No video for my surgery... The place didn't want to spend $$$ on surgery camera and cleaning of it. But... in watching youtube videos it is a wonder that we wake up from the TKR ops without feeling like we got run over by a truck! I literally felt great after my TKR and could put full weight...
  7. M

    TKR 8 months post op TKR (12/28/21), heat, swelling, pain after exercise

    Seasick, almost time time for TKR for me. Dec 23rd. Mine went GREAT. No issues and was doing really well until Jan 13th when at PT a table collapsed causing me to rupture my patellar tendon. So another surgery, same knee as the TKR and 10 weeks of immobilization. I just posted today about...
  8. M

    TKR Still swelling

    Hi All, Thanks for merging this. Was not sure of the policy but it make sense. I did in fact have an MRI. They did not have an issue with the replacement knee and frankly it is the only way to see damage to tissue such as a tendon. As I stated, I did not really have swelling problems a...
  9. M

    TKR Still swelling

    Hi all, I posted my left TKR followed by Patellar tendon rupture and repair in this forum some time back. It's been a long tough recovery. I'm at the point now where I'm almost exactly 7 months post Patellar tendon surgery. I spent almost 7 weeks in a straight leg case, followed by about 3...
  10. M

    TKR LTKR 9/14/22 Just scheduled

    Hi there! You have a lot of answers here. Here is my list: 1) Leg elevation pillow - This will help when you rest with swelling 2) Raised toilet seat - Makes the job easier 3) Walker 4) Cane with a loop - The loop is handy to help you lift your surgery leg on/off bed/couch etc 5) Ice packs -...
  11. M

    TKR Pain 5 months out

    NightRider, the biggest anti-healing thing of all is your frustration. I know that sounds stupid, but it is true. The more frustrated you become the more likely you are to push, then you hurt, then you get more frustrated and you are trying to live up to some goal that has been magically set...
  12. M

    Bilateral TKR No progress ROM

    Probably already been said here but... There is a balance between rest and PT/exercise. You and only you can find that balance. Too much rest not enough movement and you will not improve as fast as you want. Too much exercise, not enough rest and you could actually degrade your ROM. I had...
  13. M

    TKR thneed's Right TKR

    Hi thneed, Sleep gets better, trust me. I had TKR on Dec 23rd, then on Jan 13th after pretty much full recovery I ruptured my Patella Tendon in the same TKR knee! on Jan 20th another knee surgery followed by 8 weeks in a full straight leg cast, 2 more weeks after that in a straight leg...
  14. M

    Arthroscopy MRI says full thickness chondral defect in patella. Very nervous now.

    Hello, I cannot speak to the medical terms used in your diagnosis and what they mean. I had a roughly 70% rupture of my left Patellar tendon on Jan 13th. It is now June 1, I'm walking and getting stronger but yes recovery is tough. I'm significantly older than you at 65 and for me my ortho...
  15. M

    TKR Still swelling

    Hi all, After my left Pateller tendon repair I had a wire between my shin and my knee cap. I had to have that removed last Thursday as it was threatening to poke through the skin. So yet another minor surgery. It went well and I must say with the wire removed the strange diagonal pull across...
Back
Top Bottom