Recent content by Maregold

  1. M

    Caretaker

    Good morning, I’ve searched, but haven’t seen any posts regarding caring for a six month old. My daughter is in her last semester of graduate school, a single mother, who also work’s full time. I care for my grandson and am heartbroken at the thought that he will have to go to daycare until I...
  2. M

    TKR Maregold's Recovery: Possible Injury?

    I’m now three years out from a successful TKR. Last week it tripped on the stairs and fell hard on my knees onto the concrete floor. Since then my operative knee has been clicking and feels off, not painful, above and below. Is this normal?
  3. M

    TKR My TKR Experience

    Hi TCB. I am 10 weeks out from a LTKR, as of tomorrow. My surgeon had me elevating, icing, compressing, and walking for the first 6 weeks. At 4 weeks he added peddling with no resistance, and alternating stairs. At 6 weeks he gave me some strengthening exercises to do, but I have not had any...
  4. M

    TKR Maregold's Recovery: Possible Injury?

    I just saw my surgeon for my 6 week check in. I am at 115 degrees as of today, and he reports that I am right on track. I should hit 125 degrees within the next month and that is where I should be staying in order to perform all activities. He wanted me to know that no matter what I may be told...
  5. M

    TKR Maregold's Recovery: Possible Injury?

    Is it common to have a “sticky,” raw, scrapin, raw sensation when flexing your new knee after it has been extended for a bit? It’s the strangest sensation.
  6. M

    TKR Maregold's Recovery: Possible Injury?

    I saw my surgeon this week, and was pleasantly surprised. My flexion was 105 and my extension 100. No PT until at least 6 weeks to allow for healing. In the meantime it’s walking, ADLS, peddling, and once my flexion reaches 115 stairs. I have been really pleased with this man.
  7. M

    TKR Maregold's Recovery: Possible Injury?

    I’m taking 1000mg of Tylenol three times a day for pain. I can’t take NSAIDS because of GERD so it’s the Tylenol, elevating and icing. Is there a point in the recovery where most people begin to turn around?
  8. M

    TKR Maregold's Recovery: Possible Injury?

    Day 20. In the past 26 years I have had 2 lumbar laminectomies, a posterior cervical laminectomy, an anterior cervical fusion, and reconstructive surgery on both thumbs. All of this likely due to the erosive osteoarthritis related to a diagnosis of undifferentiated connective tissue disease...
  9. M

    TKR Maregold's Recovery: Possible Injury?

    Day 11. I have slept on and off all day. I just feel so off balance today. Not hungry. Very dry and thirsty. I am closed with surgical glue plus the 2 sutures. Without the sutures I would be able to shower my incision without covering it, but my two little friends I can't. Consequently the...
  10. M

    TKR Maregold's Recovery: Possible Injury?

    Day 10! Still spending my days resting, elevating, icing, and wearing the dreaded TED stocking along with two layers of ACE wraps, per my surgeons orders. I've been increasing my daily "hall walks" in both length and duration. Walking has been relatively pain free with the use of a walker. My...
  11. M

    TKR Ice machines, and other post op items you found helpful.

    The ice machines come with a joint specific pad. I could have used the hip pad that we purchased for my husbands hip replacement, but I wanted the knee pad that did not ice the patella itself. I found it uncomfortable to ice that part of my knee.
  12. M

    TKR Ice machines, and other post op items you found helpful.

    We bought the ColdRush Compact ice machine off Amazon last year when my husband had a hip replacement. For my knee replacement surgery on 8/16 we bought a knee pad for it. I am using it around the clock when I am in bed. I also use the hip kit that he bought. It contains a leg lifter, a reacher...
  13. M

    TKR Maregold's Recovery: Possible Injury?

    The drainage has been serosanguineous. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that by tomorrow it continues to decrease. Other than walking hourly I have been making a effort to stay off my feet.
  14. M

    TKR Maregold's Recovery: Possible Injury?

    It has been a long, long week. I was discharged on Tuesday afternoon with a newly Durobonded incision. I continued with my daily dry dressing changes, but the drainage continued. Yesterday morning I emailed two photos to the surgeons office and was immediately summoned. The surgeon debrided the...
  15. M

    TKR Maregold's Recovery: Possible Injury?

    LTKR was at 1pm on August 16th. Both the nerve block and epidural covered my pain through Day 0, but both were gone by early morning on Day 1. My incision has some drainage and as a retired wound care RN, this panics me. The surgeon put a compression dressing on and discharged me with daily...
Back
Top Bottom