Recent content by LarryNYC

  1. L

    Scar revision surgery

    Hi, all. I had a bilateral anterior hip replacement 22 months ago in NYC. The surgery was incredible. I walked out the next day with forearm crutches and threw them in the trash a couple days later. Today, I feel reborn, with no restrictions or limitations whatsoever. Well, except one: the...
  2. L

    Bilateral THR LarryNYC's Recovery Journey

    Approaching 1 year after my bilateral anterior hip replacement, so it's time for an update! To summarize my current status, in one sentence: I feel perfect. The surgery has been nothing less than a miracle for me. One year ago, every step was painful, and I was barely walking despite taking...
  3. L

    Bilateral THR LarryNYC's Recovery Journey

    Just over 5 months now with the two new hips, and it's a bold new world! My hip joints move with absolute perfection, my speed feels close to normal, and my muscles haven't been getting very sore after days where I push them. In truth, I feel kind of like a kid again, with a whole universe out...
  4. L

    How long before risking falls?

    So... I'm at 4-months post-double-hip, and I want to go ice skating. I expect to fall, quite frankly. It's been a while since I hit the ice! When do people feel safe enough to engage in activities where they're likely to fall on their butt?
  5. L

    Bilateral THR LarryNYC's Recovery Journey

    Well, I hear the bilateral is unusual. And my surgeon warned me prior to surgery that he might have to stop at one if too much blood loss. I definitely felt the impact of the bilateral on my heart the first several weeks too. I think doing one side can be the better choice in a lot of...
  6. L

    Bilateral THR LarryNYC's Recovery Journey

    Thanks, Sunny! My scars are 4 inches long and several millimeters wide in some places, so I expect to use the concealer for several months at this rate. It doesn't completely hide them, but it certainly takes the "bite" out of them. And now I'm very happy to provide a 13-week update. I just...
  7. L

    Bilateral THR LarryNYC's Recovery Journey

    3-Month Update: Just had my post-op Xrays, and everything looks perfect! My incident of sudden pain that occurred on Christmas Eve and lasted a few weeks was most likely a muscle strain, according to the Physician Assistant. She said this is common as folks resume an active life. She said I...
  8. L

    Bilateral THR LarryNYC's Recovery Journey

    That does sound scary, Sunny girl. I wonder, what did you to yourself? Soft tissue injury of some kind?
  9. L

    Bilateral THR LarryNYC's Recovery Journey

    Thanks, Jaycey. The problem happened when I was trying to squeeze something in my car, reaching and twisting. I've been laying off the gym for the past couple of weeks and have only been doing housework and my regular work, which requires lighter. This actually seems to help. The pain is...
  10. L

    Bilateral THR LarryNYC's Recovery Journey

    Setback? Ten days ago, on Christmas Eve, I was wrestling with something in my car--basically, doing a sort of reach and twist motion. I felt a little pain in my thigh area and didn't think much of it. The problem is that it's 10 days later, and I still have the pain. It's worst in the...
  11. L

    Bilateral THR LarryNYC's Recovery Journey

    A couple updates for anyone interested. I'm now at 8 weeks post-double hip replacement (anterior approach). A few days ago, I went to the salon (suppressing my embarrassment at being the only guy there) and had my scars successfully covered. The makeup artist used an orange base on the skin...
  12. L

    Bilateral THR LarryNYC's Recovery Journey

    @SwimGirl Thank you for the tip. I don't have puckering, but I do find that when I do a deep stretch "against the grain" of the scar, the scar feels very tight. I feel like I need to forcibly stretch the scar a bit now so that I don't end up being limited by it in the future, but I worry about...
  13. L

    Bilateral THR LarryNYC's Recovery Journey

    Well, I'm going to go the makeup salon in NYC this weekend. It's going to be awkward, but so it is. One new thing that I've noticed in the past week or so (starting around week 5) is that I can't stop eating. I have an enormous, endless appetite. Anyone else experience anything like this...
  14. L

    Bilateral THR LarryNYC's Recovery Journey

    Thanks, Bradley. I definitely had a better-than-usual recovery, from what I've been told. I am young for the procedure, have no underlying health problems, and just had a terrific surgery, and perhaps some good luck as well. I wish you well in your own procedure. Tape is an interesting idea...
  15. L

    Bilateral THR LarryNYC's Recovery Journey

    Update: a physican friend informed me that about 2 weeks post-op is safe for scar coverup in general. But I've contacted my surgeon to get his take as well and will also consult with a dermatologic surgeon if needed.
Back
Top Bottom