Recent content by Larry Rod

  1. Larry Rod

    PKR Scar Tissue after PKR

    RunA42K Sorry about that. The message was cut off. Bonnie, is it safe to assume that you did some skiing while you were in Oregon? If so, what are your thoughts on my goal of taking my daughter skiing in February? OK? Bad idea? Time will tell?
  2. Larry Rod

    PKR Scar Tissue after PKR

    RunA42K B
  3. Larry Rod

    PKR Scar Tissue after PKR

    Thanks. I love the Newport area, but, unfortunately, most of my time will be spent in a paper mill in Toledo (about 7 miles inland). I will be sure to keep Roger's advice in mind about not divulging anything about the metal parts if I am routed to the scanner. I am TSA Pre-Check which does me...
  4. Larry Rod

    PKR Scar Tissue after PKR

    Looking for input... one of my key goals in my recovery is to be able to take my daughter snow skiing in late February. At that time, I will be 7 months post-surgery. I have shared this goal with my OS and PT and have not received any negative responses. I plan to wear a knee brace for...
  5. Larry Rod

    PKR Scar Tissue after PKR

    Unfortunately, no handicap placard, so I park where I can. I will be flying from Atlanta to Portland, OR, followed by a 3 hour drive to Newport, OR. It is good that I picked a nice, easy trip for my return to traveling. Thanks for the tip on printing the card from the TSA site. I will be...
  6. Larry Rod

    PKR Scar Tissue after PKR

    I know SJC airport well. I used to live in San Mateo and used both SFO and SJC regularly (now ATL is the main departure point for me). I used to be a road warrior (90+% travel) but have scaled back to 40-50%. Even with the travel experience, I am still a little concerned about this first...
  7. Larry Rod

    TKR All done--YAY!

    I am jealous of 125 degrees. My surgery was about a week before yours but I am light years behind you in ROM (105). From what I have read from others, you are doing extremely well.
  8. Larry Rod

    TKR All done--YAY!

    zoesmom429 Welcome to the "bionic" world. I am a recent new member, just having had a PKR on my left knee 7.5 weeks ago. Until finding the forum and heeding the advice of the members here, I was pushing myself too hard, too fast. Some may say that I still do, but no where to the extent that...
  9. Larry Rod

    PKR Scar Tissue after PKR

    A quick update on progress... since I have been heeding the advice of those who have "walked before me" by resting the knee, my ROM has improved to 105 degrees flexion and 1 degree extension. My gait while walking is more natural looking, not "peg-legged" as some have described it. Next week...
  10. Larry Rod

    PKR Scar Tissue after PKR

    Roger, Thanks for the message. First of all, the avatar is my knee as of last Friday. I am trying to scale back my activity as much as possible to allow enough rest for the knee to recover on its own terms. Patience is a virtue that I must continue to work on. I miss the Bay area...
  11. Larry Rod

    PKR Scar Tissue after PKR

    Regarding the ineffectiveness of ibuprofen, I chose that option for the anti-inflammatory effect. I weaned myself off of the Percocet two weeks after the surgery and started the anti-inflammatories as soon as I was done with the blood thinner medication. As my greatest concern has been around...
  12. Larry Rod

    PKR Scar Tissue after PKR

    Josephine Thank you for moving the thread from Zoie's. I apologize for the highjacking of her thread. I also greatly appreciate the responses to my concerns. Since joining the group and heeding the advice of the members, I have reduced my PT to 2 days a week and have changed to a "no pain"...
  13. Larry Rod

    PKR Scar Tissue after PKR

    Thanks for the catch on the "unicompartmental" gaffe - it has been corrected. I understand that "scar tissue" on the forum refers to adhesions, but my PT informed me that by working the scar (massaging along the scar line), it would help to release scar tissue/adhesions below the surface or...
  14. Larry Rod

    PKR Scar Tissue after PKR

    Thanks for the words of wisdom and advice. I have upcoming business trips which will force me to reduce the PT sessions to 1 or 2 per week for a couple of weeks. I will take advantage of that time to rest the knee. As for my progress, at yesterday's PT session, I was at 1 degree for extension...
  15. Larry Rod

    PKR Scar Tissue after PKR

    Thanks for the advice. It is always easier to provide words of wisdom (like "rest and not push it") than it is to take that advice. It is time for my humility to kick into a higher gear and heed that advice for myself.
Back
Top Bottom