Recent content by Lane47

  1. Lane47

    Shoulder pain and surgery results questions

    Your biggest challenge will be lifting, short term, no lifting for 3 months, then slowly progressing to normal. Reason is that the muscles need time to attach / reattach to bone and prosthesis. My friend had both shoulders replaced, now plays golf, tennis, etc. I have left shoulder schedule for...
  2. Lane47

    TKR Lane 47, December 12, 2016 <

    Josephine I understand, never thought about the trail for others, I was trying to be concise, quoting only part of ones comments. I see now I can do that, with a quote box. Thanks for your support, in all parts of my journey.
  3. Lane47

    TKR Lane 47, December 12, 2016 <

    I did not receive any gait training, other than your stride should be this long, and land on your heel, then toe. Besides the 6 exercises she sent me home with, I always did 3 or 4 exercises while at the PT center, as part of her response to my request for assistance with my gait. As I have...
  4. Lane47

    TKR Lane 47, December 12, 2016 <

    I appreciate the input that I receive from everyone on this forum, plus my local PT community, and my doctor. I am a retired engineer, I have a process for solving problems, my knee is not a problem per se, but attaining my mobility back and the ability to hike a few miles a day is my goal. I'll...
  5. Lane47

    TKR Lane 47, December 12, 2016 <

    Thanks for this advice. I actually did this with the other PT, they gave me 6 exercises to do, using a band. All standing, with blue band around ankle. It had little impact on my knee. Should I expect something like this (exercises, not necessarily these exercises) from a good PT?
  6. Lane47

    TKR Highlander's New Knee

    Just finished reading your story, one thing for sure, no 2 knees are alike, I've read through probably 50 profiles now, each one of us is different. The one common factor, Rest, ice, and elevate helps more than any PT routine or exercise. Thanks for the information about sleeves, my next...
  7. Lane47

    TKR Lane 47, December 12, 2016 <

    It's been two weeks since my doctor released me from visiting the PT. My knee therapy (other than ice and elevation) has been just my daily activities, only at a reduced pace. No exercises specific to my knee. I still have a lot of soreness and stiffness in my knee, the pain is managed with...
  8. Lane47

    TKR Lane 47, December 12, 2016 <

    What would anyone suggest to improve my sleep quality? I wake up about every 2 hours, usually with pain in my knee. I can usually reduce the pain with either ice, massage, just walking around for a minute or two, and if all others fail, medication. Basically, when my knee is "still" for a couple...
  9. Lane47

    TKR Slow going TKR January 9, 2017<<

    I think you have heard enough to follow the Bonesmart plan, but thought I would provide one more testimony. I had my left TKR on 12/12/2016. My PT never hurt me like you described, but they did push me at first to exercise at home and increase my ROM on each visit. After the first 2 weeks, I...
  10. Lane47

    TKR Lane 47, December 12, 2016 <

    Visited doctor yesterday, he was pleased with my progress, and released me from further PT visits, unless I have a setback. My ROM is currently at 0 & 125. He advised that I should expect to feel Heat in my knee for a few more months, which if I understand, indicates healing. What type of...
  11. Lane47

    TKR Lane 47, December 12, 2016 <

    Thanks Josephine, I totally understand, I don't even massage, nature will take care of this part!
  12. Lane47

    TKR Lane 47, December 12, 2016 <

    LTKR4Xmas Hope you are doing well, thanks for the input and question. Your question regarding avoiding scar line was answered very well by a forum expert. My PT was the person that advised me to avoid the scar line to avoid infection.
  13. Lane47

    TKR Lane 47, December 12, 2016 <

    Mireille, I do not use gel. Don't even have any gel. My PT uses a TENS like unit on each visit, they do not use gel, but sometimes they clean my knee with alcohol swab. The electrodes last for several sessions, actually depends on how clean your knee is before use. At the PT, we have used 10...
  14. Lane47

    TKR Lane 47, December 12, 2016 <

    Josephine, you are awesome, thanks so much. My doctor described it as a STIM unit, but your research is correct, just a TENS unit. I've used it once today, great results, rather short term, decreased pain for about an hour, but wow, no side effects, and immediate relief!
  15. Lane47

    Revision TKR Failure of TKR

    As you have discovered, this is an awesome support system. Do not hesitate to ask any question, they will help and support you. I am single, live alone, and experienced some of the issues that you described. My surgery date was a week before you, so I am at 6 weeks since surgery. My sleep for...
Back
Top Bottom