Recent content by jeano

  1. J

    TKR How often and how far should you walk 3 month post op

    Walk, ice, elevate, meds if you need them. I had truly fabulous "easy" recoveries for 2 PKRs but was elevating and icing intermittently for quite a while.
  2. J

    PKR JusticeRider’s rehab adventure

    Plus you can teach a horse to kneel!
  3. J

    PKR JusticeRider’s rehab adventure

    As someone who was riding her horses roughly 4 weeks after partial knee replacements I will dispute that mounting requires 120 degrees of flexion. A mounting block will be your friend. It's easier on your new knee and easier on your horses back. If you're light and limber enough that the...
  4. J

    PKR PKR or TKR Questions

    I've had PKRs both knees and my response to the argument that I'll need a revision to TKR has been this: I might need revision ANYWAY, even if I initially had a TKR. I'm very active, s$%t happens, and both my parents lived into their 90s and I could conceivably live even longer. First joint...
  5. J

    TKR Questions & Concerns on scheduling my TKR this year

    Fwiw the American Academy of Orthopedic Suregons, the American Heart Association and the American Dental Association ALL have current best practices guidelines that concur antibiotic prophylaxis for MOST procedures/most patients does little more than create more antibiotic resistant bacteria...
  6. J

    Ankle TAR 8/2

    My attitude stinks but no point in whining about the arthritis. Lots of afflictions I wouldnt trade it for. Undoubtedly there's a genetic component and being obese for a good bit of my life exacerbated wear and tear and inflammation. Proud to say I just wore a good deal of my cartilage out and...
  7. J

    Ankle TAR 8/2

    PKRs are both fine. Waa back on my horses within 5 weeks for both. Forgot to mention a foot fusion in 2017. Its good, too. Ditto the thumb arthroplasty...I'm an orthopedic surgeon's wet dream, I'm certain I've put somebody's kids through college AND grad school. I have had phenomenally good...
  8. J

    Ankle TAR 8/2

    Old campaigner here with many posts in the past when I skated through two PKRs. 2nd PKR postponed when a horse rolled on the leg scheduled to have surgery the very next day in 2014. That broken ankle developed traumatic arthritis. I was going to have the TAR in 2020, but between covid and Mr...
  9. J

    PKR partial knee replacement x2, swelling<<

    FWIW I was able to drive myself to PT and elsewhere at 3weeks after my first pkr, rode my horse at 5weeks, back to work at 7weeks. Second knee, riding at 4 weeks and if memory serves, able to work at 6 weeks. You are on a tight timeline but maybe do able. If you can tote ice on your route and...
  10. J

    Meds for physical therapy pain

    I did take half a lortab last weekend, too much tourism. That was the first opiate I've had since August. I haven't even used ice since last weekend,, but might take 2000mmg Tylenol in a day. I think I took one Aleve this past week. Bedside drawer is stuffed with enough drugs to last me through...
  11. J

    PKR Let the games begin!!! (therapy/recovery)

    I never had one for the first knee. They sent me home with one for the second knee with no instructions whatsoever. Its gathering dust in my medical equipment closet of horrors.
  12. J

    Wilma's Story

    A cart on wheels, something along the lines of a tea trolley or bar cart, could make life easier once you are using a cane, for emptying and refilling your ice machine, or in general trying to get stuff from point a to point b independently. A commuter cup with a spill proof lid can make...
  13. J

    Frozen knee......help!!!

    If you can move your leg independently the Cpm isn't likely to do much for you. If you like it and it isn't causing problems then fine, use it. The numbers the cpm says you are achieving don't translate to 'real' rom measurements. And 'real' rom doesn't translate exactly to real life comfort and...
  14. J

    TKR Help! I've developed right hip pain 3 months after LTKR.

    One pair of new shoes, wear only them as much as feasible for a few days and see if legs and feet don't say aaahhhh. Last weekend I tried tromping all over historic Charleston wearing newish sneakers with old orthotics, alternating with favorite orthopedic crocs. Legs and feet very unhappy...
  15. J

    Meds for physical therapy pain

    Tylenol doesn't relieve inflammation but it DOES relieve pain. I've managed both knees with ice, elevation, lots o' Tylenol a few Aleve and very very little opiates. Not meaning to dissuade you from using narcotics but encouraging you to try Tylenol. Be aware that the upper limit of safety is...
Back
Top Bottom