Recent content by jds

  1. J

    TKR Assigned PT exercises and sharp pain – told to just work through it…….

    My surgeon said that my knee is still early in the recovery after the debridement procedure, just give it time to heel. And come back in 6 weeks for a follow-up appointment. I guess I was expecting too much too soon but those expectations were based on her pre-surgery advise that you will be...
  2. J

    TKR Assigned PT exercises and sharp pain – told to just work through it…….

    Sorry, I probably should have waited until after the appointment with my OS tomorrow before creating my previous post. I'm just freaking out a bit since lately I feel worse than before the arthrofibrosis debridement. After a few days of feeling great, now the pain and stiffness are getting a...
  3. J

    TKR Assigned PT exercises and sharp pain – told to just work through it…….

    Update after the arthro debridement: For the first 4-5 days after the procedure I felt that the debridement was a great success. The snapping feeling along the inner side of my knee was completely gone. Each day seemed like I made noticeable gains in pain free walking, stairs, etc. Then over the...
  4. J

    PKR Boredom, self-pity, pain and frustration

    reeldove - Tylenol will definitely help with the pain. Just be careful not to exceed the maximum dose, which I believe is 4000 mg from all sources in any 24 hr period. Be aware that acetaminophen (Tylenol) is also sometimes included in other OTC and prescription meds.
  5. J

    PKR Boredom, self-pity, pain and frustration

    Very, very unlikely you dislodged anything. I had random, out of nowhere stabbing pains until about 8-10 weeks post-surgery. Sometimes when just sitting there, sometimes at night. They lessen and get milder as time goes on.
  6. J

    TKR Assigned PT exercises and sharp pain – told to just work through it…….

    My arthroscopic debridement surgery was last Wednesday. It went really well, a piece of cake really, compared to the TKR procedure. It has completely resolved the catching, snapping sensation and associated pain when doing stairs. I still have some minor swelling but not too much now 4 days...
  7. J

    TKR Recovering from TKR Jan 28/20

    I had the same shooting pains. It seems to come out of nowhere then bam! I used a recirculating cold therapy device. It was a bit expensive but I found it much more effective vs. cold packs. Staying on the prescibed meds (don't wait for the pain to start before taking them) early on in recovery...
  8. J

    PKR Boredom, self-pity, pain and frustration

    I used a basic rolling walker at home day and night for the first two weeks or so, and then continued using it at night for another few weeks if I had to get up for any reason. I found it gave me a lot more confidence because my new knee would tend to give out fairly frequently. It was also...
  9. J

    TKR Infrared Light Therapy

    BCBSM - My surgeon didn't discuss cortisone, infrared light therapy (or MUA) as possible solutions. I'm having an arthroscopy procedure, which is significantly less traumatic than the original TKR and I guess it just seems like a good idea to go in and actually visualize what is going on in...
  10. J

    TKR Assigned PT exercises and sharp pain – told to just work through it…….

    Helizabug - Reading your bio, it looks like you've been through hell and back with all those procedures over the years. Especially on the left side. I didn't know what a MUA was so I looked it up. It seems like it could be pretty painful for a while after the anesthesia wears off. Has it brought...
  11. J

    TKR Assigned PT exercises and sharp pain – told to just work through it…….

    Well, I had my final follow-up visit with my surgeon last Wednesday (14 wks post TKR). I told her I felt like I was doing just OK in my recovery, frustrated that I wasn't further along but understood this is a marathon not a sprint. My biggest complaint is a snapping feeling along the inner...
  12. J

    TKR Assigned PT exercises and sharp pain – told to just work through it…….

    Thanks Roy. My ROM is already pretty good - I can get to 0° extension and about 135° flexion after some mild stretching. I've always been naturally flexible and could essentially sit on my heals before my replaced knee got bad. I still can on my other knee. I'm guessing that my new knee will...
  13. J

    TKR Assigned PT exercises and sharp pain – told to just work through it…….

    Thanks kneeper. I was pushing myself to increase reps/time etc. so some fault lies with me. I tend to push like that. Part of the problem was that I was tired of sitting around and being tired. And since I was given the green light (and pushed) by PT to regain my lost strength, I was going for...
  14. J

    TKR Assigned PT exercises and sharp pain – told to just work through it…….

    And thank you Celle for all the links to the reference info. Your one reply contains more useful information about my TKR than all the other pre-op information packets and meetings provided to me by the hospital/surgeon combined.
  15. J

    TKR Assigned PT exercises and sharp pain – told to just work through it…….

    Thanks everyone for the replies and encouraging words. I so wish that I would have found this supportive community earlier. It really has been a physical and emotional struggle. I will likely have my other knee done sometime in the not too distant future and know (hope) it will be easier the...
Back
Top Bottom