Recent content by JDonovan

  1. JDonovan

    TKR Maybe I'm wrong....but....

    I am almost 7 weeks post op on my 2nd knee replacement. My progress was amazing in the beginning and has now slowed down (I'm not really shocked by this). My 1st knee replacement developed a significant amount of scar tissue and I had to have an MUA - that was 3 years ago. That knee gets...
  2. JDonovan

    2016 July Sparklers - Are you having knee surgery in July?

    Done!!! Back to work and getting better every day Woo Hoo!
  3. JDonovan

    Scheduling TKR in the dead of winter?

    I did my first one in mid November and found that trying to negotiate ice and snow even 2 months afterward, is not a great idea. That is why I am doing my second one next week.
  4. JDonovan

    How did you guys ice?

    Remember when we used to borrow clothing from our friends?? What has happened to us?? :heehee:
  5. JDonovan

    ....so they sent me to "class"

    I have to be honest, it started to feel "real" after that. I liken it being pregnant a second time, you know what to expect, but the voice in your head says to you: "all of THIS has got to come out of THERE!" :dubious: But I am getting a bit anxious....only 9 days :shocked:
  6. JDonovan

    ....so they sent me to "class"

    Even though I already had a previous TKR, I HAD to attend "class" (granted, it was 2 years ago and with a different surgeon and a different hospital). They went over all the standard stuff that I remember quite well from my first TKR. What struck me was the fact that each department (i.e...
  7. JDonovan

    How did you guys ice?

    If someone already posted this, I apologize, but here was my trick from my 1st TKR (and it's inexpensive). Take rubbing alcohol and pour it in a gallon size ziploc bag, then fill the same bottle with water twice and pour that in the ziploc bag. Put the first bag inside a second bag just in...
  8. JDonovan

    Looking for PT in Kenosha WI

    I had been in intractable pain with the knee and degenerative discs in my lower back for years....on percocet for pain as needed for years. The one thing I did need after surgery, was to have my meds staggered. My doc had me on oxycontin every 12 hours, then percocet every 4 then they used...
  9. JDonovan

    Anesthetic

    Like @sistersinhim, I also had a block and sedation....I don't remember a thing. I do believe most people "wake up" easier after that rather than general....plus, I work in broadcasting, and one of the toughest things for me after general is my voice (most likely because of the breathing tube...
  10. JDonovan

    Questions concerning my TKR

    The key is to not allow the pain to get in front of you.....my ex husband just had his done and tried (even though I warned him) to stretch out the time between pills....he quickly realized that was NOT the way to go.
  11. JDonovan

    LTKR scheduled for 7/14/16

    Fingers crossed for you
  12. JDonovan

    LTKR scheduled for 7/14/16

    I found that using a product called "Cryoderm" on my calf because it felt like a constant charlie horse after my surgery. It has Arnica and MSM in it, along with a cooling/heating effect....obviously, you don't put it anywhere near the incision, but it helped with the tight and cramping feeling...
  13. JDonovan

    TKR in July after 20 years of problems

    Welcome to the party!!! I had a TKR on my right knee almost 3 years ago....and it was so much fun that I get to have the left knee done on July 20th :rotfl: Actually, it was the best thing I have ever done....you will be amazed at how good you will feel after you are healed - be realistic and...
  14. JDonovan

    Knitkathy bilateral TKR June 13

    OMG!! I forgot....there is something else....actually 2 things: Ben and Jerry!!! Ice Cream is essential and the calories don't count when you are recovering :yes!:
Back
Top Bottom