Recent content by JamesN

  1. J

    TKR SeattleGirl TKR 19/12/20

    For my first TKR, as I was leaving the surgery center, a nurse told me "whatever ROM you get in the next two weeks is what you'll have to live with forever..." sigh. I'll echo what others have said here - nothing could be further from the truth. While I don't recommend just laying around, if...
  2. J

    TKR James's recovery (knee #2)

    This is probably the most significant statement of all. Normal activity will get me there. Thanks for the reminder - excellent advice.
  3. J

    TKR James's recovery (knee #2)

    Quick status update: one week post surgery, and I have hit a milestone where not every waking hour is looking forward to my next pain medication. ROM is slowly improving, taken a couple of showers, my dear wife changed the dressing, and there is no pain above 8 (mostly only 5-7). Have a home...
  4. J

    TKR James's recovery (knee #2)

    Ok. Got home Wednesday night. Going okay but pain still significant. I can still sleep but it’s prob from sheer exhaustion. Doc could only give me limited opioids because of reasons, but going to see her at 10 day mark. I think I can make it until then. Lol. have my first PT in a few min...
  5. J

    TKR James's recovery (knee #2)

    NFenske - good advice. All doped up and ready to go! change of dressing, quick call to my bride and I’ll be on my own.
  6. J

    TKR James's recovery (knee #2)

    Nurse overnight was the best. Encouraged me to stay ahead of the pain, and right now I’m feeling pretty good actually. Nerve block slowly fading - I can now move my foot BP down significantly - it was definitely directly tied to the pain (155/105 down to 122/72) Hope to go home today!
  7. J

    TKR James's recovery (knee #2)

    Me: “hey, I’m at about 5-6 on pain” Nurse: “Here, you’re running just a slight fever, going to give you something to knock that down.” (Take Tylenol) Nurse: “now tell me about the pain” Me: “5-6 and trending up” Nurse: “oh, I can’t give you Norco/Oxy for 6 hours because they have tylenol.” Me...
  8. J

    TKR James's recovery (knee #2)

    Surgery 7am, out about 10-ish. First “walk” about 1:30. I have summoned the bartender as the pain is starting to creep up. Leg hanging off the bed at about 60 degrees I need to keep telling myself this will all be okay and that the juice will be worth the squeeze.
  9. J

    TKR James's recovery (knee #2)

    hi. Do I need to delete and add this to my previous TKR recovery?I don’t mean to break the rules.
  10. J

    TKR James's recovery (knee #2)

    Ouch! All done and back in the recovery room. I had forgotten how much achy ness and pain I had last time. About to call nurse to ask for something more for the pain (I have a nerve block, but sweet Jesus I can’t imagine it without that). Last time they had a button I could press for micro...
  11. J

    TKR James's recovery (knee #2)

    LTKR in July 2018. Going in for RTKR tomorrow morning. Just like last time, I'm pretty terrified. Should be in recovery tomorrow mid day. I have to remind myself that this is going to be a good thing (just like the LTKR turned out). Will report back.
  12. J

    2020 December Supernovas - Are you having knee surgery in December?

    Gulp. second TKR scheduled December 15. Of course, my knee has decided to feel better in the past two weeks.
  13. J

    TKR Three years post TKR

    5 weeks Post Op. This week I went on a one week road trip. Part of the road trip was a trip to the Palo Duro Canyon in Texas as well as a mineral springs spa in New Mexico. I did 2 hikes this week of 2.0-2.2 miles each, plus a few other hikes in the 1/2 mile range. What I found was that the...
  14. J

    TKR JamesN’s recovery

    Well, three weeks post surgery yesterday. Currently 98 degrees flexion. Walking with a cane, but PT has told me no cane needed within my house (yay!). Still quite a bit of swelling. I didn't really expect the amount of mental strain this would have on me - I can work, but it's clear that I'm in...
  15. J

    TKR JamesN’s recovery

    Hoping you are wrong, NavyGunns, but good to be prepared. It's true, I am feeling much better. I did get a cane, and realized "nope, not ready yet" when I tried it for about 3 steps. It is here when I can migrate to it. Sleeping at the moment is pretty easy, however, I do keep the medication...
Back
Top Bottom