Recent content by Iski

  1. I

    Ankle Skiing with Total Ankle Replacement

    I thought it might be helpful to report back. I elected to do revision surgery (Wright Invision) at Seattle's Harborview Foot and Ankle clinic. Surgery was May 7, 2025. 7 weeks into recovery now. My revision surgery is night and day better than initial one. This surgeon pointed out a couple...
  2. I

    Ankle Tennis (doubles) After TAR

    Hi. I'm a skier (downhill mainly and some cross country and back country) and had similar questions about my preferred activity. I've spent a LOT of time researching articles about TAR and have found very little about how skiing might affect the longevity of a TAR. My surgeon really didn't...
  3. I

    Ankle Skiing with Total Ankle Replacement

    @benne68 I'm still trying to get second opinion arranged, so not sure. For a variety of family and location reasons, I'm hoping I can hold out for 6-7 months. See how it goes.
  4. I

    Ankle Skiing with Total Ankle Replacement

    Well, I'm at about 16 months now and unfortunately it's looking like I may be one of the 10% or so patients where the TAR doesn't work. In quite a bit of pain now. The Tenex procedure to remove bone spurs didn't help. 2 recent CT fusion scans not showing obvious loosening or settlement: a few...
  5. I

    Ankle Skiing with Total Ankle Replacement

    @Newhip_Pol . Thanks for the thoughts. Now 6+ weeks out, it doesn't appear that the Tenex procedure to remove bone chips helped much. Perhaps a tiny bit. I still have quite a bit of pain when walking. As always, it’s painful after sitting for 20-50 steps. When I wear cushy HOKAs with orthotics...
  6. I

    Ankle Skiing with Total Ankle Replacement

    5 weeks after my Tenex procedure. During meeting with ultrasound doc 3 weeks ago he was pleased with the procedure (did what he wanted it to do). There he said it could be 4-6 weeks for recovery. He showed me a new way of taping using Leukotape-P that could help heal from that procedure and...
  7. I

    Ankle Dingo dad in recovery from TAR

    @dingo dad Hey, how're you doing? Been a while since we've heard from you. I'm hoping you're improving (I was going to say "steady improvement", but I don't think TARs lead to steady very often!!)
  8. I

    Ankle Skiing with Total Ankle Replacement

    2 weeks after Tenex procedure, I have a little relief, but not that much. Was told originally it could take 4 weeks. Seeing my Ultrasound doc tomorrow. Will update in a bit.
  9. I

    Ankle TAR on Thursday 19th September

    Good luck Andy! Yeah, it's a big deal and is a long road, but it won't be too long until your pain is far less than what you experienced prior to the surgery. As mbbs notes, the implants and installation tech have come a long way, and yes, knee scooters work great: I carried mine on my bike...
  10. I

    Ankle Skiing with Total Ankle Replacement

    I had my Tenex-bone procedure yesterday to remove 2 bone spurs on the lateral side of tibia. Amazing to me how this procedure works. No anesthetic other than lidocaine around and into spurs. Procedure took about 20 minutes. With this procedure, ultrasound "zaps" bone and saline suction removes...
  11. I

    Ankle Skiing with Total Ankle Replacement

    13 month update. I've fought pain in my posterior tibialis tendon and an accessory navicular where tendon attaches to navicular pretty much since I started first walking in a boot after my TAR. Off and on, but got pretty bad at times. After a lot of trial and error KT taping and a redesigned...
  12. I

    Ankle 13 month TAR Surgeon's Appointment

    @hackberry Glad to hear it! Hopefully, this is what you need to get back at it.
  13. I

    Ankle TAR after 2 ORIFs.

    @clancy . Looking good there! :thumb:
  14. I

    Ankle TAR after 2 ORIFs.

    @clancy Good luck with the TAR. I too am a skier and on month 11 on my TAR. I had x-rays at 9 months: implant is solid and it appears to be working fine. I'm continuing to struggle with tibial tendon pain but it's slowly improving after focused steps to get it quieted down. BTW, that...
  15. I

    Ankle Skiing with Total Ankle Replacement

    @Gallaher Thanks for the reply. Yes, wearing out a TAR is a concern: the data indicate that happens to most. Interesting to me that the In-Bone revision is working better than your original Infinity. I wonder if that's improved device, improved installation tools/protocols/surgeon...
Back
Top Bottom