Recent content by Grammy211

  1. Grammy211

    THR My Special Needs brother

    Thank you @djklaugh! He said he has no pain and even took a shower (with me right there) but I will watch him closely.
  2. Grammy211

    THR My Special Needs brother

    I have another question- my brother fell down our carpeted stairs . He seems to be ok (just shaken up) and not hurting anywhere but do I need to call his surgeon in the morning and have him checked? Are there signs I need to watch for in case he dislocated the hip? He is 5 weeks post op and...
  3. Grammy211

    THR My Special Needs brother

    Approximately how long does a THR patient need to use the toilet extender? My brother is fine getting on and off the toilet but has to use the supportive arms on an extender in order to get up. He is almost 5 weeks post op. Is this normal or do I need to encourage and work with him more?
  4. Grammy211

    THR My Special Needs brother

    @CricketHip my brother has limped for many years and does have trouble with balance. Supposedly he has had the extreme arthritis for years, had an old fracture that was never detected and the surgeon found a large benign mass in the hip area that he believes my brother was born with. As a...
  5. Grammy211

    THR My Special Needs brother

    It will be 4 weeks this coming Monday since my brother’s hip replacement. He just finished 3 weeks of home PT and the therapist suggests that he continue with going to a facility to continue PT. I am torn about this because all the therapist seems to do is watch the patient do their exercises. I...
  6. Grammy211

    THR My Special Needs brother

    Just popping in to say my brother came home yesterday (Thursday) and did not have to go to rehab! He is so happy! Had the first visiting nurse and therapy appts today. I think he is doing great; much better than I expected! He has a long way to go but I am very encouraged for him! He doesn’t...
  7. Grammy211

    THR My Special Needs brother

    @Layla I don’t know about visitors at the rehab center but I haven’t been allowed to visit bc in the hospital so I’m presuming there will be similar rules. He does have a cell phone so he can call me any time and I do call him several times a day. @subie2021 thank you, this is encouraging and...
  8. Grammy211

    THR My Special Needs brother

    Thank you everyone for your replies. I didn’t know about the hip kits and I will definitely look into those! The recovery aid list is very helpful also! My brother is most likely going to a rehab center which I am struggling with. Part of me thinks this is a good thing for him but part of me...
  9. Grammy211

    THR My Special Needs brother

    Hi everyone! I posted in the pre-op forum about my brother’s (he’s 62) THR. I am his caregiver and he lives with my husband and myself. The anterior procedure was done yesterday (Jan.10) and so far he’s doing well. He had a spinal and when I talked with him last night he wasn’t in any pain yet...
  10. Grammy211

    THR Special needs brother

    I never thought of this! Thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely give this a try!
  11. Grammy211

    THR Special needs brother

    Thank you everyone! I am borrowing a raised toilet seat and have decided to move a bed downstairs for him. He had his pre-op testing done yesterday and we found out that I can’t be with him before or after surgery and no visitors while he’s in the hospital. They might not even let me take him to...
  12. Grammy211

    THR Special needs brother

    Thank you; this is helpful!
  13. Grammy211

    THR Special needs brother

    Hello everyone! My special needs brother is having hip replacement surgery January 10. My brother lives with my husband and me, he is 62. I would love any tips and helps to make his surgery an easier process for him (and me). I had TKR in 2013 and 2017 and this site was a tremendous help to me...
  14. Grammy211

    Getting scared...and it's my second TKR!!

    Hi @need2knees! I know exactly what you're going through! My first tkr was 4 years ago and I said the exact same thing-"never again no matter how bad the other knee gets!" So I put it off for almost 3 years till I was pretty much house bound and in constant pain. I found a new doctor, expressed...
Back
Top Bottom