Lounge Doctor

THR My Special Needs brother

Grammy211

senior
Country
United States United States
Hi everyone! I posted in the pre-op forum about my brother’s (he’s 62) THR. I am his caregiver and he lives with my husband and myself. The anterior procedure was done yesterday (Jan.10) and so far he’s doing well. He had a spinal and when I talked with him last night he wasn’t in any pain yet. He will most likely be in the hospital till Wednesday depending on how he does with PT.
We have moved a bed downstairs to our living room for him and I borrowed a toilet seat extender. I plan to get him a reacher/grabber tool. The hospital will give him a walker. Is there anything else I need to get ready for him?
The doctor said it was the worst case of arthritis he’s seen and that his hip was very deformed because of the arthritis. The arthritis has probably been there a very long time. My brother has a hard time explaining what is going on when he’s in pain so most injuries are a guessing game. I feel badly that we didn’t see this sooner but am glad it’s finally taken care of. I am hoping he will feel so much better in the long run!
Thank you for letting me ramble! This site was such a great help to me with my TKR and I know you all will be helpful to me with my brother!

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
As your brother‘s loving caregiver, Welcome to the healing side of the hip forum. If you haven’t already, please read through the Recovery Guidelines left on the pre-op thread where you initially shared your brother‘s story.

It’s good to hear surgery is behind him and he’s resting comfortably. I hope his recovery is easy on him, as well as on you.

I’ll leave some info below on Recovery Aids. Give us a shout if you have questions, or need advice, we’re here for support. :)

@Grammy211

Hippielife

senior
Country
Hello Grammy,

Very nice to help him out. There is a whole kit available online just for THR patients.

Higher chairs add higher seat cushion. This includes bed height risers online. With these sitting areas raised he will be at a better height for getting up from any sitting position and down for the next few weeks.

Protein shakes helps daily. Stool softener, Pain meds cause constipation. A good diet and always eating before taking meds is a must to prevent stomach issues.

Baneful in glass of juice daily. It also prevents stomach issues.
or hip patients.

Keep water within reach.

Keep a bed side tray that roles on casters next to bed.

Plastic pill container to continue medication and vitamins .

Purchase a portable limb pump battery op…online helps will swelling and pain. Sleeves that fit over the thigh and calf with tubes attached it gently pumps air on/off and battery op.

Have lots ice handy. Ice machines are handy can make ice on demand.

There are sock helpers , and many other hippie aides available.

I’m sure others will fill in other aides for hippies.

subie2021

Country
Check out the hip kits on Amazon. Beware the dressing stick though...mine had a sharp metal hook on one end that needed to be removed lest it slice a hand.
There are lots of YouTube videos that show how to do most post-hip replacement ADLs, like putting on pants with a dressing stick, using the sock aid, getting into the shower, and getting in and out of bed.
If home visits from a physical or occupational therapist is an option, I would take advantage of it. I had four visits and at each one the pt gave lots of ideas and advice about doing things safely, and making sure I understood and followed restrictions. He gave me very simple exercises to help with log leg, and was happy to check out our set up and modifications.
Best wishes for a great recovery for your brother.

OP
OP
Grammy211

Grammy211

senior
Country
Thank you everyone for your replies. I didn’t know about the hip kits and I will definitely look into those! The recovery aid list is very helpful also! My brother is most likely going to a rehab center which I am struggling with. Part of me thinks this is a good thing for him but part of me wants him to come home. I know it will be a lot more work for me if he comes home now but I worry that he won’t get the care and help he needs at a rehab center. At any rate we will know more today.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
Hi Laura,
If you do decide on rehab, I’m wondering if you’d be able to visit your brother there to confirm he’s comfortable, thriving and receiving proper care?
Wishing you peace of mind with whatever decision you make.
@Grammy211

subie2021

Country
Hi Laura,
If it helps, I can tell you that my sister went to a rehab facility directly from the hospital, and it worked out well for her.
She wasn't able to complete the necessary pre-discharge tasks in the hospital, so it wasn't considered safe for her to go home right then. She wasn't happy about not going directly home but it worked out for the best. Being home but not being able to do a few stairs into the house, and not being able to walk to the bathroom or to get in and out of bed would have been a huge problem for everyone involved. And if she fell? Yikes!
She told me the rehab was able to get her moving, the food was good, and the staff was as attentive as she needed.
She was at the facility for a week or so, and when she was sent home she did well.
I hope it all works out as well for your family. Best wishes for brother's speedy recovery.

OP
OP
Grammy211

Grammy211

senior
Country
@Layla I don’t know about visitors at the rehab center but I haven’t been allowed to visit bc in the hospital so I’m presuming there will be similar rules. He does have a cell phone so he can call me any time and I do call him several times a day.

@subie2021 thank you, this is encouraging and I’m praying that my brother has the same success at the rehab as your sister!

OP
OP
Grammy211

Grammy211

senior
Country
Just popping in to say my brother came home yesterday (Thursday) and did not have to go to rehab! He is so happy! Had the first visiting nurse and therapy appts today. I think he is doing great; much better than I expected! He has a long way to go but I am very encouraged for him! He doesn’t have any pain either which amazes me!

Pumpkin

Country
Happy to hear your brother is doing well and is at home.
Wishing him continued healing.

Here are the Hip Recovery Guidelines for you and your brother, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Hip4life

Forum Advisor
Country
That is wonderful news. Unless there’s an absolutely necessity to go to a rehab center, being home is always better physically, mentally, and emotionally. Love is one of the best medicines that only you can give. Blessings for continued good recovery for your brother. Keep us posted.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
Thanks for sharing an update. I’ll bet it was a relief for both you and your brother hearing he could go straight home. There is nothing like the comfort of home after the commotion of a surgery site. It’s amazing that he’s feeling no pain. I hope he can tolerate ice if it ramps up. It truly helps.
Wishing you all a nice weekend!
@Grammy211

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Country
Glad to hear your brother is all done and dusted....and not expressing any significant pain.:) :-) (:
Dealing with the pain of bone on bone OA is horrid, and even with surgical pain....I felt so thrilled to have "that" pain gone!
I found Ice to be my best recovery tool:ice:

Hope all keeps getting better and better:tada:

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
modcons
Recent bookmarks