Recent content by gershom

  1. gershom

    Bilateral THR Replacement accomplished!

    Oh my! I missed the last post, over a year ago! I guess we move on and enjoy life! The weight loss was a function of doing just that: Taking advantage of the gift that was BTHR and getting down to living. It will be two years in January since the surgery. To be sure, I have followed advice and...
  2. gershom

    Bilateral THR Replacement accomplished!

    I graduated from PT!! (BTHR Jan 30, 2013). I have returned to regular workouts, lost 25 pounds, can sustain sprints on a recumbent bicycle with heart rate >175 bpm, my blood pressure has stabilized at the most healthy level ever in my life - and I get the most amazing compliments regarding my...
  3. gershom

    Bilateral THR Replacement accomplished!

    Hello all! I had my 6-month checkup a couple of weeks ago and all is well. I am still doing PT, trying to get the pelvis, hips and sacrum to move in harmony. Other than some residual back issues (that existed prior to the hip issues), I'm going GREAT: Pain-free, and on the move. I jogged around...
  4. gershom

    Bilateral THR Replacement accomplished!

    Greetings all - I've been offline for several weeks as my physical therapist adds more and more exercises to my daily routine. It seems that the lumbar issues I have (L4, L5, S1) present challenges to getting the back, pelvis and hips to work in harmony. The process of regaining strength and...
  5. gershom

    Bilateral THR Replacement accomplished!

    sansabosa - The ball exercises are done with the large 75cm body ball. These are the ones that I am doing per my physical therapist's instruction: 1) Lying on the back, place both heels on the top center of the ball and roll it forward and backward with the heels and legs. 2) Same as one, but...
  6. gershom

    Hippies scars - post your badges of honor here: NO CHIT-CHAT HERE PLEASE

    Just shy of 7 weeks: Where's the scar? :-) The other side is about the same. Now to get some muscle mass back and get rid of the puckers....
  7. gershom

    Bilateral THR Replacement accomplished!

    This week in PT: More Thera band exercises (hip adductors, abductors), and the "big ball." I'm rolling the ball forward and back with the back of one leg (at a time) while on my back, trying to keep the ball moving in a straight line. It's pretty funny to watch, as I have very little stability...
  8. gershom

    Bilateral THR ByGosh ByGolly ByLateral

    After watching a THR on YouTube, I decided to pick the biggest, strongest doctor I could find. My guy is about 6'7" and has HUGE hands. I figured he would be good with the saw and hammer, and he wouldn't skimp on a sufficient incision to find all the landmarks with those big finders. I told him...
  9. gershom

    Bilateral THR Replacement accomplished!

    I felt a bit stiff the next day. My physical therapist decided to switch from icing the surgical sites to applying heat (10min). It seems that inflammation has reduced sufficiently, and the stiffness is relaxed with heat. I have also found that a warm shower first thing in the morning helps me...
  10. gershom

    Bilateral THR Replacement accomplished!

    I walked the mile to PT today. Had a great session. Them my physical therapist told me that I should not exceed a mile of walking per day just yet. :-) Yes, I eventually walked back home.
  11. gershom

    Bilateral THR Replacement accomplished!

    My new walking mantra, as I attempt to break the old habits of osteoarthritis: Hips and pelvis are not the same Hips and pelvis are not the same Hips and pelvis are not the same ....
  12. gershom

    Bilateral THR Replacement accomplished!

    Thanks, Josephine. When I posted the photos, I tried to resize them using the "handles" that appear, but that doesn't seem to do it. Are you saying that I need resize the original before posting? Please advise...I don't want to clog up the forum with huge bitmaps!
  13. gershom

    Bilateral THR Replacement accomplished!

    I had an interesting conversation with my PTist today. I related to her that I am able to sleep for about an hour at a time at night, at which time I begin feeling uncomfortable. I have to get up and walk around for about ten minutes, after which I can fall back asleep. The pattern then repeats...
  14. gershom

    Bilateral THR Replacement accomplished!

    ByGosh- In the first couple of weeks, I had several episodes of "OMG what did I do?" Then my wife or my PTist would remind me that I just had major surgery, not unlike a bad car accident where a couple of leg bones were severed. It might have been done by a skilled surgeon, but your body doesn't...
  15. gershom

    Bilateral THR Replacement accomplished!

    Hi BiGosh - I was in similar shape following surgery with regard to blood count...borderline for transfusion, but the doc decided not to. He had me take iron and other supplements, and things stabilized eventually. I did not have drains after surgery, but I did have a lot of swelling from the...
Back
Top Bottom