Recent content by FriesianRider

  1. FriesianRider

    THR PEMF helped with pain after THR surgery

    @Tuppence71 I started using mine two days after my surgery. Ran it for 3 ten minutes cycles (30 min) once a day. I did it for the first three months of recovery daily. The sooner you can start using it, the better. If you are sore the next day, use it for a shorter period of time and then work...
  2. FriesianRider

    THR PEMF helped with pain after THR surgery

    I am not a doctor, but I wanted to share some information about something that can help those with chronic pain after their THR. I had THR on the right Dec 2021 and am having the left done 9/27/22. As an equestrian with high level horse athletes, I always utilize unique modalities to benefit...
  3. FriesianRider

    Bilateral THR Any Bilateral THR equestrians out there?

    @Clarice - Will be having my second hip done next week. Had the right THR done in Dec 2021. (I have bilateral hip dysplasia). I have a barn full of Friesians. I don't know what approach or what type of hip replacement you are getting, and your recovery, as well as how soon you can ride, will...
  4. FriesianRider

    2022 September Sapphires - Are you having hip surgery in September?

    Heading for another THR on the left on Sept 27th. Had the right done Dec 2021 (I have hip dysplasia). Superior approach, dual mobility replacement. No worries on my end... I have the best surgeon with the best approach and the best replacement! Was on a horse 9 weeks after my first surgery and...
  5. FriesianRider

    Hip Resurfacing Failed Resurfacing Revision to Dual Mobility DRs? west

    @Gray Horse - I highly recommend Dr. Rasmussen at TOSH, UT (Total Orthopedic specialty hospital). Outstanding surgeon. I had THR right in Dec 2021 with superior approach and a Dual Mobility replacement. No restrictions, super fast healing and I was back on a horse in 9 weeks. Was riding 6...
  6. FriesianRider

    THR PEMF helped with pain after THR surgery

    @Layla Funny thing is, I hurt more when I take it easy! :shrug: If I sit/recline/lay down for more than 30 minute breaks, I get painful (except at night when I sleep). Yesterday I stood/walked around for two hours giving riding lessons and other than tired, I had no pain. The day before that I...
  7. FriesianRider

    THR Anyone have Dual Mobility Implant?

    @PolarIce I had the superior approach and I'm 5 weeks out. Never had much pain (didn't need the narcotics). No restrictions whatsoever and PT was super easy as I am fit and was riding 6 horses right up until the day before surgery. At 4 weeks I was driving, shopping, doing normal house stuff...
  8. FriesianRider

    THR PEMF helped with pain after THR surgery

    @Layla I am doing fantastic! PT kicked me out as I aced every exercise they gave me.:heehee: I'm driving, going up/down stairs without difficulty, cooking, cleaning my house, shopping and lots of walking. I go out to the barn to feed, clean stalls, and tack up horses. No restrictions other...
  9. FriesianRider

    THR Just looking for some guidance

    Have your PT person measure your leg length. While they try to match your regular leg, some surgeons have difficulty matching leg lengths especially after a fracture. My THR was for dysplasia, but my surgical leg is 1 cm longer than my other - and I had a really top notch surgeon. I find that...
  10. FriesianRider

    THR Well It's Done

    @maponfire Wow! Sounds like you are having a pretty good recovery so far. It's amazing that you are doing everything by yourself! I am 13 days out and have my husband to help me. While I am getting around better than most, there are a few days where I don't think I could have managed without him...
  11. FriesianRider

    THR PEMF helped with pain after THR surgery

    Just wanted to share my experience with others facing THR. My surgery was last Wednesday on my right hip. Surgeon used a superior approach (4" incision) and a dual mobility joint replacement. Surgeon said everything went really well. I was given minimal supine PT exercises and sent home. Pain...
  12. FriesianRider

    THR Anyone have Dual Mobility Implant?

    Had a long conversation about dual mobility joints with my surgeon (I am getting one). As @dapplega above stated, the first generation had issues but have since been fixed. My surgeon said it is the ideal replacement for younger, more athletic individuals, and for those who suffer from hip...
  13. FriesianRider

    THR Any Equestrians Out There?

    @subie2021 Thanks for the good advice! I plan to listen to my body very carefully because I've got a barn full of horses waiting for me to come back strong and ready to ride. Not really worried about the falling off... 20+ years of martial arts taught me the most valuable lesson - how to fall...
  14. FriesianRider

    THR Any Equestrians Out There?

    @Jaycey By minimally invasive I mean that the incision is only 6" long - much shorter than the other two approaches. This approach spares the IT band, the piriformis tendon is repaired and there is very little muscle cut. There are no restrictions afterward either (obviously they don't want you...
  15. FriesianRider

    THR Any Equestrians Out There?

    Looking for feedback from any equestrians who have had THR done. Wanted to know what things worked for you and what didn't as far as getting back into the saddle. I'm scheduled for THR on my right side on Dec 15th due to osteoarthritis caused by hip dysplasia. I am lucky enough to have one of...
Back
Top Bottom