Recent content by FraidyCat

  1. FraidyCat

    THR Hip replacement March 22

    I've been researching (as best as I can, as a layperson) the osteoporosis drugs for almost 20 years, which is when the first in a series of endocrinologists tried to scare me into taking them--for osteopenia. It's since been recognized that these drugs aren't appropriate for osteopenia, as that...
  2. FraidyCat

    TKR Fall during exercise session

    My concern is now shifting back to my R knee--not the knee that was replaced, which was the L knee, but the so-called "good R knee." Unfortunately the "good knee" has bone-on-bone osteoarthritis--the surgeon described it as "done" as viewed on x-rays a few months ago--it experienced two episodes...
  3. FraidyCat

    TKR Fall during exercise session

    @Layla, thank you for thinking of me. It was a long, discouraging month-plus of inactivity due to restrictions advised by the foot doctor. A week and a half ago, a new x-ray showed the metatarsal fractures to be more or less healed, so I was told I could return to driving, health club, etc., and...
  4. FraidyCat

    TKR Fall during exercise session

    Thanks for the kind words and for the encouragement. Since posting here, I emailed the foot doctor and he replied both in writing and with a phone call yesterday, so I now have a somewhat better understanding of why he gave me the Velcro-strap shoe vs. a boot, and a couple of other things...
  5. FraidyCat

    TKR Fall during exercise session

    Thank you for sharing your partially similar experience and for the encouraging words. I'm still in the process of trying to acclimate mentally since this mishap occurred 1.5 weeks ago. My knee definitely isn't happy: noticeably more stiffness/swelling.
  6. FraidyCat

    TKR Fall during exercise session

    I'm sorry to report that I've sustained a foot fracture (3rd and 4th metatarsals) due to a freak accident in the house. I've had a grab bar at the top of my staircase for quite a few years and have always felt secure gripping it and then the stair rail before descending. A week ago, however, my...
  7. FraidyCat

    TKR Fall during exercise session

    I was close to agreeing to get a new bone-density scan for a baseline, as the endocrinologist with whom I met last year (I'm being monitored for a parathyroid nodule) was mild-mannered and not pushy about it. It didn't come up, until after that conversation, that I had two hip replacements, at...
  8. FraidyCat

    TKR Fall during exercise session

    Thanks, @Layla. Hope your week is good as well!
  9. FraidyCat

    TKR Fall during exercise session

    I've refused medications for osteoporosis for almost 25 years. They were first recommended to me for osteopenia, which the FDA no longer considers an appropriate indication for the meds. My last bone-density scan was eight years ago; it showed stability with the scores since the previous scan...
  10. FraidyCat

    TKR Fall during exercise session

    @Jamie, thanks, much appreciated. I actually did meet with a second-opinion surgeon last week--he's the surgeon who replaced my hip eight years ago, but not the hip that was replaced three years ago that's currently having discomfort. I'm going to have a hip x-ray ordered by the surgeon who did...
  11. FraidyCat

    TKR Fall during exercise session

    I neglected to ask that the hip be x-rayed last week at the second-opinion appointment. Probably the surgeon who actually replaced that hip three years ago--the same one who replaced the knee last August who has been so uncommunicative--should order the hip x-ray. I will call his office to see...
  12. FraidyCat

    TKR Fall during exercise session

    I'm at about 8 months postop with the L knee and still not recovered either with stair navigation or walking gait. I feel that if I were to undergo surgery on the R knee as soon as within the next four months--I can't risk recovery that would have its earliest stages in the wintertime, so any...
  13. FraidyCat

    TKR Fall during exercise session

    Thanks for checking in with me. I saw another surgeon--the one who did my first hip replacement 8 yrs ago--on Tuesday, to get his take on the knee surgeon's assessment (based solely on an x-ray) that the non-surgical knee was "gone." (I never succeeded in getting the knee surgeon to respond to...
  14. FraidyCat

    TKR Fall during exercise session

    I've now been going to the new PT for a month and not sure if I'm making progress. The PT's theory is that my slow progress with stair-climbing and being able to walk farther and longer without discomfort is due to weakness of the quad and hamstring muscles. However, in my last few sessions with...
  15. FraidyCat

    TKR Fall during exercise session

    I appreciate the suggestion. However, I tried Tai Chi some years ago and thought I was going to lose my mind with boredom--it's just not my thing. Granted the instructor had too large of a class, so wasn't able to give participants the attention they needed, but in my case I'm not sure it would...
Back
Top Bottom