Recent content by eric.tx

  1. eric.tx

    THR Eric has a bionic hip

    11 days postop. PT graduated me to a cane yesterday, with some limited walking without an aid (a few steps at a time). I think I got a little excited and overdid it yesterday, and I was really feeling it last night :-( Funny how hard it is to un-learn the limp. Sent from my iPhone using...
  2. eric.tx

    THR Eric has a bionic hip

    11 days postop. PT graduated me to a cane yesterday, with some limited walking without an aid (a few steps at a time). I think I got a little excited and overdid it yesterday, and I was really feeling it last night :-( Funny how hard it is to un-learn the limp. Sent from my iPhone using...
  3. eric.tx

    THR Eric has a bionic hip

    Yesterday was my hip's 1-week anniversary! I celebrated by going to a movie with my kids, doing my PT, and taking lots of naps :-) Last night I slept in my bed for the first time. Much better than the recliner or sofa, but it REALLY made me hate sleeping on my back. I tried my left...
  4. eric.tx

    Later afternoon operation?

    the only other issues I had with the later surgery were 1. Missing PT on the day of surgery. Fortunately the overnight nurse was nice enough to get me on my feet around midnight. A little movement, while difficult, REALLY helped me feel better. 2. Next-day pain management. One of the nurses...
  5. eric.tx

    Later afternoon operation?

    You might ask how long you are actually required to be NPO. My surgery was pushed from noon to 2pm last Tuesday the 17th. The good thing is, the OS's assistant called the day before to tell me that because of the late start, I could have a light breakfast before 6AM. I woke up at 5:00, had...
  6. eric.tx

    THR 1 year post-op

    Sorry your first day was rough. I am at day 4, and the first 24 hours were definitely the hardest. Hang in there! Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
  7. eric.tx

    THR I have a new hip

    Welcome to the other side! I am one day ahead of you. Hope everything is going well. Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
  8. eric.tx

    THR Eric has a bionic hip

    Some updates: yesterday (postop day 3) went very well. I woke up in my recliner, and was able to get up, use the bathroom, and make myself some coffee before DW woke up. I took another short walk outside in the morning, and was up for several times during the day for little trips to the...
  9. eric.tx

    THR restrictions after 11 weeks?

    The whole "restrictions" issue seems to cause a lot of confusion. My OS did not put me under any restrictions. He just said I "probably shouldn't try to throw my leg behind my head". However, the nurses and PT's on the recovery ward were trying to enforce all sorts of inconsistent rules on...
  10. eric.tx

    THR 1 year post-op

    Best of luck to you! Three days ago I was right where you are. Now I'm at home, kicking back in a big comfy recliner taking naps whenever I want - every man's dream! Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
  11. eric.tx

    THR Eric has a bionic hip

    @Poppet, OS sent me home on Norco 10/325, 1-2 Q6 prn, and said I could resume 200mg Celebrex at home as well. 1 Norco every 3-4 hours seems to be working well for now. If I take 2 every 6, I'm totally knocked out for about 3 hours, then I wake up stiff and in a lot of pain. The little walks...
  12. eric.tx

    THR Eric has a bionic hip

    Time for my bad Country Western song:"It's 3am and I'm so lonely, and in pain..." ;-) I set a timer on my phone to take a dose of Norco at 12:30 but I didn't hear it go off. Instead I woke up at 2:30 with a pretty stiff achey leg. I took my meds, crutches to the bathroom, then stood and just...
  13. eric.tx

    THR Eric has a bionic hip

    Quick update - things have happened too fast for me to post much, but I was discharged home on crutches less than 48 hours after I rolled out of the OR. Sitting at home now in my big comfy recliner. :-) Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
  14. eric.tx

    THR Eric has a bionic hip

    Well, I went and did it. I arrived at noon yesterday and went straight to preop. They put in my IV, took some blood, put the lovely inflatable puffer socks on my calves, and gave me some pre-op meds. My anesthesiologist and CRNA came by, along with my OS. Then they gave me some meds to relax...
  15. eric.tx

    Obstacle course races?

    My wife has done a couple of these, and I'd love to get to do one with her once I'm back in action. From what I have seen, most of them are not that intense for reasonably fit, active people. Yes, there are some obstacles to climb over and jump down from, but they're usually not long drops...
Back
Top Bottom