Recent content by djacksonsf

  1. djacksonsf

    THR Anterior Approach Walking Guidelines

    Hi there, Posting this in case it's of help to others who may be experiencing similar issues. The issue I mentioned in March got progressively worse, making it really hard to turn over in bed, get out of bed, cough or raise my leg without some kind of pain. It did resolve a bit with walking...
  2. djacksonsf

    THR Anterior Approach Walking Guidelines

    Thank you Layla! I didn't mention it to the surgeon because it wasn't really a factor then. I thought I'd ask if anyone else has had a similar experience before going back to him. I've had no falls or upsets since the appointment, but have been doing some work in the yard; nothing out of the...
  3. djacksonsf

    THR Anterior Approach Walking Guidelines

    Thanks all, The 14-month check up went well. My surgeon said I am cleared to go back to my normal routine without restrictions. That means I can gradually increase hill climbing on my bike (including standing on the pedals if need be), which I'm looking forward to. I am also allowed to go...
  4. djacksonsf

    THR Anterior Approach Walking Guidelines

    Many months later, I'm back to wish you all a Happy New Year. Your support helped so much with my recovery, and I hope you are all doing well! It's been just over a year since my procedure and I feel great. With COVID, my biggest challenge has been getting away from working from home long...
  5. djacksonsf

    THR Anterior Approach Walking Guidelines

    Hi @CricketHip , sorry for not being more specific. By "forum" I meant JRAD. I missed it and wasn't sure whether any information from it was posted anywhere. -D
  6. djacksonsf

    THR Anterior Approach Walking Guidelines

    Hi @CricketHip and @Aline , I’m so sorry for not responding earlier. Something is up with my notifications - I didn’t get a heads up there were new messages. I remembered that @cstinchcomb had a surgical date this month and logged back on to see if that had happened (I was hoping so). @Aline...
  7. djacksonsf

    THR Anterior Approach Walking Guidelines

    Thank you @Clipper! It's helpful to hear about your experience - the pelvic imbalance/altered alignment you describe is something I believe has contributed to a lot of my symptoms, especially as I became more active in the past 6 weeks. I'm slowly getting back to walking more and am pleased...
  8. djacksonsf

    THR Anterior Approach Walking Guidelines

    Thanks @Bfam85 and @FCBayern , I guess the biggest surprise for me is that these symptoms turned out to be tendinitis because the level of disruption they caused was crazy. I'm glad to be on the mend. Just need to figure out the right balance between staying active/gently strengthening and...
  9. djacksonsf

    THR Anterior Approach Walking Guidelines

    Yes indeed @cstinchcomb , because I want to do everything I can to avoid going backwards. I'm driving to a flat area to walk instead of walking the neighborhood. It's so easy to underestimate the impact of swelling due to irritation - whether that's because of LLD or overdoing it. I think...
  10. djacksonsf

    THR Anterior Approach Walking Guidelines

    Hi @Bfam85 , Adding to what your PT said, I think any movement that puts more stress on either hip is problematic, and when I moved to my new neighborhood I had no clue about this because I'd only ever walked in flat areas. Asymmetrical motion - whether caused by LLD or walking on uneven...
  11. djacksonsf

    THR Anterior Approach Walking Guidelines

    Thanks @leejaa and @Bfam85 - meant to say so sooner! I'm feeling a bit better, which is great. Fingers x'd symptoms continue to diminish. I took a short walk on Easter - maybe 2 blocks - and felt a little stiff from all the rest these past few weeks, but no weird sensations or weakness when I...
  12. djacksonsf

    THR Anterior Approach Walking Guidelines

    Thanks @leejaa and @cstinchcomb , @cstinchcomb , I'm so sorry to hear about your postponement, especially with that big of a discrepancy. As soon as things lift, it's going to be important to call right away to get on the schedule. To answer your question, I held off on measuring LLD for a...
  13. djacksonsf

    THR Anterior Approach Walking Guidelines

    Hi @Bfam85 , thank you for your input! Do you mean that adding the heel wedge helped you or that doing that hampered your recovery? I read your page and was also wondering if you had other tightness - IT band, glutes, etc. I've read that LLD - whether structural or functional - can in...
  14. djacksonsf

    THR Anterior Approach Walking Guidelines

    Thank you @cstinchcomb . The roller feels ok and it really helps with the tightness around the knee/IT band and butt. I can try the rolling pin approach I was using before, but the width of the foam roller feels so good. I wonder if some of this is due to leg length, which is still pretty...
  15. djacksonsf

    THR Anterior Approach Walking Guidelines

    Thank you @CricketHip ! I'm starting to foam roll, hoping that loosens things up a bit. When I think of the IT band and some of the other stuff going in, it just seems like things are really tight and nerves are compressed. I tried to loosen them up with walking, but uneven terrain and too...
Back
Top Bottom