Recent content by Dave Robs

  1. D

    Bilateral TKR Bilateral TKR March 5, 2020.

    I thought I’d give the indoor rower a try today.
  2. D

    Bilateral TKR Bilateral TKR March 5, 2020.

    Quick update from last month (May). Knees are getting better incrementally. Cycled a total of 250 miles, a mixture of indoor and outdoor. Had my three month consultation with the surgeon by phone and he doesn’t want to see me until next February.
  3. D

    Bilateral TKR Bilateral TKR March 5, 2020.

    That’s the way. I’m on tippy toes when I stop/start as well, I’m sure as your time on the bike increases so will your confidence.
  4. D

    Bilateral TKR Bilateral TKR March 5, 2020.

    Update @ 7 weeks Pleased that the total miles cycled this week in eight rides is 60.3 at 10.1 mph average. Been off the paracetamol during the day for a couple of days now with just paracetamol and codein at night. Not that it makes much difference. Sleep is a tad better but still difficult...
  5. D

    Bilateral TKR Bilateral TKR March 5, 2020.

    No concerns about stopping, just slow and deliberate. Just gentle stops, looking for safe stopping places that are suitable for starting off again. Reading the road I guess.
  6. D

    Bilateral TKR Bilateral TKR March 5, 2020.

    I forgot to say that the height of the seat of your bike is very important. If it’s not at the correct height it will give you problems.
  7. D

    Bilateral TKR Bilateral TKR March 5, 2020.

    No, once I had built confidence on the turbo trainer concentrating on the pedalling action I was away. I obviously chose a flat route and chose a bike with low gears. Once on the road with the wind behind me I was away, didn’t think about my knees, just how great it was to be out on a bike...
  8. D

    Bilateral TKR Bilateral TKR March 5, 2020.

    Thank you. Yes, the outdoor cycle ride was a milestone. It was spur of the moment really. I have been riding my turbo trainer for a while and had managed to pedal through 360’. I did this by starting off pedalling backwards and when the knee went tight I held the position for 30 seconds...
  9. D

    Bilateral TKR Bilateral TKR March 5, 2020.

    Day 38 ~ first outdoor cycle 3.60 slow miles. :):biking:
  10. D

    Bilateral TKR Bilateral TKR March 5, 2020.

    Day 34 ~ discharged by the physio today. :) :) The physio is happy with the progress made on the turbo trainer, the seat is at it’s normal height, SPD pedals back on and cycling shoes worn. Full 360’ rotations with very little resistance to stop spinning out. Last ride was averaging 40...
  11. D

    Bilateral TKR Bilateral TKR March 5, 2020.

    Our “stay at home order” was given on 23rd March, 13 days after I went out and have diligently complied with the rules specified by our Government and Health departments.
  12. D

    Bilateral TKR Bilateral TKR March 5, 2020.

    Day 26 ~ Sleeping has improved but still walking around at 03:30. Walking up to 0.8 miles every other day with a cane just in case tiredness sets in. Had some new exercises from the physio by post as the local hospital is in lock down. Managed to turn the pedals on the turbo trainer bike...
  13. D

    Bilateral TKR Bilateral TKR March 5, 2020.

    Day 12 ~ better sleep last night but still feeling tired. So I decided today was going to be a slow day. It was great, stayed in bed most of the day, slept, just a few on bed exercises with not too many reps. Back in bed by 21:30 and start again tomorrow. Walking around the house I can manage...
  14. D

    Bilateral TKR Bilateral TKR March 5, 2020.

    Day 0 ~ March 5th 2020. Surgery at 15:00 ish. All went well, a bit of a drama on the destination ward delayed transfer to ward from recovery. Tea and sandwiches, all good. Day 1~ the “golden day” apparently. The day that you can show the physios you can do anything. The nerve block was...
  15. D

    2020 March Musketeers - Are you having knee surgery in March?

    Hello I’m having simultaneous bilateral total knee replacements on 05 March 2020. Excited and terrified in equal measures.
Back
Top Bottom