Recent content by crazyfoxterrier

  1. crazyfoxterrier

    Bay Area THR Recommendations

    Hi all, I had an anterior approach RTHR in April of 2016 in Seattle by Dr. Downer, and it went very smoothly. Unfortunately, my left hip has begun talking to me in a very familiar way, and I'm thinking it may be time to get it done as well. I would love to see Dr. Downer again, but I have...
  2. crazyfoxterrier

    THR crazyfoxterrier's recovery thread

    Thought I would post an update at 7.5 weeks post op. My gait is finally improving, but I still use one crutch when I'm going to be doing much walking. I went back to work as a 2nd grade teacher half days at 6 weeks and full days this past week. Piece of cake - except I learned that I still...
  3. crazyfoxterrier

    THR Déjà Vu: Squirrellymom's Right THR & Her Left THR

    Sounds like you continue to have a fabulous recovery @Squirrellymom! I've been using my THR as an excuse to NOT work in the garden- although my husband doesn't get things done the way I want them to get done so looks like I'm going to have to spend some time out there this weekend...
  4. crazyfoxterrier

    THR Déjà Vu: Squirrellymom's Right THR & Her Left THR

    Just checking in @Squirrellymom. How are you doing at this point? When I saw the doc last week, he said the swelling looks normal and gave me a PT referral for my limping. Got in to the PT the next day - I had been seeing her last year for plantar fasciitis and really liked her. Doing some...
  5. crazyfoxterrier

    Did you go home same day of surgery?

    Hi! Since this thread is still active, I'll post about going home the same day (I did post about it in my recovery thread). I did end up going home the same day. 9:30 am surgery - #3 of 7 for the surgeon that day - and left the hospital about 6:30 pm that same day. Since I was aiming to go...
  6. crazyfoxterrier

    THR Déjà Vu: Squirrellymom's Right THR & Her Left THR

    @Squirrellymom that is an awesome update!! I am at 4 1/2 weeks post op and still have a pronounced limp and the same ole swelling. I called the OS office last week and they thought my swelling sounded like regular post op swelling and I felt better about it... For two days. I'm back to...
  7. crazyfoxterrier

    THR crazyfoxterrier's recovery thread

    OK, another question about post-op progress. I think I am at the point where I feel so good that I am getting impatient and keep questioning whether or not my recovery is progressing as it "should." I've only been able to walk unaided for the last couple of days - starting at exactly 4 weeks...
  8. crazyfoxterrier

    THR crazyfoxterrier's recovery thread

    @squirellymom I love hearing other people's suggestions and experiences! I too think it is interesting how different everybody's Doctor recommendations are. My OS doesn't recommend any PT or doing much of anything other than walking, spinning at 0 resistance or pool walking until after the 8...
  9. crazyfoxterrier

    THR crazyfoxterrier's recovery thread

    Thank you @Jacey for your opinion. I put a call in to my OS today just to be sure. I always thought when people were talking about swelling they meant more puffy and soft so this worried me a bit. I will also refrain from massaging it. @Squirrellymom ive really enjoyed reading your thread...
  10. crazyfoxterrier

    THR crazyfoxterrier's recovery thread

    I've been lurking and reading recovery threads. It's so interesting to see how different everyone's journey is! I'm 4 weeks post op tomorrow. Things are progressing more slowly than I thought they would, but I do see some progress every day. I've been walking with one crutch for about a...
  11. crazyfoxterrier

    THR crazyfoxterrier's recovery thread

    Thanks for checking in @Toddlermom. Still doing well on day 5. The ib and Tylenol works fine. I'm sleeping better than I have in a few months, if you can believe it. I had abdominal surgery 6 weeks before the THR, so between that and worrying about the THR I wasn't sleeping well. I'm now...
  12. crazyfoxterrier

    THR crazyfoxterrier's recovery thread

    I did go home last night after 12 hours in the hospital. Dr Downer does a spinal and other meds to put you to sleep but no general anesthesia. It was great!! Short acting spinal so I was already feeling my legs right after I hit to recovery. I felt totally with-it and good all day other than...
  13. crazyfoxterrier

    Did you go home same day of surgery?

    I am scheduled for a THR April 5th, and am a candidate for same day release. The good news is that means I will be one of the first surgeries of the day, and the dr. said that if at any time you feel like you want to stay the night you can. I have seen some posts talking about going home the...
  14. crazyfoxterrier

    hospital bed?

    I've been reading through some posts and noticed that some people get hospital beds for post-op. I hadn't thought of doing that for my April 5th RTHR surgery. Is it easier to get in and out of? What do you think are the benefits to having one? The one thing I worry a bit about in my bed is...
  15. crazyfoxterrier

    THR without narcotics?

    @Hip Hip Hooray! Thank you for your input!
Back
Top Bottom