Recent content by Coach_HL

  1. Coach_HL

    TKR Coach’s Recovery, 43 yrs old

    I'm probably not saying it correctly, but when I do straight leg raises my extension is +5 vs. 0. My extension is zero when leg is on the ground. So in my mind there is 5 degrees where my quad isn't firing good enough to hold leg at 0 degrees. I assume this will come with time.
  2. Coach_HL

    TKR Coach’s Recovery, 43 yrs old

    Its been awhile since I posted, so I thought I would update my progress for my own sake to help me remember what weeks 4-6 were like during my recovery. Flex continues to improve at five weeks I was 112 passive, 107 active. I have made steady progress each week, knock on wood that this...
  3. Coach_HL

    TKR Coach’s Recovery, 43 yrs old

    4.5 weeks post op, progressing well IMO. Flex is 100-104, continue to gain more functional flexsion each day. Walking for the most part without a cane. Feel blessed the my extension was zero from day one without having to work at it. Can’t imagine having to work on flex and extension...
  4. Coach_HL

    TKR Coach’s Recovery, 43 yrs old

    @NavyGunns thank you for the article, that helps and makes sense. I truly feel like I’m being a “good” patient. I enjoy PT which might place me in the “naughty” category on this site and enjoy doing what PT asks me to do at home which might make me a total outcast. My day to day swelling is...
  5. Coach_HL

    TKR Coach’s Recovery, 43 yrs old

    Question for the group. Is it normal three weeks post op to have continual tightness in the knee throughout the day every day. What I mean by this is my flex is currently at 90 degree range, but everyday it becomes a “battle” through stretching to get it back to this point. Waking up in the...
  6. Coach_HL

    TKR Coach’s Recovery, 43 yrs old

    Update for my recovery. Went back to general dr. Today and received a steroid shot for the allergic rash. That worked well, itching is gone and almost all of the swelling from the reaction is gone. This evening I rode my trainer/rode bike, clipped in and was able to make full rotations with...
  7. Coach_HL

    TKR Coach’s Recovery, 43 yrs old

    @Roy Gardiner my blood work came back and no infection so that is good news. The dr. Had put me on an antibiotic that I was allergic to, so welts and swelling of my lips have been around for past two days. Stopped the antibiotic on Saturday morning, taking Benadryl currently which is slowly...
  8. Coach_HL

    TKR Coach’s Recovery, 43 yrs old

    Roy, I hear what you are saying but this is weird. Never experienced anything like it. I did call my general dr. And spoke with her nurse, she used the word infection more than I cared to hear. Waiting for a call back once she speaks with the doctor.
  9. Coach_HL

    TKR Coach’s Recovery, 43 yrs old

    Flex was 81 degrees today at PT, so I’m making slow and steady progress there. New question or situation for the group, looking for input. A few days ago after sitting in our vehicle for an extended period of time I developed a lump at the top of my butt crack. I would say the size of a...
  10. Coach_HL

    TKR Coach’s Recovery, 43 yrs old

    Roy, even from a mental perspective throwing my leg over the bike and sitting on the seat is good for me mentally. I’m glad I brought it upstairs even to rock back and forth a few times. Flexsion was 77 this morning so I’m making steady progress each PT session.
  11. Coach_HL

    TKR Coach’s Recovery, 43 yrs old

    My bike is in my bedroom, my wife loves it NOT. I appreciate everyone’s words, hate feeling like I’m behind schedule. Yes I know there isn’t a schedule but .....
  12. Coach_HL

    TKR Coach’s Recovery, 43 yrs old

    Roy, I plan to follow your protocol, that was my plan pre surgery. Just waiting for my knee to bend a little more to start on the trainer, it’s waiting for me in my basement. I was hopeful this would have happened by now but it hasn’t. I’m trying to be patient but that isn’t a strength area...
  13. Coach_HL

    TKR Coach’s Recovery, 43 yrs old

    Golfcaddie, like you I was very active, 5000 miles on my bike this year. I really tried to dampen my expectations for recovery based off of reading recovery threads on this site. Tomorrow night, I’m hoping to go to my daughters basketball game. This will be my first excursion outside for...
  14. Coach_HL

    TKR Coach’s Recovery, 43 yrs old

    Long time reader, surgery date was December 5th so I’m approaching the two week mark. I’ve read the suggested articles from other threads. After surgery I my knee was immobilized to help the wound heal and reduce potential bleeding. Ultimately had no more bleeding than normal. As a cyclist...
  15. Coach_HL

    43 years, RTKR in December

    43 years old, active cyclist, surgery date is December 5th.
Back
Top Bottom