Recent content by caridgway

  1. caridgway

    Making the final decision for TKR - question

    I have a similar knee history to yours -- torn meniscus at age 16 and 50 years of knee pain issues; "primitive" surgery in 1981, and final straw when I broke the tibial plateau about 10 years ago. The bone did not heal correctly so I ended up with a severe leg deformity. However, I never...
  2. caridgway

    Supplies for knee replacement, and a couple of questions:

    see my new post -- I meant hassock not hammock. A hammock would definitely be dangerous!!
  3. caridgway

    Supplies for knee replacement, and a couple of questions:

    woops, I meant a hassock not a hammock! Sorry about that.
  4. caridgway

    Supplies for knee replacement, and a couple of questions:

    This is a small thing, but I bought an inexpensive hammock at Ross' and used it constantly with pillows to elevate my legs, and works well for icing. After 5 months, I'm still using it on and off during the day. I'm so glad I had this surgery. I am walking about 40 minutes every day and...
  5. caridgway

    Question regarding NSAIDs

    Yes, NSAIDS carry a risk for internal bleeding. I took 1 ibuprofen at night for many years, then about 1-1/2 years ago, I had a shoulder injury and was prescribed a triple dose before starting PT. Well, within 5 days I was seriously ill and ended up with severe anemia requiring an immediate...
  6. caridgway

    14 Days Till My Surgery. What do you think?

    What a beautiful love story you and your husband share -- its like a Hallmark movie! I have a tendency to say whatever pops into my head without thinking first -- a flaw that I'm trying to work on in my "advancing" years and making progress on. If your mother is like me, she blurts...
  7. caridgway

    Being too young

    Wow, this is exactly what went through my mind -- its really none of their business, especially if they are criticizing your and your doctor's decisions. You sound like you have given this a lot of thought and have tried every other option available to you -- I believe surgery should almost...
  8. caridgway

    39 more Days...WOW!!!

    re: partial vs. total -- This is something your OS should advise you on. The partial could buy you some time and the recovery is much easier than a TKR. Considering your age, that could be a good thing. But if its only going to get you an extra few years because your knee deterioration...
  9. caridgway

    Having difficult time accepting TKR surgery

    You have already received some great advice here from people who have been through the surgery. I really resisted having a TKR even though I had a severe deformity and so many limitations. My doctor kept telling me for about 10 years that I wasn't ready, to put off the surgery as long as...
  10. caridgway

    My insurance says they pay for rehabilitation facility...don't want it !

    I totally agree with gazelle's advice. My OS advises against going to a rehab facility because of the greater risk of infection. But you need to have someone at home 24/7 the first 3 - 4 days. I had a wound nurse come to my home the first 2 weeks, and a PT for the first month (but I am...
  11. caridgway

    Future problem for me?

    No, flash85, I don't think anyone on this site will think any less of you for your decision. TKR is a huge surgery with a long and grueling recovery (for most patients). I believe that you have to trust your own instinct based on your personal health challenges. As you say, things may...
  12. caridgway

    Questions regarding preparing for pre & post surgery

    My doctor did want me to take iron before surgery, then stop while I was taking narcotics (which WILL cause constipation), then resume after stopping narcotics for 2 - 3 months. He recommended a kind of iron called "easy iron" which I ordered on-line -- said that many patients told him that...
  13. caridgway

    Pre surgery class. What do you learn?

    My health clinic used to hold such classes but discontinued them so I don't know if they would be helpful or not. However, the 10 pages of instructions from my doctor were somewhat helpful for pre-surgery and immediate post-surgery info, but did not tell me much about anything one month out...
  14. caridgway

    Pre Op Testing. What do they test for?

    i had to have a complete blood workup, EKG, physical by primary doctor within 30 days of surgery. Then a few days before surgery, another blood test and urine sample. It was very grueling and stressful. My EKG came out abnormal so I had to also have a stress test which showed a slightly...
  15. caridgway

    what helping gizmos should one buy after surgery?

    tiredwife gave you a lot of great ideas. Right before surgery, I bought a hassock at Ross' to put my feet up on, and 4 months after surgery, I'm still using it often. Also, I premade and froze soups and stews. Didn't feel much like eating for the first few weeks, so I lived on the soup...
Back
Top Bottom