Recent content by buckyswider

  1. B

    Bilateral TKR Get a *good* recliner (if you can!)

    Oh, I definitely checked the used market. Nothing really that would've passed the "style" test. And truth be told, I don't know what I would've done it something had- I would definitely need an in-person test drive to see how well it did in the sleep position, BUT the big problem would be...
  2. B

    Bilateral TKR Get a *good* recliner (if you can!)

    Thanks for the reply! I was doing all this on day 4! Worked pretty well up until about day 28... Yep, righty is the gold standard. I wish lefty would play along! And interestingly, I happened to walk past a full length mirror and yes, righty is VERY NOTICABLY much more swollen than lefty...
  3. B

    Bilateral TKR Get a *good* recliner (if you can!)

    Thanks Jockette! Interesting take. I picked a guy who's done 6,000+ of these, but possibly every single person's limbs are different and it took some jiggering with lefty that helped him get righty more easily. I should've asked him which he did first. I know they were both opened at the...
  4. B

    Bilateral TKR Get a *good* recliner (if you can!)

    Thanks for the encouragement Susie! And timely it was, as I just let out what probably was my loudest scream ever while settling down into the recliner for an icing session. Guess I'll just grin and bear it for the time being!
  5. B

    Bilateral TKR Get a *good* recliner (if you can!)

    Hi all, well, I got a 'wife approved' recliner. It's...OK. It stays flat, but it's very hard, and has "wings" on the backrest which contribute to sleep discomfort. But it also keep my feet higher than the prior, which is a good thing. Hopefully within a couple days I'll get used to the...
  6. B

    Bilateral TKR Get a *good* recliner (if you can!)

    You underestimate the power of sleep deprived desperation! :) But the chair does in fact let you raise the footrest so the legs are not bent at all. I made sure of that when I checked it out yesterday. Will research medical rentals- I didn't think they did stuff like that...
  7. B

    Bilateral TKR Get a *good* recliner (if you can!)

    Sigh. 3 stores. Nothing in (or not too much leadtime) stock that met the criteria of the "interior designer". I do have a great pick for anyone else looking though. Raymour & Flanigan had this GREAT "Zero gravity" recliner that did great with lie-flat AND elevation of the feet/knees...
  8. B

    Bilateral TKR Get a *good* recliner (if you can!)

    Thanks! Great point. Yep, I'm considering that calculus. I guess the worst case scenario is that I get no better rest but a nice new recliner :)
  9. B

    Bilateral TKR Get a *good* recliner (if you can!)

    Thanks j! I'm further along than I anticipated, but can still see I have quite a ways to go. La-Z-Boy would be my preference also, but I guess because of the pandemic they're really backed up. Like 3-4 months delivery time. So I'll see what's available that I can get quickly.
  10. B

    Bilateral TKR Get a *good* recliner (if you can!)

    Hi all, finally getting some time to go back and read other threads as well as review mine. First off, bilateral cementless tkr was 1/22/2021. Been doing more activity the last couple days than I would have liked due to snowfall. Hey, a snow thrower is nothing more than a powered walker...
  11. B

    Bilateral TKR Get a *good* recliner (if you can!)

    that is the sixty-four-thousand-dollar question! I've been trying to figure that out myself. Possibly as Sharon and Jockette have speculated, it's the "cocoon" effect that makes us more comfortable. When I'm able to lie "flat" on my cheap recliner (by either clasping my hands behind my head...
  12. B

    Bilateral TKR Get a *good* recliner (if you can!)

    I'm convinced that if I was a little taller or shorter, (or the chair was :) ) , it would work for me. I'm still not sure if bending the knees in this manner is a bad thing. But I tried with the memory foam cushion last night. And while more comfortable, with my knees in the "fully extended"...
  13. B

    Bilateral TKR Get a *good* recliner (if you can!)

    Try #1 of the zero-gravity lawn chair was no good. The "natural" position of these has the knees bent at about a 20 degree angle. Maybe I'm wrong, but I was warned multiple times about not using pillows/support under my knees while sleeping because that promotes improper healing, and I figure...
  14. B

    Bilateral TKR Get a *good* recliner (if you can!)

    Thanks for the advice all! I wish we had a spare bedroom so I could get an adjustable frame, but that's my home office :(. And thanks for the Sam's club tip- there's only one in stock in my region, and that's ultra modern, and it wouldn't be allowed :) long-term. Sigh. And yeah, that gap can...
  15. B

    TKR TKR on bowlegs

    I was in the same situation- now 19 days post-op. I learned a lot in the first 24 hours about this! In the first ~12 hours post surgery, the nurses put ice packs on the top of my knees only. Well, trying to sleep that first night, I couldn't sleep because of the excruciating pain- not in the...
Back
Top Bottom