Recent content by bikerchick1958

  1. bikerchick1958

    TKR Cyclist - Managing My Recovery

    I mostly had my appetite back by six weeks, but not completely. For me it was related to the pain meds. A few days after I stopped taking them completely, my appetite was almost what it was before. What I have noticed is things that I ate regularly during early recovery now mostly taste really...
  2. bikerchick1958

    TKR Cyclist - Managing My Recovery

    I'm so happy for you that you're riding after only 6 weeks. That's a really good recovery. Doesn't it feel great to get back on your bike? I also did those exercises where you lie on your stomach. It was incredibly painful and I hated having my face smushed into the table. I hope it's...
  3. bikerchick1958

    TKR Poor appetite after TKR

    I lost my appetite for about 5 weeks, maybe longer. I wasn't careful about eating at least something healthy every day, and I ended up feeling really exhausted. I ate pizza one day and felt amazingly better about an hour later. Try to find something you really like, hopefully something with...
  4. bikerchick1958

    MUA MUA at 5 months

    Oh, I hope you're right. I feel like I've gone backwards - I have to think very carefully again about walking properly and my once perfect extension is definitely not where it was. I'm starting to feel hopeless again, like I did last winter. I have to remind myself that things got better last...
  5. bikerchick1958

    MUA MUA at 5 months

    Had my MUA on Monday. When I woke up, I was amazed at how much my knee was bending. Now I'm right back to where I was before. I've been using a CPM about 5 hours a day, but nothing seems to be improving. Is this normal? I feel as frustrated as I did last winter. I thought I was going to be...
  6. bikerchick1958

    TKR Cyclist - Managing My Recovery

    Hmm, still not sure how to reply to a specific message. Roy, I continued in pt until late April at which point the therapist said that she thought I was just stuck. I've done lots of riding with the pedals set higher than is comfortable. I also did this immensely uncomfortable thing where I...
  7. bikerchick1958

    TKR Cyclist - Managing My Recovery

    Don't worry too much about your flexation right now. You're only 3 weeks out and your knee is probably swollen up like a balloon. At that point I think I only had about 50 degrees. I still get odd cramps when I ride. Lots less than at first, but the muscle on the outside of my lower leg is...
  8. bikerchick1958

    MUA MUA at 5 months

    I can't wait to get it done. My husband is looking forward to it too so I don't get so sore when I ride.
  9. bikerchick1958

    TKR Cyclist - Managing My Recovery

    Here's a link to the shorteners. They come as a pair. https://www.upgradecycle.com/ride2-crank-arm-shorteners.html?utm_source=googlepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=19136088729&utm_content=pla&gclid=CI-s-Zjqr7cCFelAMgodxDcAgQ They aren't cheap, but they saved my spring. My social life revolves...
  10. bikerchick1958

    TKR Very discouraged, 2 weeks postop

    My surgeon doesn't even consider MUA until at least 3 months out. He says you can't tell anything until the swelling has gone down. I'm having mine done 5 months after the surgery. At this point we can pretty safely say that the flexation is truly a problem and not just due to swelling.
  11. bikerchick1958

    TKR Cyclist - Managing My Recovery

    It's been over 4 months since my surgery and I still can't do a full rotation on my bike. But not biking isn't an option for me. I found crank arm adjusters on the internet which make the rotation shorter. It isn't ideal, but I can still ride 50-60 miles at a time. Hills are more of a...
  12. bikerchick1958

    MUA MUA at 5 months

    My current ROM is around 95 - 100 degrees. My extension is just fine at 0 degrees.
  13. bikerchick1958

    TKR Mechanical feeling?

    I had major knee surgery about 30 years ago, and the numbness never went completely away. The area continued to get smaller for all that time, though. Also the weird thing about touching it in one place and feeling it in another went away about about 20 years. So strange that the nerves were...
  14. bikerchick1958

    MUA MUA at 5 months

    I have a MUA scheduled for June 10, 5 months after I had my knee replaced. I'm not sure what to expect because everything I've read here is from people who had it done early on. My OS like to wait until later when the swelling has gone down. He isn't very good at answering questions - he's...
  15. bikerchick1958

    TKR Home from the hospital

    I had lots of lower back pain until just the last few days. I think it was due to walking oddly, plus my surgery leg felt so much longer than my right leg. I started going to a chiropractor about 5 weeks after my surgery and continued going twice a week until this week (12 weeks post-op)...
Back
Top Bottom