Recent content by Bikeknit

  1. Bikeknit

    THR Woodstockhip’s Recovery Thread

    Have to stop in since we shared a surgery date on your other hip (I think). Though mine was a knee. I found knees work better in pairs. Probably the same with hips. Hope you are doing well.
  2. Bikeknit

    TKR Advice for Round 2

    I switched physical therapists to someone less aggressive and more communicative for the second knee. I had also learned that heavier duty pain meds made me nauseous so I skipped those and started with tramadol. I did more prehab exercises for the second knee. And did less intense pt...
  3. Bikeknit

    TKR Bikeknit's Recovery Thread

    Okay, I can't resist an update a couple of days after knee 2's one year anniversary. We just spent 2 nights in Petit Jean State Park in Arkansas, mostly hiking, mostly on trails marked medium to difficult, without much difficulty! Though with a hiking stick. Six miles of uneven trails one day...
  4. Bikeknit

    TKR Hello :)

    I'm so sorry that this happened to you. I had 2 postponements, once because my primary care doctor saw something that concerned her in my blood work and then because nonessential surgeries were shut down because of covid. It is very frustrating! Here's hoping they get you on the schedule soon.
  5. Bikeknit

    TKR When do you know?

    I think, but am not sure, that in the U.S. doctor's have to demonstrate that they have tried conservative treatment (physical therapy, cortisone injections, ...) before knee replacement to satisfy insurance companies. So those of those who wait til the damage is extensive before seeking help...
  6. Bikeknit

    TKR LTKR on June 23

    As to getting up from the floor. My first knee is exactly one year older than yours so I'm a lot more healed than you. For now you probably need to use something or someone strong and steady to pull yourself up. Don't think I'd recommend my current method yet but I now do this maneuver next...
  7. Bikeknit

    TKR Bikeknit's Recovery Thread

    Thanks @Jamie. I thought as much but nice to get confirmation.
  8. Bikeknit

    TKR Bikeknit's Recovery Thread

    Grinding sound/sensation. Okay, I'm back with a question. My right knee (9.5 months old) makes a sound, though it may just be a sensation when I get up from sitting on something lower than the average chair. I would describe it as a grinding or crunchy sound. It doesn't hurt at all but it's...
  9. Bikeknit

    TKR Bikeknit's Recovery Thread

    Knee 1 is at one year. Knee 2 at 9 months. This will be my final update on what has been a pretty good recovery as there is very little left to say. I will pop back in if something changes. All is good. For the most part I do what I want and don't think much about my knees. I notice that...
  10. Bikeknit

    TKR 8 months post op still minor pain and swelling

    @rick*j Add me to the list of people who took a full year before swelling after exercise reduced to near zero. Ditto on clicking and stiffness. My second knee resolved faster, which just shows how variable the recovery can be. I'm delighted with my new knees but like you worried for many...
  11. Bikeknit

    TKR Flutter1’s BoneSmart Success

    Related to hip and other pains after TKR, though your hip is not my hip, here's my experience. I also had hip pain in the first several months post knee surgery. I thought, "oh no, here I go again, now with arthritis in my hip". Fortunately, as my knees healed, my gait must have improved as my...
  12. Bikeknit

    MUA A little worried

    Some of us swell more than others. Some knees swell more than others (my first knee stayed swollen much longer than my second one.). I was lectured about not working hard enough when my first knee wasn't where they wanted it. The truth is I was working too hard. My second and kinder...
  13. Bikeknit

    TKR Do I need knee surgery?

    If I were you I'd talk this over with your primary care doctor. Questions to consider: What other health issues do you have and how much would they be likely to affect your surgery outcome? Are your knee issues stopping you from doing things you want to do? How important are those activities...
  14. Bikeknit

    MUA A little worried

    Just a note about the numb spot on your knee. We all have that as the surgeon has to cut and move nerves to get to your knee. Your feeling will come back over some time, at least partially, but at nearly a year on my left knee, I still have a numb area. It scared me so much when I discovered...
  15. Bikeknit

    TKR good leg feels worse than bad leg this morning....

    I also had 2 knees done, 3 months apart. Once you've got the doc's assessment of just how bad that other knee is you can make a better decision about how to handle timing 1 or 2 surgeries. My knees did a seesaw thing related to pain and disfunction. I think when knee 1 hurt a lot I'd depend...
Back
Top Bottom