Recent content by badhipinak

  1. badhipinak

    Just got the bad news. Scared and feel too young

    Like some others I don't come here often anymore... I waited until I was 53 to have my THR (bad hip due to car accident at 16). Now I am 11 months post op and except for the scar don't even realize I have a new hip. Every day you delay is a day you won't be living this finite thing we call...
  2. badhipinak

    Have a surgery date but still talking myself out of it.....

    Baybee, 9 months ago I was in your exact same position. I could get around pretty good. I limped, but mostly in the afternoons. My range of motion was decreasing though, and I was starting to eat Ibuprophin like they were candy. (not really but I did take allot of them). I could tell this...
  3. badhipinak

    Using NSAIDs or other meds to delay surgery

    Woody I was just like you. Early 50's was in generally very good shape for my age. I was up to Ibuprophin 3X per day pre-op. I am 8 weeks post op now. No pain, and I've lost 10 pounds. I'm back to doing all the things I used to like to do. I can walk miles a day, and do physical tasks around...
  4. badhipinak

    Seattle Surgeon recommendations for THR?

    I had my left hip done by Dr Barrett in Renton Wa. He is a great surgeon, and just as important he has a great team. I would highly recommend him and Valley Medical Center in Renton. He does allot of hips, thats a very good thing. The week he did mine he did 13 Anterior Approach THR's. I think...
  5. badhipinak

    A 2hr flight back home post THR - any advice?

    Janet, I actually recently went through this, and being from Alaska I am familiar with smaller aircraft. At 10 days post op I was able to walk around the airport unassisted, no cane. That is quite a distance in a big airport like Seattle Washington. Getting on to and off a light aircraft will...
  6. badhipinak

    THR Kevins LTHR recovery

    OK Hippies This is my week 5 update. This will probably wrap it up for me. The goal of this thread now is for others, so that they can come here, search the recovery threads and try to get an idea of how their recovery might go. I have been fortunate through this. I would caution readers that my...
  7. badhipinak

    THR Kevins LTHR recovery

    Thanks very much! I didn't know if I am ahead or behind the norm. What I do know is today is four weeks exactly after surgery. After I did the mile on the tread mill last night I was thinking that I might wake up with pain or swelling this morning, but I was incorrect; everything is still...
  8. badhipinak

    THR Kevins LTHR recovery

    well, I am TOO happy today!!! Today I am four weeks post op minus one day. Today I sat indian style for the first time in several years! (fully bad leg down indian style) Today I crossed my bad leg underneath my good leg and was able to sit on it for the first time that I can remember! Today...
  9. badhipinak

    THR Kevins LTHR recovery

    Here it goes, three weeks post OP. Life has resumed to a somewhat "normal" state. I can walk without a limp. I can tie my shoes. I can walk around the store, and park at the back of the parking lot. My incision is healed, and feels a little rough or lumpy. That area of my hip is still a bit...
  10. badhipinak

    THR Kevins LTHR recovery

    Thanks very much @Getnfit Well, today is 2 weeks plus 2 days post op. I am back home in Alaska and my hip is Fantastic!!! I noticed that the swelling all seemed to go away over a one or two day period, leaving a nasty bruise looking thing on me left knee. I have no clue why this happened but...
  11. badhipinak

    How long does it really take to get back to work?

    I am 2 weeks and 2 days out from a THR I could work from home just fine. I could not go back to an office environment yet, but sitting at my desk is fine. What I have found is that I cannot sit or stay in any one place or position for long. Getting up, walking, stretching helps allot.
  12. badhipinak

    Surgeon experience?

    My hip surgeon did 13 hips the week he did mine. He did over 400 last year. He said my case was "unremarkable" I like unremarkable!
  13. badhipinak

    How bad was your range of motion pre surgery?

    Prior to surgery I had gotten to the point where putting on socks or tying my left shoe resulted in in swear words. 2 weeks post op I can once again put on socks. Haven't tried tying shoes yet.
  14. badhipinak

    Undecided

    I was in the exact same situation as you. I could get around fine, but it was painful, and I had lost my range of motion to the point where I could barely put on socks and tie my shoes. Like you i also am at a point where employment, and financially this is a good time to have a hip done. BTW, I...
  15. badhipinak

    THR Kevins LTHR recovery

    Thanks very much I hope the best for your recovery as well, and be careful feeding those deer!
Back
Top Bottom