Recent content by anna127

  1. A

    THR Improving range of motion (rotation)

    Thank you Jamie for the articles :) It's encouraging to hear that I may just be jumping the gun a bit by worrying about my progress this early on. I definitely limped around a long time before my replacement (almost 20 years, and the majority of my life). All that time it's been very stiff, with...
  2. A

    THR Improving range of motion (rotation)

    hello! I had my left hip replaced about 4 months ago and it is doing great. I'm so happy to have it - very little pain and I'm able to walk pretty much as long as I want to. I have a question about improving range of motion - I've read that the progress made in about the first year post-op is...
  3. A

    THR Annalise's New Hip!

    Thought I'd upload a picture of the 'angle blade plate' that's been in my hip for the last 15 or so years. Picked it up from the hospital's pathology lab - it's surprisingly heavy! Also today I got to see a radiograph for the first time of my brand new shiny hip in situ - out with the old, in...
  4. A

    THR Annalise's New Hip!

    Thanks @bottomshollow - I sort of figured I'd just have to tough it out! Luckily it's already starting to get better. Talk about bad timing...
  5. A

    THR Annalise's New Hip!

    So, it's been at least 2 years since I've had a cold, so of course I get one now, while I'm recovering. It's not that horrible, but it's making me a bit more dopey than it normally would - probably the pain meds have more of an effect while I'm down or something. Anyway, is this something I...
  6. A

    THR Annalise's New Hip!

    That really is interesting! I really like like stuff like that. I bet there's been a whole progression of styles of all the hardware. It's amazing to think of how tiny changes in the shape or material of these implants can have such a significant effect on how well they function.
  7. A

    THR Annalise's New Hip!

    @Josephine the scenario you described is pretty much exactly how mine played out. Unfortunately for me it was too late to avoid ischemia, but now I'm just happy to have my new hip! What is the A/O system? Here's a picture of my long bone screws that I dug out of my jewelry box this morning :D
  8. A

    THR Annalise's New Hip!

    @fulafoto, from what I've heard if the epiphysis can be pinned before it completely breaks off the hip can easily be normal from then on. Unfortunately mine broke completely off so it was not so great of a prognosis. @Josephine here are some radiographs showing my hardware. The pins in the...
  9. A

    THR Annalise's New Hip!

    @Josephine thanks for that - I'll definitely follow that advice :) @fulafoto: well it's kind of a long story :) pins were put in to correct the initial fracture, then about a year and a half later they realized that avascular necrosis has set in. They removed the pins to see if maybe the blood...
  10. A

    THR Annalise's New Hip!

    I want to report that elevating and almost constant icing has really worked for getting the swelling to go down. My leg's almost its normal size again! :P
  11. A

    THR Annalise's New Hip!

    @lablawrence congratulations on getting through your surgery! It sounds like you're on the same drug I was :) I thought it worked really well. A couple of the early days they gave me an additional oral med when I needed it for breakthrough pain in addition to the long lasting Percocet. I got off...
  12. A

    THR Annalise's New Hip!

    Thanks Bill! I noticed in your signature that your problems started as a slipped capital femoral epiphysis as a child - that's exactly how my hip issues started too. It looks like yours lasted a lot longer than mine before now needing a hip replacement :)
  13. A

    THR Annalise's New Hip!

    Thanks! It's good to hear that I'm not the only one with a giant edema leg lol! @Stripey - thanks for the thoughts - I remember seeing that you were on June 10th too but it wasn't until today that I finally got a chance to check in on bonesmart! I really don't know how it's possible to have...
  14. A

    THR Annalise's New Hip!

    I made it! Surgery was June 10th in the afternoon and I left the hospital Friday morning (the 13th). My surgery was a left total hip replacement with hardware removal from my previous surgeries. My surgeon was a bit concerned before the procedure that the femur would fracture during the...
  15. A

    Recovery Timeline

    Oh cool! Yeah - I find myself wondering about how my own surgery will go as I sit through my anesthesia and surgery lectures. I'm going to have a list of questions for the anesthesiologist and my surgeon when I see them on the big day. Hopefully I'm not too much of a pain! :heehee:
Back
Top Bottom