Recent content by Adam W

  1. Adam W

    THR Dual mobility acetabular cup vs traditional implant #1

    Checking in 3.5 years after my THA and all is well. I enjoy skiing, dancing, and swimming as much as ever.
  2. Adam W

    THR Dual mobility acetabular cup vs traditional implant #1

    I'm delighted with the prosthesis and with Dr. Stolarski's work. Please give him my regards. I have never felt any pain. The unit has never felt as though it's going to pull out. No squeaking, and I don't think it's likely with the ceramic on plastic mechanism. My podiatrist noted that I have...
  3. Adam W

    THR Dual mobility acetabular cup vs traditional implant #1

    I went skiing yesterday and I could not tell my artificial hip from the original. I had numbness in my pinky and ring fingers on both hands for four months after the THA, presumably a result of the two months I spent on crutches before the surgery. The numbness subsided on its own, though it...
  4. Adam W

    THR Dual mobility acetabular cup vs traditional implant #1

    I met with my surgeon this morning and he confirmed that he installed a dual mobility cup. He also said that given what he saw when he opened up my hip that it's what he would have chosen had I left the decision completely up to him. Made it home 8 hours ago. Took a long nap, feeling good...
  5. Adam W

    THR Dual mobility acetabular cup vs traditional implant #1

    Surgery went well. I've taken a short trip with a walker and will try another soon. I expect to be released tomorrow afternoon. The hospital is comfortable and has WiFi. The only downside is liquid meals so far.
  6. Adam W

    THR Dual mobility acetabular cup vs traditional implant #1

    Good luck, @Horseshoe ! I understand that dual mobility is modern in the US only because the FDA approved it relatively recently. It was invented in France in the '70s and has been used there for a while. The devices keep improving, which I presume is why we don't have good long-term data on...
  7. Adam W

    THR Dual mobility acetabular cup vs traditional implant #1

    I'm going with the dual mobility cup, the Biomet G7, as my preferred option. I've told my surgeon, though, that if he has any difficulty with placement I'd also be happy with a traditional prosthetic. They've asked me to report to the hospital at 7am. At least I won't be hungry for too long!
  8. Adam W

    THR Dual mobility acetabular cup vs traditional implant #1

    Thanks @Josephine ! I understand that I might be better off letting the surgeon decide, but I appreciate his giving me the choice. He knows infinitely more about the surgery, but I know more about my lifestyle and risk tolerance.
  9. Adam W

    THR Dual mobility acetabular cup vs traditional implant #1

    @Zelda, I'm OK with the lack of long-term data. I've been an early adopter in other areas of my life, sometimes but not always with good results. I expect it will be good for at least 10 years. Those rate to be the most active amongst those I have remaining. Technology will have advanced in a...
  10. Adam W

    THR Dual mobility acetabular cup vs traditional implant #1

    I'm a 56-year-old male in good heath and an avid skier. I'm 6'1" and weigh 150 lbs. I retired from my career as a software engineer a couple of years ago and now ski four or five days a week during the winter. I hope to resume a similar schedule! At the end of March I fell skiing and shattered...
  11. Adam W

    2016 June Sunbeams - Are you having hip surgery in June?

    I'll have a THA on Wednesday June 22. It will be my first. I fell skiing at the end of March and shattered my femoral neck. I had surgery the same day but it's not healing due to high displacement non-union.
Back
Top Bottom