Recent content by 10spro

  1. 10spro

    THR 10spro's Recovery Thread

    UPDATE 3 MONTHS POST-OP: I feel like I just experienced some right of passage, having gone through my first airport metal detector with the new hip. I walked right through, no issue at all, didn't really even think about it until I was sitting at the gate, then realized I did that with no...
  2. 10spro

    THR 10spro's Recovery Thread

    Here's the update on tennis. I went out a couple days ago for just an easy hit, about 45 minutes with 2 breaks. It was not "playing tennis" but rather volleying balls that were hit to me, and a few groundstrokes. I was very uncomfortable having to move even one step, so I didn't. I have no joint...
  3. 10spro

    THR 10spro's Recovery Thread

    I'm at 9 weeks now and still the most I've done in a day is 5,000 steps, usually it's more like 3,500. I did read on this forum that folks were already doing 3 miles at 4 weeks. I am taking it slower until I get to 12 weeks.
  4. 10spro

    THR 10spro's Recovery Thread

    Nobody really talks about the scar. I had trouble with my incision from the beginning. The drainage was supposed to stop after 2 weeks but mine took 3 weeks. And then it just wouldn't stop itching. I still think it was some reaction to something but the doctor never seemed too concerned. It...
  5. 10spro

    THR 10spro's Recovery Thread

    9 WEEKS POST-OP: Finally slept comfortably on my surgery side. Am going to try easy golf tomorrow and a few hits on the tennis court, nothing strenuous, decided to wait the full 3 months before doing sports. It's still a struggle to put on socks and shoes but am getting closer. Rehab focus on...
  6. 10spro

    THR Right THR 12th June. Mobility question

    I have a recumbent bike at home that I wanted to try, but my new PT guy says an upright bike is recommended for hippies, so I haven't done it yet. That's amazing you're getting 4500 steps a day. I'm still averaging about 3000 a day, and every so often I'll do a few steps over 4000.
  7. 10spro

    THR Right THR 12th June. Mobility question

    @Lumpyloo2 Congratulations on your 4-week milestone. I am also a June Sunbeam, a couple weeks ahead of you, also had posterior approach. I just passed my 6-week milestone, but have decided to take the conservative track until 8 weeks. All of my daily activities are getting easier, but I do...
  8. 10spro

    THR Inflexible

    @Jaspnut I'm a week ahead of you, my LTHR was 6/2/23, and am a few years older. I have spent a lot of time and energy during my recovery thus far learning how to walk again, specifically because my left knee wants to turn inward. It is mentally exhausting, but with every step I take, I am...
  9. 10spro

    THR 10spro's Recovery Thread

    6 WEEKS POST-OP: Lots of good recovery happening now. I've been spending a lot of time learning how to walk properly. I switched to a new Physical Therapist who is very focused on posture and flexibility, both of which have been sorely neglected in the year leading up to surgery. My stamina has...
  10. 10spro

    THR THR-Three Weeks Out

    I'm 6 weeks out and every so often have groin pain. With the encouragement of this forum, I politely declined the Physical Therapist when they gave me new exercises that made it hurt. I'm confident it will resolve over time, or once I'm stronger, I can address that area specifically.
  11. 10spro

    THR 10spro's Recovery Thread

    4 WEEKS POST-OP: Met with the surgeon today for my one month check-up. New x-ray shows everything is good, walking is proper with near perfect gait, overall a bit ahead of schedule. Thanks to everyone here who said quality over quantity, so I am ignoring the number of steps and just focusing on...
  12. 10spro

    THR 10spro's Recovery Thread

    DAY 21 UPDATE: So hard to believe it was 3 weeks ago today that I was just waking up from surgery with a shiny new hip and no idea of the challenges ahead. Definitely this last week there has been significant improvement. I dumped the walker, tried a cane but never really did feel secure, but am...
  13. 10spro

    THR 10spro's Recovery Thread

    DAY 14 UPDATE: Still with walker at the 2 week mark, but going without more often. Ventured out to the mailbox and down the street the last 2 nights, finally put my Apple watch on, the Health app said yesterday it counted 1,079 steps. Did not do that on purpose, just from walking laps in the...
  14. 10spro

    THR 10spro's Recovery Thread

    Very frustrated with the level of care. The surgeon prescribes home health care, which is great, but it's that agency who decides the actual person that comes. Every one of my questions so far that I directed to the surgeon is redirected to home health care. I will take it up with the agency...
  15. 10spro

    THR 10spro's Recovery Thread

    DAY 10 UPDATE: You guys can appreciate this so much more than my friends or family. I was standing next to my walker, got distracted with the phone, finished the call and then turned to go into the other room. I got about 8 steps when I realized I did not bring the walker. It took me a minute...
Back
Top Bottom