TKR My RTKR journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
LCR...at 6 mo. This is just my my opinion, but I believe that after the initial recovery from the surgery trauma, pain and swelling are trying to tell us something.. pain must be investigated as a revision might be needed. Also swelling might mean overuse or misuse. You might try keeping a chart of you swelling what you were doing that day and for how long. Ice and a simple change of activities might be all that is needed instead of Celebrex. The same for Aleve...try the same for this and maybe you will only we'd one occasionally, not everyday..Hope this helps

Swelling can last up to a year, based on articles I have read on this site. Swelling causes stiffness in different degrees. I have had NO swelling when i am on Celebrex. At six months I am very active, no limitations, no pain. I golf, lap swim, and have a very demanding job and family life. I don't believe that swelling should stop any of it. It's great to have my life back! I will be asking my doctor to refill th Celebrex.

Great thread!

My questions are: is it unwise to continue a cox-2 inhibitor like Celebrex while taking an NSAID? (I plan on resuming 2 Aleve BID). If so, how many here who've been able to wean off opioids have found that an NSAID works better for them than a cox-2 inhibitor? ... I suspect that if I can begin to manage my pain with non-narcotic meds, I can more quickly wean off the Norco. I also have some topical NSAID (Flector, which is generic Voltaren) patches. Not that I MUST get off opioids, but I'd like to if I can.

I LOVED Celebrex when I took it for my Arthritis. I took it for almost 10 years without problems, although I never took it with other NSAIDs, just tylenol. Then 4 years ago I had Weight Loss Surgery, and Celebrex was one of the NOT EVER AGAIN FOR life drugs, including all NSAIDs (even then topical voltaren). SO now I use ultram and tylenol for pain management.

I would be sure to talk to your Dr. about mixing Celebrex with Aleve, or any other NSAIDs, JUST to be sure!

My question for the members: has anyone been on Celebrex long term? Have they experienced any heart related symptoms that have been related to the drug's long term use? I want to convince my doctor to provide me with refills of Celebrex.

I was on Celebrex for 10 years, for my PA. I did have a heart murmur detected during that time but there is no way to say for sure if it was always there and just unnoticed or if it developed because of the Celebrex. (P.S. I was on 1 pill twice a day for the last 5 years of treatment.) I stopped taking it when I had gastric bypass surgery and it was on the banned for life list, not becuase of the heart issues, but because of the gastric issues and my new "rerouted, and Blind" anatomy.

It is NOT recommended to combine Celebrex and any other NSAID - aspirin, Aleve, Advil, Motrin. If you think you need to do so, it should be discussed with your GP.

I discontinued the Celebrex yesterday and went back to Aleve. Had horrible heartburn and was about to switch back--when I checked my week-long pillbox and found I'd forgotten to stock the nighttime compartments with Dexilant (my PPI). So I took a Dexilant, then my nighttime Aleve, and no problem! BTW, isn't Ultram (which is tramadol) also an NSAID, albeit a more potent one? My husband says that anti-inflammatories are sort of like PPIs for GERD and antidepressants--each works differently for different patients, but you can't predict without trial and (hopefully not) error.

Tramadol is a "narcotic-like" pain reliever....not an NSAID. It is true that the various types of NSAIDs work differently on different people. Some people swear by Aleve; others think Advil is the greatest. Sometimes you have to experiment to see what works best for you. The same is true for pain medications as well. As we always say, each person's recovery is unique!!!

Thanks for the clarification, Jamie--I was having brain farts and confused Tramadol with Toradol. I've found Aleve to be better for me--it's stronger and I have to take it less often than Advil. And as long as I remember to take my PPI (Dexilant) at bedtime, no heartburn either. And I have decided to do just one 650 mg. time-release acetaminophen BID on non-PT days.

Funny about uniqueness of recovery--5 weeks post-op now, and though I can now walk around the house caneless, I still need a cane for outdoor walking. I ditched the raised toilet seat with the rails because the latter were getting in the way--but it's still tough getting up off that low-slung toilet in my downstairs bathroom. Maybe I'll just get a drop-on seat topper. (upstairs my toilet is "comfort height," a little lower than "geriatric"). I can alternate feet going downstairs as long as I have two banisters, but it's tougher going up--which is the opposite of my pre-op experience. Today is my first day of spacing the 5 mg. of Norco out to every 8 hrs.--I think I'll be fine because of the Aleve & acetaminophen. The big 4 things I can't do yet: drive (or at least I haven't tried and won't if I'm on any opioid); cross a main street that lacks a median island; get into the back seat of a van or SUV without a stepstool; and get up on to a stage any taller than 8" without a rail and/or stepstool.

Be sure you are adding up all the acetaminophen you're taking each day. Norco has it as well as any Tylenol or generic you are taking. You should have no more than 1000mg per dose (4 hours apart) and no more than 4000mg total in 24 hours.

I'm well aware of acetaminophen's potential renal and hepatic toxicity. I'm sticking to the new FDA recommendation of under 3000 mg. (down from the 4000 mg. my OS' PA told me) from all sources per day. Though the bottle on the 650-mg. extended release tabs says 1 or 2 BID, the 1300 mg. of the two-tab dose that gets ingested is released slowly through the day rather than as a bolus. Thus 2 of each BID is less of a total load than 3 doses of two 500mg extra strength or rapid-release per day (and certainly less than the 4 doses of extra-strength if one takes it q. 6h); and I take only 650 mg. of the time-release per dose except on the mornings I have PT--when I take 1300 in the morning and 650 at night. Now, today starts my q. 8h schedule (down from q.6h) of 5mg. Norco--but instead of taking 5 mg. Norco#1 tabs, which have 325mg. acetaminophen each, I take half a 10mg. #2 tablet, which half has only 162.5mg. (Norco #2 has only 325 mg., same as the #1, regardless of the dose of hydrocodone). And Sunday I go to BID on Norco for two days, and hopefully none at all by Tues. 7/31! So on a day like today, when I took two extended release this morning before PT and will take one at bedtime, plus three half-tabs of Norco#2, my total acetaminophen dose will have been 2437.5mg; on a non-PT day like tomorrow, it'll be 1787.5mg. Sunday, when I switch to BID on the Norco and also don't have PT, it'll be a total of 1625mg.--Monday, when I start outpatient PT, it'll be a total of 2275mg, and by Tuesday, when I'm off Norco, I'll be down to 1300 mg/day total of acetaminophen on non-PT days and 1950 when I have PT. And perhaps that extra tab of acetaminophen on PT days can be just a single rapid-release 500-mg. tab half an hour before therapy starts, bringing the day's total down to 1800. All well within even the new FDA limits.

Good for you!!! An informed consumer! It's great to hear.

Actually, the anti-inflammatory that worked best for me (first for dysmenorrhea and later for arthritis) was the cox-2 inhibitor Vioxx, which was pulled from the market (along with its sister drug Bextra). When my peri-op doctor (the internist the hospital assigned me in preparation for my TKR) took me off Aleve and put me on Celebrex, I mentioned my experience with Vioxx and expressed regret that it was no longer available. She grinned and replied "that's why I stockpiled a whole bunch of them." Still waiting to hear from my surgeon's office. (grrrrr).

Vioxx was the best wasn't it! I was so upset when it was pulled off the market! I have taken Celebrex for about 3-4 years now and I love it but not as much as vioxx. I learned one very important lesson: if you are taking Celebrex Do Not take the NSAIDs! I have a picture of my calf and what happened to my leg on my thread. Scary stuff!

I was asked, after I jumped in with both feet on myriad threads in the KR Recovery area, where my own thread was, and I realized with chagrin that as usual I put "Descartes before dehors" (sorry, I am a pun addict) by joining other peoples' stories without introducing my own. I am a 61-year old nearly-retired lawyer and full-time performing singer-songwriter-instrumentalist; married 41 yrs. to a cardiologist (we were both newly-minted college grads when we married, and he hadn't planned on going into medicine) and proud mom of a 27-yr-old son who is a college-and-conservatory-trained improv actor (hey, we're in Chicago) and producer/director of his own improv team, which he led to a national collegiate championship.

How'd I get here? Well, other than the usual ankle-sprains back in the days of platform sandals, and discovery of a worn cervical facet joint at 31, injuries & arthritis had been complete strangers to me. I was a day hiker, an avid distance walker and X-C skier, when weather permitted. When not lawyering, I had been not just a folksinger but even a bassist in a couple of rock bands (wearing a heavy solidbody bass as I pranced in spandex & heels). I was reasonably trim, despite a C-section at 33, until one winter night in 1991 just before my 40th birthday; on the way back, in freezing drizzle, from a downtown theater to the garage, I slipped and fell on invisible ice in the middle of an intersection. Had an MRI which revealed a mild L ACL strain--but was given no physical therapy, just a cane and a scrip for ibuprofen. It took me months to lose the pain and the limp, but it made exercise intolerable and I ballooned to about 10 lbs. heavier than my current weight.

In 1994, I was at DisneyMGM Studios in Orlando and got picked from the audience to be in the Indy Jones Stunt Show, presumably only to repeat the bloodcurdling scream that won me the audition. Figuring they weren't gonna ask a middle-aged fat lady to do anything physical, I stupidly signed a release. After the initial montage, which featured a cloud of fog (which I thought was stage fog), we were called up onstage and told to go through some motions, one of which was to run in place. I took three steps, my left foot hit a puddle of condensed fog, and down I went--both feeling and hearing the sound of ripping paper on the inside of my knee. Got an MRI when I got home--and found I'd not just torn my L medial meniscus but totally ruptured my ACL. We had a nonrefundable prepaid trip to China coming up in 6 weeks and I was neither an athlete nor a dancer, so my OS (a varsity downhill skier who lost both his ACLs in competition and still helicopter-skiied) nixed a full ACL reconstruction--instead suturing the meniscus tear and trimming away the frayed remnants of my ACL via arthroscopy. I did aggressive PT and 6 weeks later walked on the Great Wall. But my L knee was never the same--alternately stiff and unstable--and I could never run or pivot quickly again. And traumatic arthritis set in.

In Dec. 1996, as I crossed a street (with the light) just after dusk, I was hit by a car which turned right w/o signaling (and had no headlights). I couldn't run or pivot out of the way because of that trick L knee. Down I went--my R tibial plateau was shattered, with the tibia & fibula also fractured. It took open reduction & internal fixation surgery, with a bone graft and 13 screws & 2 plates, to save the leg. Did >2 weeks in hospital and rehab--I wore a 35-lb cast-brace and was nonweightbearing, with a walker, for 10 weeks, so until that cast came off the only way out of my house was via very strong men carrying me & my wheelchair down and back up my front staircase. I did 6 weeks of outpatient PT, and despite being able to walk for a decade therafter w/o a cane, arthritis hit the R knee too. And needless to say, exercise was no fun. As I got heavier, the vicious cycle took over--sedentary, weight gain, more arthritis in both knees--the L hurting more than the R. And the hardware stayed in--my tib-fib was basically bone chips & epoxy. Swimming felt like dragging someone else's leg through the water. As to the L knee, it got so bad that Suppartz and cortisone didn't work--there wasn't enough cartilage left to supplement. I asked my OS if I needed a knee replacement and he replied "You tell me." But I thought that if I tried to lose weight I could hold it off--and I was afraid of surgery and ultimately, too undisciplined to lose weight and keep it off. Despite the state of my knees, in 2002 I joined the cast of the annual Chicago Bar Assn. musical (aka the "Bar Show")--which, even for us non-dancers, had some choreography and much stair-climbing between dressing rooms and stage. (The significance of the Bar Show will show up in Part 2). Wasn't too bad the first few years, but it got so bad by 2009 that I had to wear neoprene sleeves on both knees for rehearsal & performance. Meanwhile, I'd unconsciously altered my gait so much that I developed a stress fx. in my L foot (the podiatrist disagreed with the OS and called it cuboid syndrome). Whatever--it made walking, even with orthotics, even more painful. When I was not performing (the adrenaline made me forget my pain), my former mountain-hiking staff morphed into a full-time cane.

In June 2010 on vacation in San Diego, I discovered to my chagrin that my R knee had become painful and stiff, with a swelling behind it that my husband recognized as a Baker's cyst. Though it resorbed, one day I sat down, stood up, took 5 steps and screamed: I felt my R knee tear, this time on the outside. At the ER they thought it might be a torn PCL and set me up with an appt. with another OS (who'd treated the stress fx in my L foot a year earlier when his partner, my usual OS, went on leave and stopped doing surgery). He sent me home for a week, refusing to do an MRI until the swelling went down--it was too severe for him to manipulate the leg and he didn't want me to spend the $ on an MRI I might either not need or would result in arthroscopy anyway. I came back, he manipulated it (it kept snapping & popping) and diagnosed a torn lateral meniscus. Because it was in the portion w/o a blood supply he couldn't suture it but could only trim away the torn part. I had 6 weeks of outpatient PT but never got past 120 deg. of flexion. And I kept feeling it snap and tear every now & then. I made it through the 2010 Bar Show only with the neoprene sleeves and some leftover Voltaren (Rx NSAID topical) gel.

I went back to the OS and was X-rayed. The L knee was bone-on bone in the medial compartment. I asked him about replacement, and like his partner he replied "You tell me." I asked about a PKR, and he said it was out of the question because I had no ACL. He prescribed Flector patches (long-acting Rx Voltaren) and an "unloader" brace to shift the weight off my medial compartment until I felt ready for a LTKR. As to the R, he dismissed the snapping and popping as residual stiffness and assured me I wasn't reinjuring anything. And he said that from what he saw when he'd scoped me that summer, I had enough articular cartilage in my R knee that talk of a replacement was premature. I told him that Suppartz hadn't helped my L knee so I doubted it'd work in my R, and he agreed. A shot of cortisone and a neoprene sleeve didn't stop the snapping and popping, so I went to an orthotist for a stability brace for the R knee. It was so unwieldy that I looked like a Transformer, and it didn't help.

(Part 2 to follow)

Hi Diva! I think I'm still on too many post surgery pills to read that many words all at once! Lol! That looks to be quite the journey that's led you to this point. Hope things are going well for you now!

Prequel Part 2:
I wore that L unloader brace under pants & long dresses and over jeans whenever I had to stand up to perform for >1 hr or walk the exhibit halls at music and pen-collector conventions. At the latter, countless pals exhorted me to get my knee replaced while I still had some mobility. I kept procrastinating. Came the 2011 Bar Show--with the unloader brace (fashionably purple) over my jeans and the neoprene sleeves over them, I somehow got through rehearsals--although the stopping and starting and even slight knee bends were agonizing. During the run of the show, I was able to hide the unloader brace beneath all my costumes except jeans. I had more costume changes than ever before--and since I was playing rhythm guitar with the band on a couple of numbers (and the guitar was in the orchestra pit), even more stair climbing. Were it not for the braces, neoprene sleeves, Flector patches and Aleve I'd never have made it through the run. On closing night at the cast party--icebags on both knees and champagne in hand--I mentioned to a castmate that I wasn't doing this again without getting my knees done. She replied her husband was the top joint replacement OS in Chicago. Looked him up on the Internet and asked around, and darned if she wasn't right. Set aside Jan. & Feb. for rehab, but to my chagrin he was in such demand that I couldn't get an appt. until Feb. He took X-rays of both knees. The L knee was by now totally bone-on-bone in both compartments, though only the medial one hurt (and constantly at that).

I told him I was contemplating a BTKR--but to my surprise he said he didn't recommend it: at my age and weight, with asthma, hardware in my R leg, and allergies to every antibiotic other than cephalosporins and tetracyclines (the "mycins"), the risk of complications from being on the table so long, and of infection, were just too high. Besides, rehab goes faster with one "good leg to stand on." I said, ok, let's do the L one first because it hurt more. Again, to my surprise, he said, "No, I think your R knee is in sorrier shape. You're bone-on-bone in the lateral compartment and I bet you ARE continuing to chew up that lateral meniscus. And you don't even have 120 degrees of flexion." He pointed out it'd be a complex surgery, requiring him to remove the top 2 screws--but if I got through that internal fixation and protracted non-weightbearing period back in 1996, this one wouldn't be as bad by comparison (though it would still be extremely painful the first few days). The soonest he could schedule it was late March--but I'd had conferences and concerts scheduled clear up through the first week of June, so we settled on June 12. Got my teeth cleaned in April. In late May I did all my pre-op exams, more X-rays & bloodwork and went to "knee class." I got back after my last June out-of-town concert and found a message that the surgery had to be postponed to June 22 due to an urgent out-of-town meeting my OS had. So I got my ducks in a row: played my last in-town concerts, rearranged my meds as directed, did a sleep lab study (and got fitted for an anti-apnea dental appliance since the peri-op doc didn't think I needed a PAP machine), went to my naprapath to get my back and psoas muscles limbered up, set up my downstairs front room & bath as my temporary living quarters, got a hot orange pedicure, and made sure I'd have help upon my return.

I had my doubts--as bad as the R knee was supposed to be, the L one felt worse. I nearly chickened out twice, and almost turned around as I drove down Lake Shore Drive on the way to the hospital (my last time behind the wheel till at least next week). Checked in and waited. First, the femoral & sciatic block catheters were placed--piece of cake. Then IVs in each hand (I've always been a "tough stick," and this time was no exception). Then the biggie: the epidural. It had been easy before my C-section in 1984, but by now my childhood scoliosis (which I'd forgotten about because it had been too mild to treat) made it tricky and painful (it took 4 tries to get it in straight, 3 of which felt like lightning bolts down the R side of my spine). The epi took effect and I was totally numb from the waist down. The surgeon came in and it felt and looked like he'd produced someone else's leg from beneath the table. I could hear my R knee crunch as he bent it, and knew I was doing the right thing. Finally, I was wheeled in at just before 4pm (we'd been scheduled for noon).

Hi Diva! I think I'm still on too many post surgery pills to read that many words all at once! Lol! That looks to be quite the journey that's led you to this point. Hope things are going well for you now!
:iagree: Yes, everything that Janet said. Also, have you thought of starting your own blog? Might be a good way to chronicle your TKR and have a permanent record of your adventures. :)

Post-op journey, days 1-3:
Day of surgery:
I awoke to find it was nearly 7 pm. My OS said the good news was that I didn't need any blood transfusions and that the surgery "went well," with my R leg straightened and more even with the L. The unsettling news was that it took twice as long: my tibial plateau had begun to re-fracture and he had to remove 4, not 2 screws and more bone than originally contemplated. I was feeling pretty good--no pain whatsoever, though I could feel my trunk and left leg. But I couldn't feel my R leg at all--not even the foot. I couldn't wiggle my toes. Uh-oh. I was given a little Oxycontin in my IV and wheeled up to my room. My husband, son, his ex-girlfriend (who boards with us) & my housekeeper were there waiting for me. I don't remember much about the rest of that night except I didn't really feel anything till morning--and that I got fragmented sleep, since I was being visited constantly for finger-sticks, blood draws, vitals, pain assessments, meds, anticoagulant shots, etc. My feet & legs had been placed in compression-pump booties which whooshed rhythmically. Had I not been flying on 2 Norco #2s every 4 hrs and a PCA pump (presumably morphine or Fentanyl), that sound--and the sirens outside and the patient in the next room's CPAP machine--would have kept me totally awake. As it was, I think I might have gotten 3 hrs. of sleep in fits & starts. Oddly, I experienced no nausea at all (and still haven't).
Day 1 post-op:
I awoke to the heady smell of flowers--oh, no, was I dead and smelling my own funeral lilies? Nope--my sister in VA had sent a vase of roses, hydrangeas, heather, snapdragons and delphinium. I called to thank her, still dopey from the painkillers and sleep-deprivation. Oh, brother, was I starting to feel the burn in my knee, despite my foot and front of thigh still being utterly numb. In came the PT, who sat me up, made me dangle my R leg over the side of my bed (OWWW!). Then it seemed as if I'd lain down for only an instant before she came back, put my leg in an immobilizer, and declared it was time to get up, get dressed, and go to the lounge chair. Was she kidding? Apparently not. I was handed a non-wheeled walker, an assortment of tools to pull on my underpants & shorts; I eschewed the bra and just put a huge tee on instead. No shoes--had those slipper-booties instead. Up I stood. The R leg was really starting to hurt (by now the sciatic block was starting to wear off and I understood what a "10" was on the pain scale) but I was surprised by how shaky the L knee felt--and how loudly IT was starting to crunch--whenever I stood. Made it to the chair, the splint was removed, I was told to do leg raises and ankle pumps (by now I could feel my ankle but not the foot). Every leg raise was met with a stern "you can do better." Oy. My OS visited, and said I was doing really well with my raises & bends--75 degrees of flex, nearly 0 extension. (Take that, Ms. PT)! After what seemed like forever I was let back into bed. And I finally got food: a fruit punch and two jellos. (Of course, the food, though liquids, had its intended effect--and I apologize profoundly to the two solidly built nurses who must have wrenched their backs getting me on and off the bedpan).
Day 2 post-op:
I could feel the back of my knee & thigh, as the sciatic block had worn off. I found out what was in the PCA pump: more anesthetic, not morphine, for my femoral block. More pills, blood draws, vitals, pain assessments, finger sticks. In came breakfast: rude awakening was that it included decaf, artificially sweetened salt-free everything, skim milk and Promise margarine...but regular OJ and white toast. I asked why no sugar, and was told I was on a diabetic diet--my morning blood sugar was 150. Well duh--what'd they expect after a fruit punch & 2 jellos? My preprandials later on were below 120, but I never got sugar the whole time I was in hospital. Another visit from my OS, bearing regards from his wife--we made small talk for awhile. The bladder catheter was yanked (yay!), I got lunch (grilled cheese) and I was given the option of shuffling to the bathroom. I pleaded instead for a bedside commode, and got it. "Walkies" today included to the commode, the chair (where I did my teeth & a sponge bath as best I could with no mirror--I felt my hair, which had gone into surgery sleek & straight, now alternately sweat-drenched and dried into Medusa-like corkscrew curls) and to the threshhold of my doorway. Husband and son came to visit. My best friends came in (bearing more flowers and a hilarious card: "you paid HOW much for a joint and didn't get high?") and we sat for three hours, through dinner and bedtime decaf. Oh, I'd have killed for a latte from one of the three dueling espresso-bars in the lobby, but I was still off caffeine. The nurse came to remove the femoral catheter & pump--the femoral block was wearing off. The PT came in, I told her my home situation (stairs to get into my home, nobody to take care of me during the evenings till my husband came home at midnight, exhausted from rounds) and she and the social worker agreed to recommend I be placed in rehab.
Day 3 post-op:
I hurt. I HURT. (Though not as much as when I broke my leg and wasn't allowed so much as a Tylenol for 10 hrs.).Finally, bacon and real scrambled eggs--but still decaf! PT came in: this time we shuffled to the doorway, then 6 feet out into the hall, and back--and I used the regular bathroom. In came the social worker: good news, my insurer ok'd inpatient rehab; bad news--RIC (part of the hospital) and Bowman (part of Rush, where I rehabbed my broken leg) weren't covered; the one nearest my home (affiliated with a great health club) nor the one in Skokie--built just for joint replacement rehab--my OS preferred were both booked solid for weeks. My OS came in, we talked, and commiserated that unless health care changed for the better, this was as good as it'd get in our lifetimes. After much wrangling (most approved facilities were pretty lousy chains, according to my husband, except of course for the one WAY southwest where he's chief of cardio and nobody but he would be able to visit me), we found a facility that's part of a continuing-care community in upscale Lincoln Park/DePaul (though not as upscale as the hospital's neighborhood, Gold Coast/Streeterville). It was a half-mile walk from the CTA elevated train, so my non-driver son could visit me every day. The hospital's Director of Public & Patient Relations came in to ask me about my stay and wish me well. My housekeeper packed the car with my flowers and the remaining two days' clothing & toiletries; she followed the wheelchair van that took me to the rehab center--my home for the next 10 days.

:iagree: Yes, everything that Janet said. Also, have you thought of starting your own blog? Might be a good way to chronicle your TKR and have a permanent record of your adventures. :)
I do have a blog on my own website, but I haven't had a chance to update it in several days. Having too much fun over here!

Days 3-14, aka Inpatient Rehab:
Rehab center room was nicer than hospital room (sofa, easy chair, flat-screen TV), but no denying the place was a nursing home: just one nurse per shift, with CNAs the interface between them & patients. Only some of us on the floor were joint-replacement patients--some had underlying stroke damage as well. One or two were there for hospice and a few for long-term care, no longer able to handle assisted living. Had to fight for my right to Norcos every 4 hrs--they tried to put me on the nurse's schedule, which changed with each night shift--either it was an hour late or an hour early--I'd put it aside and then oversleep. And the food? Ick. Starch, starch and more starch. Almost never hot. Generic sugar-free everything, despite my finger sticks never topping 100. No salt. Decaf only (despite my asthma). Inexplicably, though generic margarine (not the cholesterol-reducing stuff either), either whole or 2% milk at every meal. "Hot" cereal was congealed to the point where I could stick a spoon in and turn it into a cream-of-wheat-sicle. Outside food was supposed to be approved by the dietician before it could be brought in--and the street on which the facility lay was yuppie-restaurant heaven. My husband was allowed to visit after-hours because he's a doctor, but my son was turned away (on a brutally hot night) for being just five minutes past visiting hours. My son, his ex-GF, and my housekeeper were my Starbucks smugglers. Day 2 of rehab my internist's PA came in and I told her of my need for caffeine, and the normal blood sugar levels. She agreed to order a hemoglobin A1C to settle the matter once and for all--and it came back well below pre-diabetic levels. I pulled out my stash of Dove dark chocolate nuggets and we celebrated. 3d day of rehab was our 41st anniv--but since alcohol was still a no-no due to the warfarin, we had to skip the champagne and instead toast with lime seltzer in plastic flutes (actually, pilsener glasses) and whitefish caviar, which I was allowed to have smuggled in and stashed at the nurses' station. Still had to fight for my right to coffee--for days, the kitchen didn't get the memo and I had to cadge some from the nurses' own stash. I offered to pay, and finally the kitchen began to brew me the real thing...and my head stopped hurting and my lungs opened up. And every tray was heaped with sugar and salt packets. Luckily, I had some honey and maple syrup brought in from home, to make my ice-cold mushy farina & oatmeal semi-palatable.

Had PT and OT every day. Came in barely able to negotiate a walker--they had wheeled ones, thank goodness. I rapidly progressed to crutches, then a single crutch, when not using the wheelchair (a welcome relief when tired, and convenient for all the time I had to spend online, watching stupefyingly boring continuing legal ed. videos to keep my law license active. I had to reassure the staff that the only reason I was watching health-care-litigation videos was because they (and entertainment law) kept me awake. Rehab Day 4 I was introduced to the recumbent elliptical trainer, which suddenly loosened up everything. By Day 5 I was at 95 degrees flexion, my guitar was brought in, and I helped the Activities Coordinator lead the choir; we harmonized and did guitar duets. Meanwhile, in my air-conditioned splendor I missed out on triple-digit heat and damaging storms (awwwww....). Rehab Day 6 I tried a quad-cane and the PT agreed I should switch to a plain cane, which my son brought from home (more stable than the hiking cane I had with me). Rehab Day 8 (Day 10 post-op) the wound care nurse thought my leg looked blotchy red & swollen and felt warm. (My husband noticed the night before and had a note placed in my chart to order a venous Doppler). My OS' office called while I was in PT and urged me to come in stat. Took forever to get a wheelchair taxi but I got there (with the facility's official escort). He looked at and felt the leg, and said it was fine--the redness was very sensitive skin. He then asked me if I'd like to get the staples out--he took them out and declared I was ready to go home any time I wanted. I told him and his PA I could use the extra couple of days of therapy. Besides,I noticed earlier that for July 4, an old friend from my early folk club days was entertaining at the center--I e-mailed him, and we played the party together. The Activities Director herself was impressed. That night, my husband made it there in time for us to watch the TV fireworks together. After he left, I wheeled up to the dayroom to hang with patients & staff to watch all the fireworks around Chicago. July 5 was discharge day--we'd begun the process of sending stuff home ahead of time. Wound care nurse told me I still had two staples in (thought so, but wasn't about to challenge the OS, since he was the one with the sharp pointy object in his hand) and could not leave until they came out. I said "So take them out," and he replied he needed a doctor's order. I said that was crazy--obviously the OS had thought he'd already removed them. He was unavailable. My internist was also AWOL. Finally, just before I was due to leave, the nurse came in and took out the staples. I asked which doctor had come through and he grinned, "Your husband." Wheeled down to the courtyard--it was stifling hot out, even though it had just rained. The staff was amazed to see me stand from the chair and ease myself into the passenger seat. The Activities Director came down and asked for my and my duo's contact info--she'd like to hire me and my singing partner to entertain this fall & winter! So home I went. The deck stairs loomed....but taking one step at a time, I made it up them painlessly. For the first time in two weeks, I was in my own house, own kitchen (I could cook real food, yay!) and petted my three kitties. My housekeeper left, my son went to his show, and I was alone for the first time.

Hi Diva, I enjoyed reading you story! Welcome to the BoneSmart family!:friends: It was quite an ordeal that brought you up to a knee replacement. It's to bad you couldn't get them both done at the same time. I wish you well and a speedy recovery! Do you have any idea when you'll have your left one done?

Thanks, Jacky! I will discuss what I can do to keep my L knee from deteriorating further as I rehab the R one. Tentatively, I'm looking at early January for the L: have music conferences, festivals and gigs booked Labor Day weekend, most weekends in Oct. and the second one in Nov. Looking at spending most of Aug. going downstate to finish recording: working on our duo's third CD, my second solo album and our first Christmas album. Depending on how much of it gets tracked, mixed & mastered, I may or may not be able to do the Bar Show this fall if I have too many out-of-town gigs and radio station visits to promote it. Of course, the second half of Sept. is our Budapest-Amsterdam river cruise; a large part of my rehab from now till then is aimed at getting strong enough to do all that cobblestone-street and steep hill/stone step-walking on the shore excursions. The ship looks wonderful, but we're taking the trip to experience the cities we visit, not just gaze at them from the deck whilst nursing a cappuccino.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Third week post-op, first week home:
Home again, trying to adjust my condition to my routine and vice versa. Though I could climb the stairs to my bedroom, I was advised to limit my stair climbs to one per day--which my pending excursions required; so I bedded down on the daybed in my front room. My TV, computer, PolarCare machine, phones, and a week at a time's worth of exercise clothes, undies and nightwear were all within reach or a couple of footsteps. The downstairs bath had a shower-transfer bench, hand-held shower, raised toilet-frame with rails, and all my hair products & dryer (the most important, of course).
Everyone had warned me pre-op that "the first two weeks are sheer hell." For me, I had 3 days of hell and 11 days of heck. Difficult but not unbearable. I think my experience with the broken leg and its aftermath prepared me.

I had been taking 2 Norco #2s (10/325 ea.) q. 4 hrs. in rehab; now it was time to start tapering. First few days I stretched the interval to 4-1/2, then 5 hrs. My first full day home I had an unpleasant surprise: my housekeeper couldn't come in. She was (and still is) helping her husband through radiation treatments, with their visits to the VA hospital in early morning and then me for the afternoon. But her husband had fainted--he was too weak to push his own wheelchair--after that morning's treatment and they had to go home. The weakness turned out to have been because he wasn't eating enough for the insulin he was also taking, and he was also severely dehydrated in Chicago's triple-digit heat. (Update 7/28: he is almost through treatment and walking again). My son the night owl (he seldom gets home from his shows before 2 am) was asleep on the sofa most of the day. His ex-GF helped me by doing laundry (I couldn't use the basement stairs, nor climb while holding anything) and feeding the kitties; but I was otherwise on my own. Not a peep from the followup nurse or home health service--had no idea what was up. After several calls, I managed to set up a nurse and PT visit starting the next day. But first, I had a commitment to keep: I had missed the last 6 monthly songwriter circles at the Old Town School of Folk Music due to travel or gigs, but not this time (and I had a new song I'd debuted at the rehab center). With the help of a taxi, my cane, and the loan of a guitar (so I could use both hands for the railing & cane), I made it. I was immensely uncomfortable sitting, and I couldn't elevate my leg high enough without more pain, but I didn't care: I was back in the world again. Nurse came in the morning for vitals and INR/pro-time finger-stick; so far so good and my warfarin was cut back a bit. Then came my routine for the next week-and-a-half: get up, take meds, shower, get into exercise clothes, make coffee & light bkfst. and await PT. We got to 107 degrees this first session. He suggested moist heat before exercising, and moisturizing the scar. But there was a casualty of the night before: I'd broken a thumbnail, and couldn't get the hang of using a thumbpick, and had missed my manicure appt. in order to get discharged from rehab. And I had a mini-concert (part of a showcase) coming up Mon. night. Luckily, my salon was able to take me, so I called for a taxi and got there just fine. Decided to throw caution to the wind and hail a taxi back rather than phone--and up pulled the first Prius V I'd ever seen. Wonder of wonders, I didn't have to ask the driver to sit up front: the back seat was low enough to step up into and far back enough to give my leg lots of room. Would that all cabs were like that. Mon. night I had it planned: my son would carry my instruments so I could negotiate stairs. First hurdle: cab dispatcher refused to let me specify sitting up front, saying I needed a special permit (I went over her head to her supervisor and got a driver willing to let me sit up front anyway). Next, got to the club--and found I was not only early but my set would be pushed back to later in the order because I needed to sit in front of the foot-high stage--which might as well have been Mt. Everest since there was neither railing nor intermediate step. They were able to set everything up so that I ended the first half and opened the second--but I ended up staying out for 7 hours without taking my Norcos (which would have made me too woozy to play neatly and sing on-key). Had to stand outside 10 min. before being able to hail a cab home. Next day I cut back to 1.5 Norcos every 5 hrs. Little by little, I began to get the hang of things, but still allocating sitting--standing--lying down/elevating was tricky (and would remain so for a couple more weeks). Was sleeping 5-6 hrs. at night, but still needed many mini-naps during the day. The true joy was being able to cook on my new stove and use my espresso machine again. And my son capped things off by hosting a party Sun. night--and I was up to the task.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kneelythere
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom